• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    It may just be me, but I personally don't see a whole lot of quality in the posts condemning bman1903. Sure, he tried to spoof his way around the rules, but I'd rather see a few of his junk posts than this kind of petty hostility expressed for such a minor infraction.

There are a lot of things that draw people to a website. In this case the draw was commercial which I don't think is a bad thing. I can somewhat understand the need for the 10 post rule for access to the private messaging function, but on the other hand I don't think it is serving any good purpose in this instance. It would absolutely have been better for bman1903 to contact administrators for an exception, but some of you guys are being pretty harsh.

Not harsh. The OP admitted he tried to game the system. He got caught and then posted how he didn't like the rule. Notice that he wasn't banned even though he knowingly tried to point out what he thought of a site he wasn't wanting to contribute to. If he does get his 10 posts he might have problems in the classifieds due to his actions to date. You call it a minor infraction and I call it a blatant attempt to cheat. I don't care if you are cheating in a card game or cheating on your taxes, cheating is cheating period.

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Wow, this is still at the top of the page huh, I thought it would be at the bottom by now. I guess I ruffled some of your feathers with my post. I was just commenting on my experience using the site for the first time, (since this is the COMMENT section) and how it might be off-putting to new people if they cant use the boards for what they intended. I see the rule as a hoop, yes, beacuse I could have said nothing and made a bunch of bs posts to get to 10 and been on my merry way and noone would have known. Now I have to comtemplate if I want to spend time finding useful things to post or just forget the whole thing, not very condusive to getting new people on board. However, on the other hand I said I saw the point because of spam, and I never said it should be changed, etc.

Not sure why people would ban me, block me, etc. considering I have been perfectly HONEST with everything I have done. I am not hiding anything, I just wanted to contact a member to BUY something.

Not sure where some of you got that I wanted to sell things and that I am a dealer, and that I would have trouble in the ad section because of my reputation? I never said I wanted to SELL anything, I just wanted to BUY something? I don't really see how you can even call online forum talk building a reputation. How would you know if someone is safe to deal with from just forum talk. A guy with 0 posts can be more honest than someone with 100. Personally the nice thing I saw about the ads here is that they are local (within state) so you can actually meet someone face-to-face rather than through email, etc. That was the appeal to me, and I am sure that if I was standing in front of someone with cash in hand they wouldn't refuse the sale because I said I tried to make 10 bs posts on here.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Now I have to comtemplate if I want to spend time finding useful things to post or just forget the whole thing, not very condusive to getting new people on board.

Nothing personal here, as we don't know much about you at this point, but if you really have to think about whether or not you will "find useful things to post" then you're not exactly the kind of person that INGO is looking to get on board.

:twocents:

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    :+1:and you my friend just made my Blocked User List and you share that spot with yourself. I do not have time for people who are only here to scam the system, a very telling autobiography :xmad:

I could have made 10 posts like this one :noway:

I guess my post offended you, I am sorry for that, but why would someone make a post like this? Really, if I am new, a troll, dealer, whoever, what do I care if someone blocks me. When you have something for sale and can't sell it don't ask why, I could have been the person to buy it (not that you would care because I am a criminal)......kinda goofy to me

In my original post I was trying to make the point that there isn't much difference in me making 10 posts that say post 1, post 2, etc, than a comment like this one, or one that says I am a bitcher, whinner. Thats when my original posts got deleted and I was told not to do that. But thanks for reinforcing my point, so to get to 10 I'll just be a bully and tell random people I have blocked them because I don't like their posts, then they'll really learn alot about firearms. Do I like to ruffle feathers , I think you guys might have inherited a sarcastic A$$:D

Bman

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I could have made 10 posts like this one :noway:

I guess my post offended you, I am sorry for that, but why would someone make a post like this? Really, if I am new, a troll, dealer, whoever, what do I care if someone blocks me. When you have something for sale and can't sell it don't ask why, I could have been the person to buy it (not that you would care because I am a criminal)......kinda goofy to me

Bman

You have 4 sarcastic and bitchy posts up till now.

I mean really!? You don't own a handgun? You don't have a camera? You don't care about politics?

The top of most sections (especially the classifieds) has a sticky. If you read it you'll know more.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In my original post I was trying to make the point that there isn't much difference in me making 10 posts that say post 1, post 2, etc, than a comment like this one, or one that says I am a bitcher, whinner.

Bman

We don't allow one-liners because we want people to post the kind of content that allows other members to "get a feel" for the new member.

So far all your 4 posts have given everyone here, including sellers of merchandise, a "feel" for what kind of person you are.

Again I will say that I mean nothing personal. You may be a great guy, but all I have to go on right now are your posts on this board so far.

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Nothing personal here, as we don't know much about you at this point, but if you really have to think about whether or not you will "find useful things to post" then you're not exactly the kind of person that INGO is looking to get on board.

:twocents:

Wasn't necessarily talking about ME, just anyone NEW in general, but I understand what you are saying

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    We don't allow one-liners because we want people to post the kind of content that allows other members to "get a feel" for the new member.

So far all your 4 posts have given everyone here, including sellers of merchandise, a "feel" for what kind of person you are.

Again I will say that I mean nothing personal. You may be a great guy, but all I have to go on right now are your posts on this board so far.

Guess you guys will get me to 10 pretty quick after all......I am not trying to be bitchy, and I don't take anyones comments personally, so don't worry. You have this rule in place to get to know people, so I guess your getting to know me. Myabe the wrong impression, but I am sarcastic, and I do like to argue. I guess my original post was to vent because I have been searching around for awhile.......found it, and got excited that I found it, only to be told....OH Wait you need to do this first, so I was let down, so to say, and yes I vented about it because all I wanted to do is CONTACT someone, but hey your guys site, your rules.

Maybe its because these boards are different from what I am used to and I don't know it yet, but I find your type of comment funny, because if I contacted you and said hey, you have such and such for sale lets meet so I can look it over, would you say hold on, let me look over the boards to get a "feel" for your reputation?.....Maybe you would, I don't know, but I wouldn't i would get a feel for you in person, because thats a little more real than the internet. Not trying to bitch on this point, but now a couple of you have said this, and its a little confusing to me.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    We have been talking to eachother for awhile now. I met a few members from INGO for the first time last weekend but it didn't seem like I never met them. That's what we are talking about here. After a while you will know what the mods, 4sarge, melensdad, Prometheus, etc. like to post about, what guns they had fall in lakes or rivers, and how much they like bacon.

Keep posting away!

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    As a complete side note from any of this. I did find these boards through a google search and was taken to the for sale ads, otherwise I wouldn't know anything about these boards. I browsed the site a little for shotgun topics, and I thought "hey this is kinda cool, everyone from the same state" I have been heavily collecting firearms for about 7 years now, and I am an active member of another popular boards, NOT ARFCOM, why haven't I heard of this board before, is it not advertised? How did other people find it?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wow, this is still at the top of the page huh, I thought it would be at the bottom by now. I guess I ruffled some of your feathers with my post. I was just commenting on my experience using the site for the first time, (since this is the COMMENT section) and how it might be off-putting to new people if they cant use the boards for what they intended. I see the rule as a hoop, yes, beacuse I could have said nothing and made a bunch of bs posts to get to 10 and been on my merry way and noone would have known. Now I have to comtemplate if I want to spend time finding useful things to post or just forget the whole thing, not very condusive to getting new people on board. However, on the other hand I said I saw the point because of spam, and I never said it should be changed, etc.

Not sure why people would ban me, block me, etc. considering I have been perfectly HONEST with everything I have done. I am not hiding anything, I just wanted to contact a member to BUY something.

Not sure where some of you got that I wanted to sell things and that I am a dealer, and that I would have trouble in the ad section because of my reputation? I never said I wanted to SELL anything, I just wanted to BUY something? I don't really see how you can even call online forum talk building a reputation. How would you know if someone is safe to deal with from just forum talk. A guy with 0 posts can be more honest than someone with 100. Personally the nice thing I saw about the ads here is that they are local (within state) so you can actually meet someone face-to-face rather than through email, etc. That was the appeal to me, and I am sure that if I was standing in front of someone with cash in hand they wouldn't refuse the sale because I said I tried to make 10 bs posts on here.
    Good for you for being honest sir. Your comments are very telling, showing very little regard for anyone but yourself. It makes you wonder what some of our other members who only use the classifieds think?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Maybe its because these boards are different from what I am used to and I don't know it yet, but I find your type of comment funny, because if I contacted you and said hey, you have such and such for sale lets meet so I can look it over, would you say hold on, let me look over the boards to get a "feel" for your reputation?.....Maybe you would, I don't know, but I wouldn't i would get a feel for you in person, because thats a little more real than the internet. Not trying to bitch on this point, but now a couple of you have said this, and its a little confusing to me.

Actually, some people don't want to meet face to face until they get a sense for whether or not the person is whacky. It's not likely that you'd get held up during the transaction, but some people are paranoid about who they interact with, especially when it comes to guns. It also comes down to whether or not you waste your time. A few individuals have shown themselves to be unreliable and dishonest. For example, you set up a time and place to meet the guy, arrive early, wait 30 minutes, and he never shows. You get home and find an email "oh I decided to keep it" or "Another board member offered me $10 more so our deal is off". So yes, if the person will actually follow through on what they said, you might be able to size them up in person. If you can tell by their posts that they aren't truthful, or the story changes frequently, you have a heads up to not waste your time. This is also where the +1/ -1 system becomes important for FTF transactions, so we can learn from others' mistakes.

bman1903

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Actually, some people don't want to meet face to face until they get a sense for whether or not the person is whacky. It's not likely that you'd get held up during the transaction, but some people are paranoid about who they interact with, especially when it comes to guns. It also comes down to whether or not you waste your time. A few individuals have shown themselves to be unreliable and dishonest. For example, you set up a time and place to meet the guy, arrive early, wait 30 minutes, and he never shows. You get home and find an email "oh I decided to keep it" or "Another board member offered me $10 more so our deal is off". So yes, if the person will actually follow through on what they said, you might be able to size them up in person. If you can tell by their posts that they aren't truthful, or the story changes frequently, you have a heads up to not waste your time. This is also where the +1/ -1 system becomes important for FTF transactions, so we can learn from others' mistakes.

I see...good example. I guess i didn't realize it went that deep here.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

shadow shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Anderson
    We have been talking to eachother for awhile now. I met a few members from INGO for the first time last weekend but it didn't seem like I never met them. That's what we are talking about here. After a while you will know what the mods, 4sarge, melensdad, Prometheus, etc. like to post about, what guns they had fall in lakes or rivers, and how much they like bacon.

Keep posting away!

SOMEONE SAY BACON? :rockwoot:

just tryin to keep things in perspective. i am pretty new here as well do alot of reading and a little posting i very much agree with the quote above i havent talked to alot of people on here but feel as though i do kinda know some of ya. the thread post count prob does need to be bumped up a little you could have 10 in about 30 min if ya really want to. there is alot of very good information on here if you take the time to look at it. love the original bacon thread and all the NUGE stuff for fun. give the guy a chance sometimes we dont all have things come out the way we want at first but that doesnt mean we should :bash: for it. :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I see...good example. I guess i didn't realize it went that deep here.

Thanks bman!

The great thing about this site is that Fenway doesn't mess around with creating a huge list of rules. All the rules currently in place were formed as needed and them evolved. He has consistently asked for user input when there is a problem, rather than saying "This is how it is." You can be assured that the rules in place are necessary, otherwise they never would have been created. The creation of a rule has always been in response to specific problems. Not to sound condescending, but as you spend more time on the board you will more easily understand the problems that exist, and the need for some sort of order.

Regards,
    Josh

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    I guess the entire gist of the thing is that the purpose of this forum is to be a place where people get together and talk about guns, and deals get made on the side.

The analogy that leaps readily to mind is the difference between going to a gun club and going to a gun store. At a gun club meeting, you get together to talk about a shared interest, and occasionally a buddy will have something he wants to sell or buy. You certainly don't walk into the club house and expect to see booths set up with dealers. At a gun store, you may have a nice chat with people about the merchandise, but the end result is that the owner is hoping you will buy something.

I believe Fenway, and the mods, are working to keep a "club" environment here, rather than a "store" environment. It's a model that is obviously successful, given the rapidly growing active membership. So join in and have some fun. :-)

Top Bottom