• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The rule is in place due to problems that have occurred, sorry you are caught up in it. At the same time, just wander and chatter a bit and you will be on your way to deals.

OTOH, you have me, who has darn near 900 posts and until last week, never used our classifieds... I guess the new guy and I balance each other out somehow. :):

What was the old line? Arfcom is a good place to be from, preferably as far from as possible.

LMAO! Don't blame me; I came from The AK Forum ;)

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    If I were running the forum he'd already have been banned and all his posts deleted. Imagine what a bitchy whiner he'll be after a hundred posts?

:+1:and you my friend just made my Blocked User List and you share that spot with yourself. I do not have time for people who are only here to scam the system, a very telling autobiography :xmad:

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    its not really hard to get 10, just go to the Intro and say "Welcome" to 10 people.........R Good luck...
    Wrong answer.

That's "cheating the system" and something we try to keep an eye on around here. Granted, we don't catch every one, but we *do* make an effort to pay attention to that. Thanks for fueling the reason I want to make posts in the Intro forum not count toward your post count. :)

Everyone else, thank you for supporting our reason for the post count requirement. Fenway created this board as a community for firearms owners and enthusiasts. He added the Classifieds section as a perk for our contributing members. As moderators, we try to keep that sense of community and family going! :)

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    It may just be me, but I personally don't see a whole lot of quality in the posts condemning bman1903. Sure, he tried to spoof his way around the rules, but I'd rather see a few of his junk posts than this kind of petty hostility expressed for such a minor infraction.

There are a lot of things that draw people to a website. In this case the draw was commercial which I don't think is a bad thing. I can somewhat understand the need for the 10 post rule for access to the private messaging function, but on the other hand I don't think it is serving any good purpose in this instance. It would absolutely have been better for bman1903 to contact administrators for an exception, but some of you guys are being pretty harsh.

Here's a suggestion: If the classifieds are truly not intended to be patronized by non-users or people with fewer than 10 posts, why don't we just hide those forums from users that aren't supposed to use them?

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    It may just be me, but I personally don't see a whole lot of quality in the posts condemning bman1903. Sure, he tried to spoof his way around the rules, but I'd rather see a few of his junk posts than this kind of petty hostility expressed for such a minor infraction.

There are a lot of things that draw people to a website. In this case the draw was commercial which I don't think is a bad thing. I can somewhat understand the need for the 10 post rule for access to the private messaging function, but on the other hand I don't think it is serving any good purpose in this instance. It would absolutely have been better for bman1903 to contact administrators for an exception, but some of you guys are being pretty harsh.

Here's a suggestion: If the classifieds are truly not intended to be patronized by non-users or people with fewer than 10 posts, why don't we just hide those forums from users that aren't supposed to use them?

Why hide them, just follow the rules and exceptions, you are kidding right :rolleyes:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Why hide them, just follow the rules and exceptions, you are kidding right :rolleyes:

Actually, OhioCCW hides their FS forum from non-members to reduce some level of BS. I do not know how well it has worked.

Pami said:
    Wrong answer.

Soooo Busted! :):

Jack Ryan said:
    ...bitchy whiner...

Come on guys, play nice. We are trying to encourage people to be part of the community. Personally, I do not take their "gaming the system" in offense, they just don't know what the mores of this community are yet. I have full faith that once they join into the forum with a presence they will be happy they came for more than just some sales.

We are a friendly bunch, both by nature, and by necessity if we intend to grow.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)

NOOOO!!! Thats how I found this site. And sadly that is why I (AT FIRST) joined this site. However, when I was trying to get 10 QUALITY post I became hooked. Now to me the classifieds are just a side benefit to a kick a$$ forum. However, without the classifieds I would not be here today. I personally think the count should be 50 or 100 post to use the classifieds. This would prevent all the problems except people getting mad because they don't have enough post. Just my :twocents:.

Anyways, welcome and just talk alittle. Give your :twocents: on a couple of forums and you will have 10 post in an hour.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Actually, OhioCCW hides their FS forum from non-members to reduce some level of BS. I do not know how well it has worked.

Come on guys, play nice. We are trying to encourage people to be part of the community. Personally, I do not take their "gaming the system" in offense, they just don't know what the mores of this community are yet. I have full faith that once they join into the forum with a presence they will be happy they came for more than just some sales.

We are a friendly bunch, both by nature, and by necessity if we intend to grow.

I consider myself friendly but play by the rules and have zero respect or consideration for those who try to game the system. America is at a crossroad (actually sliding down the slippery slope) and I lay part of that blame on the PC Gamers who take no personal responsibility and have the me first mentality but do not want or expect to follow the rules.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    its not really hard to get 10, just go to the Intro and say "Welcome" to 10 people.........R Good luck...

Yes please do not do this. And do not tell anyone else to do this. Aside from it not couting as a "quality post", how is a "newbie" going to go around and say "Welcome to INGO!" when they just got here themselves?

Its very annoying to us (mods) to have to clean up after something like that. And its also very annoying to the user, as they think they are OK, but then suddently have 0 post count again, and we have to send them a PM, once again explaining why.

Everyone repeat after me. . .

INGO = Gun Forum
    Classifieds = Extra benefit for contributing members

Really I'm preaching to the choir here.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I personally think the count should be 50 or 100 post to use the classifieds. This would prevent all the problems except people getting mad because they don't have enough post.

So true. Over on Lightfighter, one of their standard user titles (based on post count, like ours) is "Yay, I get to use the Swap Meet!" :):

Setting the cap at 10 posts just makes it frustrating for new folks (so close, but so far away!). Setting a higher cap would force people to stick around awhile, get to know other members, and actually participate in a meaningful way before getting to use the "perk" that is the Classifieds. It would also result in less whining and complaining, and less cleanup for the mods.

My :twocents:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Define "quality post".
    22.gif

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Define "quality post".
    22.gif

Of course its all subjective to the Mod. :D

Personally, I trash any "one-liners" like "I agree" or "cool video!".

I also trash any "Welcome" posts in the Intro forum, becuase anyone with fewer than 10 posts is a newbie themselves.

The main questions I ask myself are "Does this post give a valuable answer to the OP's question/comment?" and "Will others benefit from the information in this post?"

Its really pretty simple.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    One board I'm on does not allow you to see the trade forum until you hit the post count. That is one solution, but not a good one, IMHO. The reason I found INGO was the posts in the classifieds section. Then I stayed for the bacon.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    schwaky18

NOOOO!!! Thats how I found this site. And sadly that is why I (AT FIRST) joined this site. However, when I was trying to get 10 QUALITY post I became hooked. Now to me the classifieds are just a side benefit to a kick a$$ forum. However, without the classifieds I would not be here today. .......

I found this site last year the same way.
    I can't remember if the 10 post rule was in effect at that time however.

Please don't hide the classifieds - I feel it will help draw more members to the site.

esrice

Personally, I trash any "one-liners" like "I agree" or "cool video!".

I agree. :D

Last edited:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    One board I'm on does not allow you to see the trade forum until you hit the post count. That is one solution, but not a good one, IMHO. The reason I found INGO was the posts in the classifieds section. Then I stayed for the bacon.

Mmm, bacon.
    :faint:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I personally think the count should be 50 or 100 post to use the classifieds. This would prevent all the problems except people getting mad because they don't have enough post. Just my :twocents:.
    Setting the cap at 10 posts just makes it frustrating for new folks (so close, but so far away!). Setting a higher cap would force people to stick around awhile, get to know other members, and actually participate in a meaningful way before getting to use the "perk" that is the Classifieds. It would also result in less whining and complaining, and less cleanup for the mods.

My :twocents:
    Absolutely! That would solve a ton of problems for all involved.

Top Bottom