• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    You know, I have to throw a bone in for Brian Setzer too, whether it be with the Stray Cats, or with his "orchestra". Pretty good stuff, and he can burn the fretboard up too.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys (Invented a musical genre')

Hank Williams and his Drifting Cowboys. (Died at age 29 with 11 #1 hits)

Johnny Cash and the Tennesee Two (One of the most influential musicians of the 20th century)

I know, my "bands" are fronted by legends, but these would be my top 3. I'd even go so far to say that Bill Monroe would not have had the early commercial success that he had without Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs. The band invented Bluegrass and Scruggs invented a 3 finger roll technique on banjo.

Hank couldn't read or write music and played an acoustic guitar, so so... His gift was songwriting.

Johnny Cash would never have left the Sun records studio with Sam Phillips had it not been for the "boom chicka boom" sound that Luther Perkins invented. This sound gave Cash his "train" sound.

I also have a lot of respect for these bands because they were pre-MTV, pre-Internet, Pre-Stadium rock. They won their fame the old fashioned way in honky tonks, one fan at a time, one radio station at a time.

When music was about the song and not the look.

:)

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    My All-Time 3 Greatest:

1. Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band *Listen to Clarence Clemons' sax playing on the "Born To Run" album...simply stunning.

2. The Rolling Stones *Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street are about as good as it gets.

3. The Grateful Dead *American Beauty and Workingmans Dead cover a litany of American musical styles from Jazz to Rock, to Folk and Country.

My Three Current Faves:

1. Drive By Truckers *the albums "Southern Rock Opera" and "Brighter than Creations Dark" are already classics

2. James McMurtry and The Heartless Bastards *Literate, hearfelt populist rock with a country tinge

3. The Robert Earl Keen Band * "The Road Goes On Forever" is an all-time classic.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have partied with that dude. He is from Bloomington.

Tell him I thought he was a trash can when he hit, and it was the people below that were hurt. It was not till the next day I heard about someone falling.

I can also se how it happened as I have worked the sound system at the dome for many years, weird setup if you don't know the arena and it was dark and you were rushing to get to the stage.

Ask him if he thought he could get to the stage from the upper deck. I alway wanted to know. He landed a few rows in front of me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys (Invented a musical genre')

Hank Williams and his Drifting Cowboys. (Died at age 29 with 11 #1 hits)

Johnny Cash and the Tennesee Two (One of the most influential musicians of the 20th century)

I know, my "bands" are fronted by legends, but these would be my top 3. I'd even go so far to say that Bill Monroe would not have had the early commercial success that he had without Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs. The band invented Bluegrass and Scruggs invented a 3 finger roll technique on banjo.

Hank couldn't read or write music and played an acoustic guitar, so so... His gift was songwriting.

Johnny Cash would never have left the Sun records studio with Sam Phillips had it not been for the "boom chicka boom" sound that Luther Perkins invented. This sound gave Cash his "train" sound.

I also have a lot of respect for these bands because they were pre-MTV, pre-Internet, Pre-Stadium rock. They won their fame the old fashioned way in honky tonks, one fan at a time, one radio station at a time.

When music was about the song and not the look.

:)

Well we almost have to throw in Ralph Stanley and his CLinch Mountain boys :D

Top Bottom