Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    from BATF via Tony Rogers
    TonyRogers.com | The Top 10 Guns Used In Crime - BATF Statistics
    pistols_2000.jpg

Weapon Tony's Snide Remarks 1. Smith and Wesson .38 revolver Nice weapon, but most of the ones used were probably cheap small-frame cheapos bought at a pawn shop.

2. Ruger 9 mm semiautomatic
    The least expensive pro/sumer-grade 9mm on the market.

3. Lorcin Engineering .380 semiautomatic An absolute piece of crap that sells for less than $120 retail. No real shooter would even warrant this "gun" as a legitimate target to even shoot at.

4. Raven Arms .25 semiautomatic
    Another piece of **** that sells for less than $110 retail, and is worth less than the pipsqueak ammunition you can try to feed it.

5. Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun
    The cheapest 12-guage on the market, designed for people who cannot afford a real shotgun. Not even close to being considered a "fighting" shotgun. No offense to Mossberg, but there is a reason that these Wal-Mart grade firepoles are given away at Ducks Unlimited as door prizes. Most do (and should) end up being traded up at gun shops for real shotguns.

6. Smith and Wesson 9mm semiautomatic A surprise, because these are generally fairly spendy pistols, in the $400 to $700 range. Nice weapons, overall.

7. Smith and Wesson .357 revolver
    A tried and trued classic. I would never dare disparage this weapon. They must represent the true professionals of crime in this context.

8. Bryco Arms 9mm semiautomatic Worse than a brass knuckle used by a no-armed retarded man, these ill-fitted pieces of crap were stretching the truth when they were marketed as actual "firearms".

9. Bryco Arms .380 semiautomatic Even worse than a brass knuckle on a no-armed retarded man, these ill-fitted pieces of crap were stretching the truth when they were marketed as "firearms". Especially insipid as a "weapon" in a small caliber.

10. Davis Industries .380 semiautomatic This one takes the cake as the "most prone to never fire, ever" firearm that was ever produced. Apparently they had a street price of $60 in Miami at one point, which would have been better spent on a wristrocket or a billyclub if you planned to actually use one in a legitimate crime. They eventually had to fight lawsuits from prosecutors and criminals at the same time because of their inherent defectiveness.

Note that there are no Glock, Sig, HK, Springfield, Colt or high-end Smith & Wesson firearms on this list. Some of the above mentioned "guns" were in fact made on Chinese-manufactured WW2-era casting machines out of warehouses in Miami and Los Angeles so they could be sold on the street for the price of 5 rocks of crack cocaine. The worst offenders, Davis, Lorcin and Raven Arms, have all been sued into bankruptcy as far as I know. As well they should be. A note by Tony: I own a Smith and Wesson 629 Classic .44 Magnum Revolver with Hogue Grips, and it is quite a fantastic firearm. It also cost $595 in 1995, so probably is not the weapon of choice for dick****s who will rob a store for $30 in loose cash.
    The list is derived from the center's investigations of 88,570 guns recovered from crime scenes in 46 cities in 2000, is being analyzed for ATF's youth gun crime interdiction initiative, which helps local police forces understand and counter gun trafficking to youth in their jurisdictions.
    One measure by which ATF gauges a gun's appeal as an offensive (rather than a defensive or sporting) weapon is its "time-to-crime" factor — how long after its sale it is used in a crime. Revolvers, not generally used as an offensive weapon, had a median time-to-crime of 12.3 years, according to the 2000 figures. At the other extreme, Bryco Arms 9mm semiautomatics recovered from kids younger than 18 had a median time-to-crime of 1.5 years, and those recovered from suspects aged 18 to 24 had a median time-to-crime of 1.1 years. The Hi Point 9mm is another downscale semiautomatic frequently seized from suspects in the 18-to-24 age range; it has a time-to-crime span of just one year. Speaking of Hi-Point, they are producing things called firearms but are in fact nothing less than ill-designed clubs with handles.
    Though most teenage gangbangers wouldn't be caught dead with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, an old fashioned six shooter, it nonetheless claims the lead on the top ten list. That's because there are literally millions in existence; Smith and Wesson introduced the .38 in 1899, and since then, models have proliferated, transforming the name "Smith and Wesson .38" into a generic label for a particular style of gun, even clones that aren't made by Smith and Wesson. Similarly, the Smith and Wesson .357 revolver, which was introduced in 1935, and the venerable Mossberg shotgun made the list based on the sheer volume in circulation.
    But street criminals are interested almost exclusively in semiautomatics, preferring their superior firepower. (Semiautomatics hold at least seven and often as many as ten or twelve rounds of ammunition. --Or 18 if you can spend the extra dinero made from a 7-11 heist on a Beretta)
    Gun traffickers like to peddle cheap semiautomatics to teenagers because they can tack on a hefty mark-up (of ten bucks) and still offer a weapon that costs less than an upscale gun like a Ruger or Smith and Wesson semiautomatic. That's why inexpensive semiautomatics dominate the top ten list. As it happens, many of the companies on that list have links to George Jennings, founder of the now-defunct Raven Arms and his clan. Jennings' son Bruce founded Bryco in 1992. According to the ATF, Jennings' son-in-law Jim Davis founded Davis Industries, and Lorcin Engineering was launched by Jim Waldorf, Bruce Jennings' high school friend. These companies and several others also linked to Jennings are known in the trade as the "ring of fire."
    While Bryco has recently slowed its production and has stopped making several models, according to ATF and other industry sources, gun dealers still have plenty of its firearms in inventory. That's why Bryco holds down two spots on the tracing center's "Top Ten Crime Guns" list for 2000.
    Experts at the ATF's National Firearms Tracing Center in Falling Water, W.Va., believe that the demand for Bryco wares is driven by teenagers and young adults who like the guns' menacing looks, ample 10-round magazines and rock-bottom prices. Bryco semiautomatics, which can be had in matte black or shiny nickel finish, retail for less than $100 new, and for as little as $55 used. By contrast, Ruger 9mm's are more reliable, higher quality weapons. They're favored by law enforcement officers, well-heeled target shooters and collectors — and adult crooks as well — and cost about $500 new.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

Do you have any thoughts on the issue? :n00b:

The worst offenders, Davis, Lorcin and Raven Arms, have all been sued into bankruptcy as far as I know. As well they should be.

Whole pile of garbage right there. Somehow it is the gun makers fault they are used in crimes. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Just like McDonalds made ME fat. Not the other way around. I should sue them while I am at it..........

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Not especially. Just thought it to be an interesting read for myself and others on here. Although his "snide remarks," whether you agree with them or not, certainly are colorful eh?

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Mossberg a crappy shotgun???

I only want to point out that I have my first shotgun I ever bought new in 1976. Guess what? My Mossberg has killed literaly dozens of deer and a mountain of rabbits and never has let me down. I paid $99 for it at Service Merchandise in Terre Haute.

Last edited:

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Mossberg a crappy shotgun???

I only want to point out that I have my first shotgun I ever bought new in 1976. Guess what? My Mossberg has killed literaly dozens of deer and a mountain of rabbits and never has let me down. I paid $99 for it at Service Merchandise in Terre Haute.

+1 on this, my crappy Mossburg 20 gauge has served me well for over 30 years.
    Maybe I just don't know better but neither does all the critters it has taken all those years.:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Whan I saw the thread title, I thought for sure the list would be all
    Hi-points. I can't believe that theres not even one on the list.
    On a side note, has anyone heard of a brand called jimenez arms.
    saw some at the valpo gun show, held one and it felt like crap.
    They were priced at around 150 depending on caliber.

lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Snide remarks aside, every single firearm listed will kill you just as dead as the most well respected Glock/H&K/Sig/1911. The author would do well to show a little more respect to the abilities of the criminals and their weaponry. The criminals have a huge advantage that no amount of top dollar hardware can negate. They have brought a gun to a gunfight, and are willing to use it if necessary (and oftentimes, even if it's not necessary).

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Keep in mind that this study was based on the year 2000 statistics. I suspect that a current (within 2 years) study would reveal a totally different results set.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I do not know the author of the post,but out here in the country we respect Mossberg as a quality firearm,and the location of the safety on a 500 makes more sense than the other designs.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Two things get you on this list:

1) Guns that have been in production for a jillion years, selling a bajillion copies. This applies to the S&Ws and the Mossberg. Lots of them out there knocking around, eventually they wind up in criminal hands.

2) Guns that are really cheap, and get into criminal hands by the more direct route.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I am not offended by his insult to Mossberg shotguns. I must have gotten one of the exceptions as mine has fired hundreds of shells without a misfire or jam. I plan on keeping it for as long as it continues to function properly. Where are the Hi Points to repeat a previous submitter? I recently read that people trying to get Hi Points have by far the largest sales refusal rate of any other firearms brand. Maybe they are not listed in the top 10 because those that want to commit crimes with them are not allowed to buy them.

Top Bottom