• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I went to Atterbury Thursday with my wife and daughter. I primarily went to let them shoot the .22 and my wife wanted to shoot the AR. Now, she hasn't shot much and was a little intimidated by the "black one" but after she ran 4 mags of ammo through it she looked ove with a big grin and says When are you getting me one? So, the little girl gets up there to shoot and the .22 stock is a tad long for her but she managed to put two of the first five shots in the bulls eye at 50 yds. Third time she has ever shot. Now she has been after me since October to get her a pink 10/22.
    Finally I got to shoot the Mosin. I didn't take much ammo with me since I wasn't planning to shoot much....That won't happen again. Man that thing scared the crap out of the little girl on the first shot. She kept talking about how big the fireball was. Now I just want to go back on a day off when I can shoot for a while. I only got to put 40 rnd through the Mosin and 10 rounds through the AR since that's all the wife left me with.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I was at an indoor range with my brother and we saw a guy with a Mosin Nagant M44. We spent some time talking to him as my brother has one. We went back to shooting and the guy put his AR down to shoot the M44, even with ears on that thing was loud. Made me rethink taking my Steyr M95 carbine to an indoor range.

You have the 91/30? I've been looking at some at a few shops that have them locally but they want too much. Can't wait til my C&R form comes in even though my bank account will hate me.

usaguy2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I love my mosin.. best 100 dollar gun i could find thats for sure.. very fun to shoot..

Question, Whats the difference between an m44 and a 91/30.. also what other variants of the nagant are there and what are their differences? If some could answer this for me i would be greatful, thanks.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The M44 and M38 are the carbine versions of the Mosin. The M44 has an attached bayonet where as the M38 does not. There are a bunch of different versions of the basic 91/30 and 7.62x54r.net is a great place to get info on them. The carbines tend to put out a huge fireball. If you ever get the chance to shoot an M44 or M38 at dusk, it's like a basketball sized flashbulb going off.

browncat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Mosin in the dark

i have a 1943 mosin-nagant, We usually shoot at the indoors range because the outdoors range is far from where we live, so we use the iron sights a lot, now everyone who owns a Mosin knows the iron hardware is dark and almost invisible in low light so i put glow-on on the sights, which is a phosphorescent pigment for handgun sights too::rockwoot:
    mosin-sightsigh3t.jpg

here the front sights
    mosin-sightsight2.jpg

And here the combo in the dark
    sight.jpg

:D
    i have the straight bolt which i'd like to have turned into a folded handle to make room to a scope, does anyone know where to send it?
    and I found a cheaper version of the scope, because the original or re manufactured type are too expensive 5x the price of the rifle but check this one I found
    file_107_58.jpg

Is still expensive $138.00 plus shipping and handling but is closer to my budget, if anyone gets it before I do please let me know about the performance:draw:

browncat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Attention grabber

I was at an indoor range with my brother and we saw a guy with a Mosin Nagant M44. We spent some time talking to him as my brother has one. We went back to shooting and the guy put his AR down to shoot the M44, even with ears on that thing was loud. Made me rethink taking my Steyr M95 carbine to an indoor range.

You have the 91/30? I've been looking at some at a few shops that have them locally but they want too much. Can't wait til my C&R form comes in even though my bank account will hate me.

When the first boom comes out of that 91/30, goody, goody, you get everyone's attention, the blast will literally blow away the paper targets of people shooting at less than 10 yards if they are not properly attached :n00b:

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    I love my Mosin. Got it at a pawn shop for $80 and it is always a favorite of both of ours. Good ammo for it isnt cheap though, and I worry about the surplus stuff.

If you don't own a Mosin just watch the movie "Enemy at the Gates" for purchase motivation.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have been thinking about getting a monte carlo style stock and a decent scope to build into a more modernized Mosin. Have always wanted to go west and hunt some big game. I think it would be perfect for that, especially with the Winchester 180grain soft point ammo. I just cant decide if a 91/30 barrel would be too long or not.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    IIRC A lot of the commercial ammo available in 7.62x54r is a .308 diameter bullet, when it needs to be a .311 caliber...

@singlesix - Surplus 7.62x54r is almost without exception corrosively primed, not a big deal, but you have to clean the rifle regardless of how many rounds you fire.

usaguy2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A question.. so with my round count on my mosin being 4 now lol i have discovered something.. My bolt is harder than hell to pull open.. wasnt like this till i fired two round yesterday out back.. is this a common thing? if so why and what is the cause.. ?? help! lol

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    A question.. so with my round count on my mosin being 4 now lol i have discovered something.. My bolt is harder than hell to pull open.. wasnt like this till i fired two round yesterday out back.. is this a common thing? if so why and what is the cause.. ?? help! lol
    youve got cosmoline in the chamber. i used mineral spirits and a wire brush to clean mine. just wait until it glues a case in the chamber!

Top Bottom