• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccrise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Ok Heres the question: At what age should a person not carry if any? I have seen people that are so slow and have a lot of problem moving that its scary to think they might be carrying. I know I'm not 18 any more (52) and realize it takes me a little longer to get my weapon out of its holster then it use to. So should I be thinking about getting married to a 20 year old so she can protect me when I cant get my pistol out of its holster (Maybe the wrong words to use)? Haha

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've found that as I age, and slow a bit physically, I employ situational awareness sooner, and more intensely, and I profile much more. I wouldn't begin to suggest a specific age, rather the ability of an individual to be first (and always) SAFE, and then reasonably proficient with his/her handgun.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I don't think you can put a specific age or even a range on when not to carry. The older we get the more likely we will need it. Bottom line is 15 years ago I could put a whoppin on most now I would be lucky to last 2 minutes in a physical brawl with someone younger. I agree with Jay as long as they can be safe and proicient, carry.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Unfortunately those people who are deemed less able to defend themselves are often victims of crime. Yes, older Americans should carry.

And to the OP. Don't marry a 20 year old protect you. Although I bet she could get your gun out. :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's a good question.
    It's scary to see some old people who carry.
    Not only they cant draw fast but also they are not able to defend their weapon if someone try to grab it.
    That can be very dangerous if that weapon is used against them.
    At the same time I guess it's when you are getting old and are not able to fight in hand to hand combat anymore, against a stronger and younger attacker, that you need a gun to protect yourself.
    Also, what you lose in speed and strenght with time, maybe you become more wise to compensate.
    Like you wont put yourself in dangerous situation because you know your limitations as opposed to a 18 years old who's fit, fast and strong, and think that he can take anyone just because he has a gun.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    If you are mentally fit and physically sound enough to handle a gun safely then carry one.
    I'm 65 and just started carrying again a year of so ago.
    For me the reasoning was the reverse of yours I figure I have a better chance of defending myself with a weapon than without.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I thing it would be better to be slow in drawing a gun than be fast in raising your hands and giving up (let's leave that to the french). Older people are more likely to be attacked so I would say as long as they can see the target, have a fairly steady hand and pull the trigger, then by all means carry. Age is not a factor. Heck, I know people in their twenty's that can't do the above.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you're not senile or crazy, carry.

In fact, you should carry a gun in every pocket so you don't have to try to remember where your gun is!
    Don't stop carrying until you draw and can't remember who you wanted to shoot.
    I really feel strongly that... um....what?:dunno:

:D:D

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    As long as you are mentally all there, carry.

I don't recall any age clause in the 2nd amendment.
    Then again, I may be too old to remember.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    My grandfather is 75 years old, and still carries anytime he leaves the house. Even if its to put the dog on the chain in the back yard. He can still put holes in paper in 2/2.5" groups at about 40 yards, so I don't really worry about him.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    How many times do we read about "grandma" or "grandpa" pulling a handgun and preventing an attack by someone who will probably never get to that age?

When you look in the mirror and have no idea who that person is, you really need to carry a cop and not a pistol :D :D :D :D :D

When my now dear departed father was 85, my daughter and I took him to a friend's shooting range to allow him to fire a weapon in fun for the first time in 60 years. He had a great time, and even at that age, and not ever having fired an AK-74 or AR-15 or Ruger 10/22 before showed that he still had it and proved why he was awarded an infantry marksmanship medal way back when he had human targets to fire on.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    If you are mentally fit and physically sound enough to handle a gun safely then carry one.
    I'm 65 and just started carrying again a year of so ago.
    For me the reasoning was the reverse of yours I figure I have a better chance of defending myself with a weapon than without.

I agree 100%. As long as you physically and mentally fit enough to carry. At some time a friend or family might have to step in and question his ability. But I sure don't know of any age restrictions.

The BMV takes requests from families pretty seriously about drivers license. My mom gave up her driver's license because of her eyesight..

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I don't recall any age clause in the 2nd amendment.

Exactly. The older or weaker a person is, the MORE they need a firearm.

That said, I definitely do think some voluntary discretion should made when it comes to how they carry. i.e. is it wise for some one who is 90 years old to open carry? Then again some freaks think it's not wise for someone who looks like Dwayne Johnson to open carry either.

Usually good judgement comes with age... if not? Well, that's not a decision I or anyone else should force upon someone.

Liberty. Liberty also means you live with the consequences of your actions.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    As long as you aren't trying to play hero and out draw some crook, I don't see the issue. Older people are that much more vulnerable, why give up personal protection?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    In the recent IDPA shoot (my first) there were some guys in my group certainly in the 55-70 y/o range. They weren't the quickest and they didn't run much, but I learned that day that there's some older folks around that can put two in your chest like it's nobody's business.

Can't put an age on it. I think it's up to the individual and their very close loved ones to know when their mental and physical state no longer makes it prudent and safe.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    My dad is in his 80's, still of sound mind and body and carries. He taught me how to change a tire before he let me drive, how to change the oil before I owned a car, and how to shoot before I owned a gun. He also taught me about the three warning shots. ;)

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    My father was a crack shot well up into his 80s. Much better than me, rifle or pistol.

He's gone now, but when he was no longer capable of managing a firearm, he was the first to acknowledge it.

Top Bottom