• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Players responsibility to keep the game close at the end, coaches responsibility to win the close game. Tom has failed 3 close game challenges. Ugh.
    I don't understand fans who start beating the drum for a new coach after a couple of losses. Yeah, coaches make mistakes. Those who make the fewest mistakes and have recruited top players usually bring their teams to the top and stay there. At the end of a close game it is all about free throws, isn't it?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    True he probably did do a lot of recruiting for Knight, but the players were coming to play for Knight not Davis. Davis was an awful coach, I don't know his exact record but was let go from UAB after 3 or 4 seasons as well.

As a head coach MD was terrible. As an recruiting assistant he was very good. Several players came to Indiana because of Davis.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    So as an asst., he was able to get quality players but not as a coach? Or with a team that had been coached by Knight, he reached the final game. With teams coached by Davis, they managed season's such as 14-15 & 15-14?

I am sure he was a nice guy but seemingly could not win with his players/system. Crean is winning big with his players/system...

I think Vaden, AJ, DJ and even AH and others came to play for Knight because of their relationship with Davis. I believe with out Davis, Knight would have had just anothe usual Knight team, certanly not a finals team.

With out Henderson Davis's teams did suffer.

Creans lienage , basketball and recruit knowledge is far beyond what MD could ever have dreamed of.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    This thread makes me laugh. Everyone always talks about how their team should never lose, ever. They talk about how in some magical way, that a certain particular team has all the best talent there is to be had, that all the other players across all the others teams can in no way match their team. :laugh:

As a non-die hard sports fan, I always look at it that there will always be about ten or so really good teams in almost every sport, at both the college and professional levels. It's really funny to read people blast a coach whose team has a really good winning record, and is constantly voted upon as one of the top teams out of dozens.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    At Marquette, Crean always had 20+ win seasons. With the number of kids with increased talent now willing to go to IU (as opposed to Marquette), I am thinking the sky is the limit for the foreseeable future...

capn willie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    One conference championship in 14 seasons.

Heck, I could have done that with Dwayne Wade.

Career record and prospects summed up thusly:

9k=

Top Bottom