• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    To those defending the individual stating he did nothing "illegal" and that he has a "right" to freedom of speech, please allow me to toss this in to play devils advocate.

A typical definition of disorderly conduct defines the offense in these ways:
    A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally: Refusing to comply with a lawful order of the police to move from a public place, or knowingly create a hazardous or physically offensive condition which serves no legitimate purpose(2) Engage in fighting or in violent or threatening behavior,(3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;(4)Make unreasonable noises in public,

Seems to me that possibly this individual may have been guilty of Disorderly conduct, or possibly disturbing the peace. This, I believe, would warrant his cooperation or immediate removal.:twocents:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    To those defending the individual stating he did nothing "illegal" and that he has a "right" to freedom of speech, please allow me to toss this in to play devils advocate.

A typical definition of disorderly conduct defines the offense in these ways:
    A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally: Refusing to comply with a lawful order of the police to move from a public place, or knowingly create a hazardous or physically offensive condition which serves no legitimate purpose(2) Engage in fighting or in violent or threatening behavior,(3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;(4)Make unreasonable noises in public,

Seems to me that possibly this individual may have been guilty of Disorderly conduct, or possibly disturbing the peace. This, I believe, would warrant his cooperation or immediate removal.:twocents:
    not to mention disturbing the peace

edit: didnt see that last part whoops

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not defending, but if someone came up to me telling me to stop swearing, I'd probably tell them to mind their own ****ing business in spite. ;)

So, you're saying, you're not defending it, but you would in fact practice it?:dunno:

I don't think swearing loudly at those around you or cursing at the top of your lungs into a cell phone and generally making an ass of yourself in public should be a crime. It should be encouraged. It lets the rest of us know who you are.

That way the general public, who bite their tongues and shake their heads in the face of your little tantrum, you know, people who know how to behave in a civil society, are the same people who may one day be in a position to offer you a job or buy a product/service that you sell. When you see that cartoon light bulb above their head turn on and catch that glimmer of recognition in their eyes and they politely leave or show you the door, just remember, Karma is a b!tch.:twocents:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not too fond of a society that is so wrapped up in asserting personal rights that they have no sense of basic politeness. From time to time, salty language escapes my lips, but I would feel a bit embarrassed if I swore much in front of children, especially if a parent asked me to refrain. After all, that's language that the kids should learn from their Dad, Grandpa or a trusted uncle.

Even getting into a discussion about freedom of speech in this context seems odd. We have freedom to do a lot of things, but that doesn't mean it is necessary or polite to force others to watch us exercise these rights. Every once in a while, it would be nice to put a right in their back pocket for the sake of civility.

Passing a law to limit the use of course language? I'll fight that one with you. I agree that the government should not do that. Simply not swearing for the sake of being a decent human being does not threaten my freedom of speech any more than not firing in the air on New Years jeopardizes my right to keep and bear arms.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm not too fond of a society that is so wrapped up in asserting personal rights that they have no sense of basic politeness. From time to time, salty language escapes my lips, but I would feel a bit embarrassed if I swore much in front of children, especially if a parent asked me to refrain. After all, that's language that the kids should learn from their Dad, Grandpa or a trusted uncle.

Even getting into a discussion about freedom of speech in this context seems odd. We have freedom to do a lot of things, but that doesn't mean it is necessary or polite to force others to watch us exercise these rights. Every once in a while, it would be nice to put a right in their back pocket for the sake of civility.

Passing a law to limit the use of course language? I'll fight that one with you. I agree that the government should not do that. Simply not swearing for the sake of being a decent human being does not threaten my freedom of speech any more than not firing in the air on New Years jeopardizes my right to keep and bear arms.

:yesway:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    So, you're saying, you're not defending it, but you would in fact practice it?:dunno:

I don't think swearing loudly at those around you or cursing at the top of your lungs into a cell phone and generally making an ass of yourself in public should be a crime. It should be encouraged. It lets the rest of us know who you are.

That way the general public, who bite their tongues and shake their heads in the face of your little tantrum, you know, people who know how to behave in a civil society, are the same people who may one day be in a position to offer you a job or buy a product/service that you sell. When you see that cartoon light bulb above their head turn on and catch that glimmer of recognition in their eyes and they politely leave or show you the door, just remember, Karma is a b!tch.:twocents:

Or that I could refuse to care for someone who ever so politely asked me to please be quiet. It's a two way street right?

Why does your child's need to never hear swearing trump my right to express my utter disdain at something? We've flipped off a lady in the parking lot at the hospital for almost hitting us as we were walking in, come to find out she was our nurse. Karma must be some kind of a ***** huh?

Since you believe in Karma, how about you keep your nose out of others' business; and they'll stay out of yours. :)

I was playing devils advocate at first, but now I feel if I drop an F bomb or something else deemed profane, I may not get another job; or proper care or something. Funny thing though, it's been quite the opposite in my experience.

Swearing may make you think that I'm an idiot, but my vocabulary is at least 10 words more vast than the "non-swearing' folk

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Ok, but do you have a right to be FREE from certain emotions like fear or anger? That is what many people are saying, that they have a RIGHT to be happy, or a FREEDOM from being annoyed by an asshat.

IMO: I don't like to tell people what to do or how to act, if I have an issue with a person's behaviour I remove myself from the vicinity. I personally don't think becoming a one man chivalry teacher will go very far in today's world and there are too many clowns out there just trying to stir up trouble that would see that as a challenge or a threat. My goal is to avoid conflicts, not instigate them. I also do believe that words can do little to harm another person so I don't see how a profain individual is enough of a threat to me or my family to warrant a confrontation on my part.

If the park is private property and they want him gone, it's their business, not mine. -That is just my opinion on it I could care less who wants to tattle on someone breaking a rule, just not my thing.

There is no right to not be offended. There is a right to pursue happiness, but not a right to have happiness.

You're married, right? :D

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Does anyone else find the defense of douchebaggery over civility as amusing as I do?:rolleyes:

I find it amusing that people think their rights cancel out someone else's rights.

Sooo, Your saying that just because I can open carry I shouldn't because I might force others to see it?

As I see it, you do as I say on my property, I'll do as you say on yours.
    Out in public it's up to my moral compass to do what I think is right. Not some Mambee Pambee Who %&#@ coal because they're wound to tight

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When did I mention open carry? As far as I'm concerned, legally carrying a gun is not impolite (although "activists" do their best to convince me otherwise). Swearing in front of kids is impolite and that is what i was referring to. I'm sure there are other examples (loudly belching while standing in a crowded area, comes to mind), but I was not referring to open carry.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    When did I mention open carry? As far as I'm concerned, legally carrying a gun is not impolite (although "activists" do their best to convince me otherwise). Swearing in front of kids is impolite and that is what i was referring to. I'm sure there are other examples (loudly belching while standing in a crowded area, comes to mind), but I was not referring to open carry.

But many people think OC is just as rude as cussing or belching is the point.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I find it amusing that people think their rights cancel out someone else's rights.

Really, I don't want to deny anyone their constitutional right to be an a-hole. It's a matter of common courtesy. This seems to be lost on many these days. Guess I'm just getting old.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I find it amusing that people think their rights cancel out someone else's rights.....

Really, I don't want to deny anyone their constitutional right to be an a-hole. It's a matter of common courtesy. This seems to be lost on many these days. Guess I'm just getting old.

I don't want to deny anyone's rights to be an A-hole either, but when it crosses a line to unnecessarily and/or unreasonably infringe upon my rights, I expect the same common courtesy when I ask a person to tone it down.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Our society used to have shame.....you can't have laws for everything, you have laws for the big things like murder, rape, robbery....the rest was taken care of by a little thing called "dignity".- Adam Carolla

RIP "Dignity", died 2012. I pity that my generation never got to know you better.

Top Bottom