• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    My post was suited for this thread, and the absolute extent of my regurgitated knowledge base. I would really like you to give me an example of what your saying, to aid me keeping my foot out of my mouth in the future.

I wasn't being harsh with you, merely stating a fact. Your foot is fine where it is.

A good example would be of contractual rights in relation to property rights. To expound a bit, a landlord just can't decide to come into your residence at 3am without a legitimate, compelling reason.

Another, would be the use of private property for public access. Property rights also end at protected classes, whereas one couldn't just exclude someone based upon race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, etc.

Last edited:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    But you do not have the right to not be offended by someone unless it is your property

Anyone has a right to be offended, anytime and anywhere. Though being offended, doesn't translate to a right to be in a position to do anything about it.....other than leave yourself.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    how does this guy swearing affect any of that? Besides preventing someone from sheltering a child?

Sheltering a child from certain things is actually required by law.

Depending upon the content and tone of the language, it may be reason enough to leave the premises for a child's own protection.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    "NOT" a good reason to blast a person just because they have a potty mouth. IMO,

Right, because vigilantism is what we need! You'd have a hard time prooving self defense to a jury when you approached this man with no good reason.

He was swearing? OH NO! Leave the area if it offends you. I realize that isn't an ideal solution, but its a hell of a lot better than potentially being forced to shoot someone.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I;m not sure where invasion of private property; squatters rights; or land lord tenet relationships fit between the lines of the constitution. But I don't see how its relevant either way with the examples given, its not like eminent domain. However if the owner of the private property that you leased said you couldn't practice your religion on property or own firearms, now we have a discussion.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When my first-born arrived, I made the decision to clean up my language. My father always told me that cursing was only for those who had an inadequate vocabulary and couldn't express themselves adequately. I've had coworkers act puzzled by my lack of bad language, but I've never regretted dropping it from my vocabulary. I learned a long time ago that I can't change others; I can only change me.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    I would be happy if there were more people like you sir. ^^^

It is interesting what people have taken from a story about a guy being a dick and making my family and others uncomfortable. He could have acted like a civilized human being when asked politely to stop, but he didn't.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    When my first-born arrived, I made the decision to clean up my language. My father always told me that cursing was only for those who had an inadequate vocabulary and couldn't express themselves adequately. I've had coworkers act puzzled by my lack of bad language, but I've never regretted dropping it from my vocabulary. I learned a long time ago that I can't change others; I can only change me.

i find it interesting that some actually studies have shown that swearing actually helps the body deal with pain, as well builds stronger co-worker relationship/morale. So **** *** **** in the ***** while ****** your *****.

:patriot::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I;m not sure where invasion of private property; squatters rights; or land lord tenet relationships fit between the lines of the constitution. But I don't see how its relevant either way with the examples given, its not like eminent domain. However if the owner of the private property that you leased said you couldn't practice your religion on property or own firearms, now we have a discussion.

How about your landlord coming into your bedroom at 3am, or the bathroom while your wife is in the shower?

He owns the place, right? So he has rights, and you have none?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Wow. Where to begin...

First of all many of you need to figure out what a "right" really is in this country because we are throwing that word around so much much it has lost its meaning. You do not have a "right" to feel any certain way, you have an ability to. It is a chemical reaction in your brain interpreted by environment and experiance.

Second, there ARE proper times and improper times to do the same thing. Chivalry and politiness are disappearing in this country and the worst is when it is under the guise of "freedom." Likewise the threatening of physical assault because a man used "bad words" in the presence of children is laughable.

Was the guy an asshat? Of course. Just ignore him, if you get worked up over every asshat in this world you are going to be one miserable SOB.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    How about your landlord coming into your bedroom at 3am, or the bathroom while your wife is in the shower?

Or peeking in your windows and trying to enter without legally required notice since there was no "emergency" requiring entry ;)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

This isn't a constitutional "rights" issue, this is a completely different... its called Rights of Access.

(not directed at the quoted OP)
    Good all round advice....Please don't quote the US Constitution if you haven't bothered to actually read it.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I think some of you need to learn a little more about freedom of speech. It doesnt give you the right to say what ever you want. If you think so just go shout fire in a crowded movie theater and see how well your freedom of speech case works out for you.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I wasn't being harsh with you, merely stating a fact. Your foot is fine where it is.

A good example would be of contractual rights in relation to property rights. To expound a bit, a landlord just can't decide to come into your residence at 3am without a legitimate, compelling reason.

Another, would be the use of private property for public access. Property rights also end at protected classes, whereas one couldn't just exclude someone based upon race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, etc.

They don't "end" there. They're just forcefully curtailed by the government with the threat of force for non-compliance.

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    I would be happy if there were more people like you sir. ^^^

It is interesting what people have taken from a story about a guy being a dick and making my family and others uncomfortable. He could have acted like a civilized human being when asked politely to stop, but he didn't.

Also, it was the property owner (zoo employees) that asked him to quiet down or leave. Don't they have the right to ask a disruptive person to leave if it will cause damage to their business, ie. many people choosing to leave the zoo and stop buying the over priced food and souvenirs because of the behavior of the man "exercising free speech"?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Also, it was the property owner (zoo employees) that asked him to quiet down or leave. Don't they have the right to ask a disruptive person to leave if it will cause damage to their business, ie. many people choosing to leave the zoo and stop buying the over priced food and souvenirs because of the behavior of the man "exercising free speech"?

As has been discussed many times, that particular zoo is private property and they can deny him service for just about anthing short of violating his civil rights (race/religion/disability).

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    This isn't a constitutional "rights" issue, this is a completely different... its called Rights of Access.......

The tenant has a right to privacy, via his contractual rights.

While such isn't specifically articulated in COTUS, it is specifically articulated in Roe v. Wade, 410, U.S. 113 (1973), in which the court's opinion found such within personal liberty and restrictions of 14A.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Wow. Where to begin...

I feel this way a lot on INGO. :laugh:

First of all many of you need to figure out what a "right" really is in this country because we are throwing that word around so much much it has lost its meaning.

Agreed. Rights are granted by God (or Nature if you will).

You do not have a "right" to feel any certain way, you have an ability to. It is a chemical reaction in your brain interpreted by environment and experiance.

Freedom of thought is guaranteed by COTUS, that includes the ability to feel emotion. If a person doesn't have a right to feel any certain way, then the government may begin to dictate how a person will feel.

Second, there ARE proper times and improper times to do the same thing. Chivalry and politiness are disappearing in this country and the worst is when it is under the guise of "freedom." Likewise the threatening of physical assault because a man used "bad words" in the presence of children is laughable.

Agreed. There used to be a social standard in which a man would be ashamed of himself for doing such, and largely has disappeared from society today. I'm afraid that matters will only become worse as time goes by.

Was the guy an asshat? Of course. Just ignore him, if you get worked up over every asshat in this world you are going to be one miserable SOB.

I would argue that ignoring the man was the problem to begin. Taking steps to lawfully have him ejected from that forum would be the proper action. Perhaps the asshats of the world would think twice, if they faced consequences everytime for doing such.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Freedom of thought is guaranteed by COTUS, that includes the ability to feel emotion. If a person doesn't have a right to feel any certain way, then the government may begin to dictate how a person will feel.

I would argue that ignoring the man was the problem to begin. Taking steps to lawfully have him ejected from that forum would be the proper action. Perhaps the asshats of the world would think twice, if they faced consequences everytime for doing such.

Ok, but do you have a right to be FREE from certain emotions like fear or anger? That is what many people are saying, that they have a RIGHT to be happy, or a FREEDOM from being annoyed by an asshat.

IMO: I don't like to tell people what to do or how to act, if I have an issue with a person's behaviour I remove myself from the vicinity. I personally don't think becoming a one man chivalry teacher will go very far in today's world and there are too many clowns out there just trying to stir up trouble that would see that as a challenge or a threat. My goal is to avoid conflicts, not instigate them. I also do believe that words can do little to harm another person so I don't see how a profain individual is enough of a threat to me or my family to warrant a confrontation on my part.

If the park is private property and they want him gone, it's their business, not mine. -That is just my opinion on it I could care less who wants to tattle on someone breaking a rule, just not my thing.

Top Bottom