To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I have a friend, former LEO, that says, Glock owners, place the slide between their thumb, and forefinger, to "rack" the slide, and all the while, the barrel, is pointing at the palm of their hand.... He said just go to ANY gunshop, and stand and watch !!!!! :twocents:

i still dont see how..... i have a glock and i tested to see if that could happen. i pulled out the mag, racked the slide back and thers no way my hand is big enough for my palm to be in front of the barrel.... He must have had huge hands.... i still dont see how it happened

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Apparently I'm not alone in wondering why the management at the Indy1500 doesn't have AT LEAST sand barrels at the entrance. Seems to be a commonsense safety precaution and if they were REALLY worried about it, they could station an LEO to watch for unsafe clearing/reloading.

FatOBX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    Carmel
    Not even sure there were firearms safety classes available to me when I started handling firearms. But, if it make you feel better you take all the classes you want and quit trying to tell everyone what they should be doing, please.

I think every one posting on this web forum should be required to read the Bill of Rights and some of the documents the founding fathers wrote about what they actually meant when they wrote them. :twocents:

If everyone who went to the 1500 read and obeyed the 4 basic rules of firearms handling, we'd have one less ND :cool: And that's just 4 sentences/thoughts!

If you're against responsible gun ownership, by all means, please tell me more how negligent discharges help the rest of us.

-T

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If everyone who went to the 1500 read and obeyed the 4 basic rules of firearms handling, we'd have one less ND :cool: And that's just 4 sentences/thoughts!

If you're against responsible gun ownership, by all means, please tell me more how negligent discharges help the rest of us.

-T

He's not against responsible gun ownership, he's just against mandatory training witch would be a bad thing for our gun rights. :dunno:

Im all for people getting as much training as they can but the state shouldn't tell you what kind of training you need to get in order to own a gun.

FatOBX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    Carmel
    He's not against responsible gun ownership, he's just against mandatory training witch would be a bad thing for our gun rights. :dunno:

Im all for people getting as much training as they can but the state shouldn't tell you what kind of training you need to get in order to own a gun.

I'd love to find a happy compromise because the truth is, this incident sets everyone back. Maybe have 5-10 booths set up free of charge for firearms handling instructions and NRA class signups? I know, not a perfect solution but I think we can at least meet folks somewhere. We'll be lucky to get through the next 4 years without losing some of our current ownership rights/requirements (or lack of requirements).

-T

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk, many of us have heard your stories, obviously some think only stupid idiotic numbskulls have firearms discharge when they are not supposed too[/QUOTE]

EVERYONE can have firearms discharge when they are not supposed to.

When I had my AD with the 870 it was pointed at a big hillside/mountainside in Alabama (Jenny) and the buckshot only hit the edge of the barricade and clay down range.

When I load or unload I EXPECT the weapon to discharge; this way when it happens (but, Kirk, guns don't do this--oh, yes they do) I am prepared for the shot.

That's why I believe that there should be an safe area for loading/unloading. This way when your pistol slam fires the bullet hits sand and not someone on 38th Street or your fellow patron.

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    To those that think the 1500 should be held liable, your liberal thinking is no different than those that said the gun and ammo manufacturers should be held liable for shooting deaths. Great thinking guys!!

Everyone here is saying that the act was stupid. Did anyone here witness the accident? Fenway stated that he thought that it was a 1911. Here is a case scenario - If it was an older 1911 without the firing pin block, it could have went off due to a slam firing. He may have loaded the chamber by releasing the slide release and did not realize that his other hand was in direct line of fire. But, I do not know this to be fact, because I was not there and did not witness the incident.
    I try to be careful as to casting stones as things do come back around bite us in the rear end.

I do hope this gentleman is going to be ok and that he did learn a lesson. Criticizing someone that has had a N/D, is not going to help. Utilizing an accident like this to educate other is a valuable tool. :twocents:

:yesway:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Kirk, many of us have heard your stories, obviously some think only stupid idiotic numbskulls have firearms discharge when they are not supposed too[/QUOTE]

EVERYONE can have firearms discharge when they are not supposed to.

When I had my AD with the 870 it was pointed at a big hillside/mountainside in Alabama (Jenny) and the buckshot only hit the edge of the barricade and clay down range.

When I load or unload I EXPECT the weapon to discharge; this way when it happens (but, Kirk, guns don't do this--oh, yes they do) I am prepared for the shot.

That's why I believe that there should be an safe area for loading/unloading. This way when your pistol slam fires the bullet hits sand and not someone on 38th Street or your fellow patron.

They don't want to hear that Kirk. They do not understand the 4 Rules protect one from injury in case there is an AD

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Neither is owning an AR-15, so what's your point? When did driving cease to be a right? People use to drive without needing a license or registering their vehicles, it was right. It does not need to be enumerated in the Constitution for it to be right.

Most people who try to make that case forget something very important.

The right to travel freely IS a right. The methods may have changed since horse and buggies, but the right remains, no matter how badly it's been infringed and taxed.

Yanno...after reading these posts i searched my swiss cheese mind and found some dim rememberance of some thing about free movement/transport in the constitution.No ninth amendment needed..Its been a LONG time since i read/studied the constitution...sorry I have been properly chastised and have seen the error of my ways. :):

If they would teach Gun Safety and marksmanship instead of spanish, french and sex education maybe people would know how to safely handle a weapon.

:popcorn: I will be waiting for the flack.

No flack...i agree with you, after a fashion. We teach sex education, drivers education, etc...why not firearms safety.

May be a huge difference between hunting and defense but that does not make it any less of a right.

Great idea actually, then maybe kids would learn something useful in public schools

The problem is the ones doing the teaching, this is not meant to disparage the (few) good teachers out there....but have you noticed how well our current skrewel system is NOT working? I mean they cant teach basic math or engrish correctly...i doubt they could handle firearms safety.

yeah, cause so many people know Spanish or French. Our education system is so bad, the NDs would probably sky rocket.

Agreed, see above post.

For those thinking the 1500 (or other gun show) should be supplying sand bags/barrels what have you...heres a thought...why not do what I do when arriving at the show....UNload/load your carry piece IN THE CAR!?!?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I disagree with mrjarrell!!!!
    people should be able to know how to handle that own gun safely..... thats part of the responsibility of owning a gun.

I do agree that there should be a safe place to clear your weapon. These clearing tubes or barrels are relatively inexpensive compared to a ricochet off the floor hitting someone.
    Find a place, anywhere, that I said training was a bad thing. I'll wait. And maybe you'll be closer to 50 posts.

jordanh34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    i have loaded and unloaded my weapon many times and this has never happened to me. how can people be so unaware of what is going on. we wonder why people dont want guns in our hands. has anyone "accidently disharged" their weapon?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    has anyone "accidently disharged" their weapon?

Hey! Have I told you about the 870 at Shootrite?:D Lemme tell you about it then.

Thunder Ranch Triad class at Shootrite in Langston, Alabama (Jenny) in dead of winter while Oregon is under 4 feet of snow, Clint Smith travels off-site to teach. 2 days of pistol, 2 days of carbine, 2 days of shotgun.

Second day of shotgun. I am using Scattergun Technologies (pre-Wilson Combat's purchase of them) "FBI Model" Remington 870. One handed reload drills behind cover. Working left side. I am down behind plywood cover. Throw in one round of Remington #00 with left hand. Right hand behind back.

As I close the action, the weapon discharges blowing 9 #00 buck pellets inot the side of a mountain in Alabama. My partner/safety officer states that at no time was any finger or other part of me on the trigger.

Everytime, every single time, you load or unload the weapon can discharge, especially those with inertia firing pins like 1911s and 870s.

High primer, grit in the spring, alignment of the stars=it happens.

Hwseeker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Are you kidding me?

I just shook my head when I saw the report about this. I do understand that "accidents happen", but what was this guy thinking?

And Indy wasn't the only "accidental shooting" at shows this past weekend.
    One idiot left a round in a shotgun and it went off at a security check as he was entering the building.

What happened to basic firearms safety? Can't anybody just leave the ammo at home?

The timing could not have been worse!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Yanno...after reading these posts i searched my swiss cheese mind and found some dim rememberance of some thing about free movement/transport in the constitution.No ninth amendment needed..Its been a LONG time since i read/studied the constitution...sorry I have been properly chastised and have seen the error of my ways. :):

No flack...i agree with you, after a fashion. We teach sex education, drivers education, etc...why not firearms safety.

The problem is the ones doing the teaching, this is not meant to disparage the (few) good teachers out there....but have you noticed how well our current skrewel system is NOT working? I mean they cant teach basic math or engrish correctly...i doubt they could handle firearms safety.

Agreed, see above post.

For those thinking the 1500 (or other gun show) should be supplying sand bags/barrels what have you...heres a thought...why not do what I do when arriving at the show....UNload/load your carry piece IN THE CAR!?!?

...unless I missed the sarcasm, wasn't the guy in question in his car when it happened? :dunno:

Top Bottom