To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Let he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone. Mistakes happen and we all make them. Not everyone does so with a firearm, but this guy did and paid the price. Unfortunately, the time and place added fuel to the fire. Let's remember that there's a human being out there who made a mistake and may have ended his career in the process. He broke the rules and paid the price, luckily he was the only physical victim of the event. Let's be thankful for that.

There was a thread not too long ago about a member taking a class and made a mistake holstering his weapon. There was an ND and fortunately no injuries. Mistakes happen people, we are all human!

It's also unfortunate that a gun is nearly required to attend the event safely due to the proximity of Indy's biggest killing fields.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Let he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone. Mistakes happen and we all make them. Not everyone does so with a firearm, but this guy did and paid the price. Unfortunately, the time and place added fuel to the fire. Let's remember that there's a human being out there who made a mistake and may have ended his career in the process. He broke the rules and paid the price, luckily he was the only physical victim of the event. Let's be thankful for that.

There was a thread not too long ago about a member taking a class and made a mistake holstering his weapon. There was an ND and fortunately no injuries. Mistakes happen people, we are all human!

It's also unfortunate that a gun is nearly required to attend the event safely due to the proximity of Indy's biggest killing fields.

There are a couple of members who had NDs and I know one of them personally. I happen to know he is a very safe gun owner, but it happened. These incidents just make me even more careful, but not too hauty to think it could NEVER happen to me.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    That approach will help to alleviate the situation!! Can't help yourself so name calling and trash talking will help?? I don't think so!

Remember it is politically correct to call such an incident as "negligent discharge". Stop *****footing around the situation with nice words and call it like it is. Name calling and trash talking against an idiot like this is called for. What are we supposed to say, its ok to be an idiot who handles a firearm negligently? Stop being politically correct when some people just don't get it unless you are in their face. And they deserve to be humiliated. I, have been around guns for 50+ years and was taught the rules and the rules were enforced and if you didn't follow the rules bye bye guns and worse from the "old man". Stupidity like this happens because of negligence and there is no cure for stupid. Idiots like this guy who shot himself in the hand need to stop being negligent and stupid. "Accidents" just don't happen, they are caused by negligence. Period!:rockwoot:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Remember it is politically correct to call such an incident as "negligent discharge". Stop *****footing around the situation with nice words and call it like it is. Name calling and trash talking against an idiot like this is called for. What are we supposed to say, its ok to be an idiot who handles a firearm negligently? Stop being politically correct when some people just don't get it unless you are in their face. And they deserve to be humiliated. I, have been around guns for 50+ years and was taught the rules and the rules were enforced and if you didn't follow the rules bye bye guns and worse from the "old man". Stupidity like this happens because of negligence and there is no cure for stupid. Idiots like this guy who shot himself in the hand need to stop being negligent and stupid. "Accidents" just don't happen, they are caused by negligence. Period!:rockwoot:
    Sometimes guns do just go off while reloading, the only fail we know for sure is that he wasn't aware of his target, IE his pinky finger.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Can we have neg rep back before I get in trouble

breath-in-breath-out.png

rgoodin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    ok, how does a guy shoot himself in the hand reloading a weapon? I know i reload mine with two hand. One for the magazine and one holding the gun. point weapon in safe direction insert magazine. I dont chamber a round.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    BunnyKid: Sorry if you got upset with the strong position I took. I apologize if it offended you.
    The only thing I found offensive is the quick judgement every one is making about this man without any details other than he shot his finger off. He may have been doing that very thing for 30 years and it just happened that it discharged on him that day. Who knows? I do not. Sorry about the name calling sir.

FatOBX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    Carmel
    The 1500 should be liable for any damages that occur as a result of a ND, since they are the ones who require people to unload their firearms. Every time you have to take a firearm out of its nice, safe holster and futz around with it to unload or load it, you run the risk of a ND. Their asinine rules compound the problem. Multiply that by the hundreds of people who are required to do it at any given show and your recipe for disaster goes up even farther. Their rules, their liability. Even the safest gun owner can have a discharge, as we have seen here on INGO many times. And the 1500 doesn't even provide a safe area to unload. The foyer is not safe and there are no barrels.

I absolutely have to disagree here. If a gun owner, in any location, can't easily unload and reload their respective firearm (especially their carry weapon), he/she shouldn't have the weapon. Period.

I do agree, however, that barrels would be nice. Yes, I think it would help. Personally I think new gun owners should be required to take a firearm safety class. Is it unfair to judge the 5,000+ that attended the 1500 this weekend based on one man's incompetence? Hell yes. But that's the world we live in.

-T

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I absolutely have to disagree here. If a gun owner, in any location, can't easily unload and reload their respective firearm (especially their carry weapon), he/she shouldn't have the weapon. Period.

I do agree, however, that barrels would be nice. Yes, I think it would help. Personally I think new gun owners should be required to take a firearm safety class. Is it unfair to judge the 5,000+ that attended the 1500 this weekend based on one man's incompetence? Hell yes. But that's the world we live in.

-T
    Not even sure there were firearms safety classes available to me when I started handling firearms. But, if it make you feel better you take all the classes you want and quit trying to tell everyone what they should be doing, please.

I think every one posting on this web forum should be required to read the Bill of Rights and some of the documents the founding fathers wrote about what they actually meant when they wrote them. :twocents:

rgoodin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I disagree with mrjarrell!!!!
    people should be able to know how to handle that own gun safely..... thats part of the responsibility of owning a gun.

I do agree that there should be a safe place to clear your weapon. These clearing tubes or barrels are relatively inexpensive compared to a ricochet off the floor hitting someone.

Top Bottom