• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Its been a couple years since I seen the black yote. Maybe he has always been here, but the snow highlights him better? I seen a fat (pregnant?) normal looking yote a week or so ago also. No chance for pics of it.

I don't have animals and the neighbor's dogs aren't missing, so I don't have a real reason to take these varmints. Should I anyway?

P1000845_zpsb3d086ad.jpg
    P10008532_zps4bdd1bec.jpg

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Years ago they used to have an annual "Fox Drive" as a fund raiser for the Losantville Vol. Fire Dept. Back in the day, they'd only take foxes, but along into the late '80s they started taking Coyotes. One of the last times I participated, somebody took a beautiful black Coyote, looked a lot like your pic.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Shoot the son of a *****! None of them (color notwithstanding) are any good for anything and you can rest assured that it is a problem to someone, perhaps someone who lack your hunting skills.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Shoot the son of a *****! None of them (color notwithstanding) are any good for anything and you can rest assured that it is a problem to someone, perhaps someone who lack your hunting skills.

+1! Only good coyote is a dead coyote. Unless your place is absolutely overrun with rabbits, mice & rats there are too many around.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Its been a couple years since I seen the black yote. Maybe he has always been here, but the snow highlights him better? I seen a fat (pregnant?) normal looking yote a week or so ago also. No chance for pics of it.

I don't have animals and the neighbor's dogs aren't missing, so I don't have a real reason to take these varmints. Should I anyway?
    Yet.

I would take the shot.

Dodgerdoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Bloomington
    From a livestock standpoint, I'd say let it go. You said it best that there are no problems and nothing is missing. Once had a biologist speak to our cattlemans association about predators and their control. If you have a coyote and no problems, you have a "good" one. Kill it and you will have another take its place quickly. Is that one content with mice and voles like the last one? Does it prefer fawns and puppies instead? That's a pretty big gamble. I grew up on a big cattle farm and coyotes were never an issue. Dogs were always a problem. I worked on a farm with about 300 sheep, and saw coyotes walk past the pens and never look in. Those were "good" ones we left alone.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    From a livestock standpoint, I'd say let it go. You said it best that there are no problems and nothing is missing. Once had a biologist speak to our cattlemans association about predators and their control. If you have a coyote and no problems, you have a "good" one. Kill it and you will have another take its place quickly. Is that one content with mice and voles like the last one? Does it prefer fawns and puppies instead? That's a pretty big gamble. I grew up on a big cattle farm and coyotes were never an issue. Dogs were always a problem. I worked on a farm with about 300 sheep, and saw coyotes walk past the pens and never look in. Those were "good" ones we left alone.

This reminds me of a story:

At a meeting of sheep ranchers with the .gov representative, a young college graduate trying to mend their misconceptions about predators, the young government man explained that they were about to start a program to capture and sterilize wolves. After going through his spiel, an old farmer at the back of the room spoke up and said, "Young man, you apparently don't understand our problem. The wolves aren't f**king our sheep, they're killing them."

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    About the coyote, if you are not hunting in the area for game, and it is not causing any problems, then I say let it go. It could be good at pest control such as the mice and possums

nocash84

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    If it isnt bothering the livestock, I would just leave it alone. Sounds like everything is in balance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Friends that own property for hunting have seen a great reduction in Rabbits/ground nesting birds/deer. They have seen an explosion in the Yote population.
    Shoot it. There will be another one along soon enough.
    Oh, shoot the pregnant one as well.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Friends that own property for hunting have seen a great reduction in Rabbits/ground nesting birds/deer. They have seen an explosion in the Yote population.

You need to take me Yote hunting with you to your friends property. I've only hunted Yotes once and had a blast.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Not defending the coyote, but the ground nesting bird problem probably has more to do with coons and snakes than coyotes.. Possoms are egg eaters too.
    Black coyote is still a coyote and the only good one, (like starlings) is a dead one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not defending the coyote, but the ground nesting bird problem probably has more to do with coons and snakes than coyotes.. Possoms are egg eaters too.
    Black coyote is still a coyote and the only good one, (like starlings) is a dead one.

We just related the bird reduction to the Yote increase. They will kill and eat anything they can. Possums/coons are fewer these days as well. Hard to really say with out hard evidence.

Top Bottom