• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Shoot it. Man is the only predator the coyote has in this area. They are highly adaptive. If left unchecked their population will continue to grow until they run out of habitat. Then they start moving into ares of more population and cause problems.

Give them an honorable and quick death. Beats the Hell out of starving.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Seems to be an awful thick critter...

Positive ID on it being a 'yote?

Really doesn't matter except for semantics, though. A roaming dog is a roaming dog...

-J-

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Not defending the coyote, but the ground nesting bird problem probably has more to do with coons and snakes than coyotes.. Possoms are egg eaters too.
    Black coyote is still a coyote and the only good one, (like starlings) is a dead one.
    They did a study years ago and where there were wolves the ground nesting birds did much better..................because they kill the coyotes who in fact do hit the nests fairly hard. Wolves don't generally mess with nests. Coyotes do hit deer fawns fairly hard in spring.

The other side of the coin is he keeps rodents and rabbits out of your garden. I have cats and dogs for that.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    1. Go get your :smileak:.
    2. Then you go :shoot: and kill dat dirty varmint.
    3. Next you round up a bunch of old meat and stake it down under some chain link fence. When the rest of 'em start comin in you go :ar15:and kill some more.
    4. Repeat.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That black one is very cool and would make a very nice mount..... Kill'm and mount him/her....

Reminds me of an old joke...

A hunter is out with his two best dogs. long story short he takes a bad shot and accidentally takes out both his dogs with stray pellets from his shotgun.

He loved those dogs so much he called a taxidermist. After a long discussion the taxidermist says "Its clear you loved those dogs. I know you want them stuffed. Do you want them mounted?" To which the owner replied. "Nah, just shaking hands is fine.":rofl:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Like the one guy said, if you do shoot it, there will be another one to take it's place. One of the proudest days of my young life was in the early 70's when I was 13 and caught my first fox with a leg-hold trap in a "dirt hole set". I still like to look at that picture of me holding it up, with a big goofy smile on my face. Anyway, back in those days there were no coyotes around and now they are in every county in the state.

The thing I respect the most about Mr. Coyote is that for well over a hundred years, he's been public enemy number one; hunted, trapped, and poisoned. Heck, some western states PAID guys to kill as many as they could, and yet, there he is and there he will continue to be. Living on little to nothing when he has to, avoiding trouble when he can and breeding more than enough to fill the voids caused by hunters, trucks, and cars. I've hunted them and killed them, but I do have a lot of respect for them.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Years ago they used to have an annual "Fox Drive" as a fund raiser for the Losantville Vol. Fire Dept. Back in the day, they'd only take foxes, but along into the late '80s they started taking Coyotes. One of the last times I participated, somebody took a beautiful black Coyote, looked a lot like your pic.

I live outside of Modoc (between modoc and lynn) on 10.5 acres. I would put my money up 10:1 that I watched a black yote run across the back of my property. By the time I seen it, there wasn't a safe shot available.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Didn't know those were rare, they are everywhere around here. I just figure they were some mix with dogs as they are larger.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    DON'T KILL!!! Trap them.

then drop them off in Bloomington and Carmel.

Top Bottom