• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    If SHTF I am bugging out back home. I am down in Indy for schooling and my home is 2-3 hours north in Wabash. I am currently building my BOB as of right now and building a few small preps here.

I drive a Durango and try to keep it fueld up so I would be able to make it back without stopping. But i am worried about being blocked or having the vehicle hijacked or something along those lines.

When i head home the only thing i would pack up is my BOB, G19, AR15, with ammo for both, and then if i have time any clothes and preps I have built up.

If my vehicle is for some reason out of service would it be best to show the handgun or conceal it? I know that my rifle would be obviously showing but if for some reason I have to get out of the vehicle and leave my rifle in it...Would it be smart to OC to show im not to mess with or to conceal so they dont open fire up first?

I am currently building my BOB as stated but Im trying to decide whether to build a war belt or chest rig.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hard to answer that question. You have a long distance to travel and much or nothing can happen on a trip like that. I would stay to the side roads as much as possible. As to brandishing or just showing a weapon that would be according to the situation. If you are blocked, act accordingly. Flee or avoid if possible. Live to fight another day or a battle of your choosing. I would keep my pistol at arms reach. I would not show, brandish or point it unless I was fully prepared to use it.
    If you feel threatened as in a potential car jack, act accordingly. Your durango is a pretty lethal weapon, us it.

Edit...avoid large crowds or traffic jambs, stay mobile if possible.

Last edited:

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I would think that you generally want to appear to have as little resources as possible. Openly carrying your gun(s) near many people who may not be as prepared as you could be a bad idea. You also don't want to look helpless, though. As always you want a happy medium.

You also don't want to be mistaken as a BG by the cops, if they are still operating. I'd think that during even a major disaster they would still be out in force in populated areas, even if only early on. In an already high-stress situation I'm betting they would shoot first and ask questions later.

If I had to carry a long gun I'd carry my stock SKS or 10/22 over a black rifle (were I fortunate enough to have one) because more sheeple would perceive it as less threatening, yet still 'present' to show them the consequence of messing with me.

But, I'd OC when outside of highly populated areas.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    All I will say is, when navigating in a secure manner, it is easier to do so with your hands empty. Granted, you are not crossing very uneven terrain in that area, but just trying to use a compass and binoculars and once in awhile your map means keeping your hands free.

If you just have handguns on you, your mind will tend to say "lets avoid a shootout." It is also easier to conceal when you feel the need to do so. I can do both when on foot with my set up. The rifle or shotgun I would carry, if I chose to do so, are both compact and able to be concealed under a coat.

Frankly, I think long guns are more critical in and around traffic then on foot. When shooting through vehicles and windshields a handgun is the last choice.

Once on foot, if somebody can see you at 200 yards and they want to shoot you, they will do so. You will never hear it coming. If I am alone, I am not starting any fire fights either so handguns and cans are more valuable.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Only one good answer here: conceal. Get and use an IWB holster (check out N8 squared) immediately. Also get and use a non tacti-kool bag for the AR (like a bat bag). Remember: CC gives you more options. PS I like your weapon choices, if you also carry a Benchmafe knife i'll adopt you.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I would think that you generally want to appear to have as little resources as possible. Openly carrying your gun(s) near many people who may not be as prepared as you could be a bad idea. You also don't want to look helpless, though. As always you want a happy medium.

You also don't want to be mistaken as a BG by the cops, if they are still operating. I'd think that during even a major disaster they would still be out in force in populated areas, even if only early on. In an already high-stress situation I'm betting they would shoot first and ask questions later.

If I had to carry a long gun I'd carry my stock SKS or 10/22 over a black rifle (were I fortunate enough to have one) because more sheeple would perceive it as less threatening, yet still 'present' to show them the consequence of messing with me.

But, I'd OC when outside of highly populated areas.

Yea i dont have a non black rifle at all lol. The only guns i have with my are the AR and G19 which is OD but still counts! I understand where your coming from though. Maybe a scabbard?

All I will say is, when navigating in a secure manner, it is easier to do so with your hands empty. Granted, you are not crossing very uneven terrain in that area, but just trying to use a compass and binoculars and once in awhile your map means keeping your hands free.

If you just have handguns on you, your mind will tend to say "lets avoid a shootout." It is also easier to conceal when you feel the need to do so. I can do both when on foot with my set up. The rifle or shotgun I would carry, if I chose to do so, are both compact and able to be concealed under a coat.

Frankly, I think long guns are more critical in and around traffic then on foot. When shooting through vehicles and windshields a handgun is the last choice.

Once on foot, if somebody can see you at 200 yards and they want to shoot you, they will do so. You will never hear it coming. If I am alone, I am not starting any fire fights either so handguns and cans are more valuable.

Very true! I live downtown as in 9th and Alabama so I am going to have to go through alot of traffic to get out of time. I have 5 routes to get out but not matter which way i go i will have to go though traffic for sure. Maybe conceal my handgun but keep my rifle in the passenger seat? I also have a holster mounted in my vehicle for quick access as well.

Only one good answer here: conceal. Get and use an IWB holster (check out N8 squared) immediately. Also get and use a non tacti-kool bag for the AR (like a bat bag). Remember: CC gives you more options. PS I like your weapon choices, if you also carry a Benchmafe knife i'll adopt you.

I currenty have a very nice hybrid IWB holster made my a guy on here. I did a review awhile back on it. I usuallly CC when im not at work. Do you think it would throw off a radar of a guy carrying a backpack and another bag? Maybe a scabbard or would that be too much? Because i want quick access to the gun if I were to need it. I carry a CRKT Point Guard lol cant afford anything super nice as of right now. Really want a good fixed blade here pretty soon.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Snip..

On foot I think it would be wise to avoid people as much as possible, evade to live, fight only when it's a last resort.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I would consider keeping a second small handgun either in an ankle holster or concealed somewhere where you could get to it quickly. That way if BGs got the drop on you and disarmed you, you would have a backup weapon they might not find.

Walkersdlx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Evansville
    Go low profile, Hi profiles would be targets for the army like we seen in hurricane katrina. During katrina the army took peoples guns, and disarmed civilians. Also if you have time before bugging out. I would hide you wepons in a very good spot like inside a wall. The army went into peoples home and took their guns.

Walkersdlx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Evansville
    I built a holster for my AR so it can be tucked, and hidden on the backside of my hiking backpack. The only downside is it's not loaded, because there wasnt room for a mag. Anyways, I can look just like a out doors type guy who looks unarmed. While packing a AR and the old 45.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Much depends on individual circumstances, which could vary over the course of your trip, but IMHO, the gray man strategy is usually your best default option - hence conceal. It gives options other operational modes don't because you know something the casual observer doesn't.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I would consider keeping a second small handgun either in an ankle holster or concealed somewhere where you could get to it quickly. That way if BGs got the drop on you and disarmed you, you would have a backup weapon they might not find.

To me, the option of a concealed ankle holster ="s "It's already to late", they got the drop on you, the key word being "they". So that means one of two things, either your standing or they sit you down.

Standing means you're going to have to be Flash Gordon and not be seen trying grab from the ankle holster, if they sit you down, more than likely a ankle holster will show, so they get it also.

If I was ever to wear a second firearm it would be small of the back inside waist band while carrying open on the hip.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I think its "less is more". Of course the live to fight another day comes to mind too. I'd be less likely to show it all. As many others have said, its all about the situation, you certainly don't want to look all "mad max" either.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think its "less is more". Of course the live to fight another day comes to mind too. I'd be less likely to show it all. As many others have said, its all about the situation, you certainly don't want to look all "mad max" either.

I believe the original Mad Max movie got a lot of folks thinking about this scenario. It did me.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Maybe conceal my handgun but keep my rifle in the passenger seat? I also have a holster mounted in my vehicle for quick access as well.
    That more or less is exactly how I do it.

Just think in terms of driving through any possible LEO road blocks. Not that LEO's are going to be an issue but remember Katrina, they disarmed law abiding citizens. If you are armed and they want you not to be, now you are in a dangerous situation. Facing armed professionals OR traveling on unarmed yourself. Both options suck.

Practice out of sight out of mind.

Add a blanket big enough to cover your long gun. Also, use as small a long gun as possible. Put another holster up under your dash too that is way out of sight but you can get to from the drivers seat.

You see where this is going, you are going to need 2 handguns. Maybe "invest" in an SBR tax too.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    To me, the option of a concealed ankle holster ="s "It's already to late", they got the drop on you, the key word being "they". So that means one of two things, either your standing or they sit you down.

Standing means you're going to have to be Flash Gordon and not be seen trying grab from the ankle holster, if they sit you down, more than likely a ankle holster will show, so they get it also.

If I was ever to wear a second firearm it would be small of the back inside waist band while carrying open on the hip.

That's a good point. I was thinking specifically of the scene in "Patriots" where one of the characters was on his way to the retreat when he stopped to help someone alongside the road ( or some reason, don't remember exactly). Turned out it was an ambush. They relieved him of his long gun and obvious sidearm and when they were deciding whether to kill him he pulled out his hidden gun and shot them.
    I could see a similar scenario in real life. Not every BG is going to be ready to shoot to kill and some just won't really have a plan. Some won't be ready to make that step to cold-blooded killer and might want to just relieve you of your supplies.
    You don't have to necessarily kill either, just make them leave and, of course, that depends on the particular situation.
    Cops often carry a concealed back up for various reasons. Just seems smart to me.

runt6213

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    If all you have is your AR and glock and don't want attention on you. Separate your upper and lowers and shove them in a gym bag and carry that across you shoulder.
    The glock should be easy enough to get to in an IWB holster, and if anything should happen take out the glock, fire and retreat in to cover and put you AR together and proceed to move.

That's an option, not the best way to carry or get to your rifle but it will conceal well

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Interesting reading. Everyone has a different way to achieve the goal of moving through the country side and maintaining their safety.
    I personally have a vest that will hold (6) hi-cap mags for an AR. It will hold (6) hi-cap mags for my Para Ordinance. The pistol also holsters on the vest or a detachable tactical holster. If I have to I can wear a loose fitting flannel shirt. It will hide all of that gear. As I am a fairly large fellow it is not all that obvious at first glance. The AR (M-4) is not that concealable unless it is cold enough to warrant a coat. I have a long coat that will cover the M-4 when slung from a single point.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    That's a good point. I was thinking specifically of the scene in "Patriots" where one of the characters was on his way to the retreat when he stopped to help someone alongside the road ( or some reason, don't remember exactly). Turned out it was an ambush. They relieved him of his long gun and obvious sidearm and when they were deciding whether to kill him he pulled out his hidden gun and shot them.
    I could see a similar scenario in real life. Not every BG is going to be ready to shoot to kill and some just won't really have a plan. Some won't be ready to make that step to cold-blooded killer and might want to just relieve you of your supplies.
    You don't have to necessarily kill either, just make them leave and, of course, that depends on the particular situation.
    Cops often carry a concealed back up for various reasons. Just seems smart to me.

And some bad guys will shoot you out of hand as soon as they get the drop on you.

A survival axiom is "two is one, one is none". Try to have a backup sidearm and try REAL hard not to get ambushed. If you have to evacuate back home, you had probably better cultivate a functional paranoia until you're safely home.

The one time I read about a situation close to what you're envisioning, two families were evacuating ahead of Hurricane Katrina. They had extra fuel and water in the back of a pickup and the two men had to display their handguns to avoid having their extra fuel and water "liberated" by folks who hadn't prepared as well.

Top Bottom