• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I would not step foot into that establishment again. If that is an example of their "salesmanship", then I wouldn't want to have any dealings with them at all.

I would also inform everyone that would listen to stay away.

Plus 1 on this..... Sell it privately or if you are bent on selling it to a dealer, shop it around.
    :twocents:

NiceGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Geeeeeez, really? I agree - no reputable dealer would spin such a yarn. Ask him if he'd sell it on consignment and see what he says.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    correct there is not state registration, but LE can still access the federal database containing gun sales from dealers....you didn't think that little piece of paper you fill out at a dealer just goes in the trash did you? ;)

Well, that's not exactly how that works from my understanding, but yes they can track it back through Manufacturer to Distributor to Shop, and then the Shop has the record of that particular firearm and to what original buyer purchased it.

As far as I know, the feds do not record a serial # during the call, and unless the dealer goes out of business, the form is not turned over to the ATF.

As others have said though the info from the dealer about private sales is BS.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    This no BS! What are you selling and how much do you want? Post it in the INGO classifieds. Unless your asking NIB price for a used product, it will probably sell.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ....that is why many private sellers ask for a DL and a LTCH to provide evidence that you may legally own in this state...

Neither of those are required to legally own any firearm in this state.

There are plenty of other ways to verify if you suspect for some reason they are not an Indiana resident or are less than 18 years old.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not only did the dealer completely BS this guy, but now he's terrified to sell a gun in a private sale.

I don't really blame the dealer, though, he is a SALESMAN after all, they'll tell you anything to get your pants down.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Aside from the dealer bs does anyone avoid sales where you have to fill out a bill of sale or show an LTCH?

I am all for showing my license, but after that I feel like it is more hassle than anything. I have sold more than my fair share of firearms over the years and never required it.

From where I sit I need to know they are a legal IN resident over 18 years of age. Granted DL's can be forged, but LTCH? Really it is a piece of paper. It would take no time to fake. As for a bill of sale you are trusting that you are filling it out correctly. In the end it seems like a really futile attempt to cover your butt.

As for my end I do not want someone I just bought a gun from to know where I live. I don't know you. I don't want you having any info on me that can be used to track me down. It isn't because I am a criminal, its because I just:rolleyes: bought a gun from you and don't want to be robbed.....

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    This does not make any since. Since you do not have to register a gun in Indiana, they would have no idea who the orginal owner was. And plus, why would they make somone who sold the gun pay for legal damages. I would suggegst that if you do sell it to a non-dealer that you kepp proof of the transaction, and to whom the gun was sold to.

This....

From my understanding, when you purchase a gun from a dealer... IN INDIANA, they only report that you purchased a "type of gun" ie... pistol, rifle, shotgun to the ATF/CIA or whoever. The powers that be do not know anything else about the gun... no serial numbers, no make or model... nothing else.

There would be no proof linking that pistol from that kid... past the kids girlfriend, past the girlfriends dad.. back to the original purchaser???

Obviously I could be completely wrong about the above... but from my limited knowledge, I also call BS.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    From where I sit I need to know they are a legal IN resident over 18 years of age. Granted DL's can be forged, but LTCH?

I also wonder the same thing.... at what end are private sellers trying to achieve?

It seems to me that the only thing you need to prove is that you are over 18 and an Indiana Resident?

I mean, how is the private seller going to know whether the purchaser has a felony or not? I guess a LTCH is better than nothing... but what is to say that it isn't something the purchaser obtained before he was convicted of a felony?

It seems to me that there is no reliable way of proving that who you sell to is not a convicted felon.... and therefore with the current laws, it seems to me that the responsibility of making sure the purchaser can legally posses a firearm is in the lap of the purchaser.

Maybe we can get some clarification from some of the LEO's here...

It would seem to me that if they are 18+ and an Indiana resident, as a seller you have done your half. I guess you could always put a clause in the bill of sale that has the purchaser sign a waiver that states that they are not a felon. That would seem to be more reassurance than a LTCH?

"I verify that by Indiana State Law/Federal Law, I am legally able to purchase a firearm with no restriction. Signed:______________________"

I hate to say it... because I am not typically the one for any kind of government restrictions... but I find it baffling that you don't have to register a firearm here, but when it comes to registering a car or motorcycle, you need to have cop come to your house etc...

Last edited:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    To be honest, the story was from Ed Hirschy's. The way it was said is that the sale was from one engineer buddy to his other engineer buddy. They knew each other and I guess it got back to some ambulance chaser lawyer looking for a buck.

/shrug

Isn't ole Ed the same one that you have to call and make an appointment to come in and see what he sells? My understanding was you have to purchase something from him if you show or you cannot come back. This was told to me by one of the Dr.'s that I work with. My bet is if he is that dumb to tell you that story without knowing Indiana's laws, I would do business somewhere else. Might be worth spending a few more $$ with someone that isn't such a dumba$$.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Isn't ole Ed the same one that you have to call and make an appointment to come in and see what he sells? My understanding was you have to purchase something from him if you show or you cannot come back. This was told to me by one of the Dr.'s that I work with. My bet is if he is that dumb to tell you that story without knowing Indiana's laws, I would do business somewhere else. Might be worth spending a few more $$ with someone that isn't such a dumba$$.

Yes, have to have appointment. I never heard of the other though. Now, you can possibly get a great deal from him, but you have to know what you want and know what a good deal is... Last I knew, he wouldn't even quote a price over the phone, but rather he wanted to know what he had to match to get your business...

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    This is what i use.

I State you name traded a _______________________________________________________
    For a ______________________________________________________________________
    To _________________________________________________________________________
    I certify I am a resident of the state of Indiana; I also certify I can also own a firearm without restrictions.
    I take full responsibility for the information on this form. _____________________________
    DOB ___/___/______
    On __ __/__ __/ 2012

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Not only did the dealer completely BS this guy, but now he's terrified to sell a gun in a private sale.

I don't really blame the dealer, though, he is a SALESMAN after all, they'll tell you anything to get your pants down.

I hope your joking! This guy isn't a salesman, he's a SCAMMER!!!
    Any gun shop can buy plenty of guns from people walking in without resorting to flat out lying !

Of course, like anything else, you can always get more money selling to an individual than to a dealer, but some people will always be more comfortable selling to the shop.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Good ol Ed! People either love him or hate him. He can offer some of the best prices in town, but he can be very odd to deal with. Bottom line though on this incident, yes the story was BS. He wants to buy the gun for cheap so he can resell it for a profit.

No matter what a shop will not give you the best price for it. They just can't, they have to have room for markup. The positive to selling to a shop is that, provided it is something they are interested in, it is a quick and easy sale. Selling on your own privately will get you more money but may take longer. Just depends how soon you need the cash I guess. Best of luck. :ingo:

vette3667

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    Smells fishy to me. I have always been told as long as you have an accurate paper trail of where the pistol went after you, then I think your fine. If not I could be in trouble because I bought an sold a lot of handguns before I figured out what I like. Dealers keep those records so there is some value there but you will get ALOT less for it. Sometimes trading to a dealer is ok for the sales tax savings but I wouldn't sell to them.

Top Bottom