• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm not certain yet, but due to finances I may have to sell a pistol. I asked a local dealer on what they thought about private sales to which they replied, "I wouldn't." His logic being that you could be liable for it down the road if it were find its way to an improper person, or other nefarious activities.

He then told me a story of a person he knows who did a non-dealer sale to a buddy (both were proper and had signed a bill of sale) and then that buddy gave it to his daughter and the boyfriend did something stupid with it when he took it from said girlfriend. Long story short, this moron, aka "boyfriend," got into some trouble.

I think it was a DUI or something but had the pistol on him and no CCW or LTCH so charges were filed because of that as well. Now the original owner/seller has to spent about $10,000 in legal fees, travel, time off work after being served.

Also, he said that if I were to sell it to a "dealer" none of the above would ever happen because of what dealers have to do in terms of law, paperwork, and their business. Does any of this sound right or is he just out to make a few bucks on quick flip?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Okay, let me be the first to call B.S. to the dealers story. You will always get more selling on the open market than to a dealer.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

I've never heard a reputable shop give this advice.

Is he just out to make a few bucks on quick flip?

You can be the judge; he won't make money off a private sale.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not certain yet, but due to finances I may have to sell a pistol. I asked a local dealer on what they thought about private sales to which they replied, "I wouldn't." His logic being that you could be liable for it down the road if it were find its way to an improper person, or other nefarious activities.

He then told me a story of a person he knows who did a non-dealer sale to a buddy (both were proper and had signed a bill of sale) and then that buddy gave it to his daughter and the boyfriend did something stupid with it when he took it from said girlfriend. Long story short, this moron, aka "boyfriend," got into some trouble.

I think it was a DUI or something but had the pistol on him and no CCW or LTCH so charges were filed because of that as well. Now the original owner/seller has to spent about $10,000 in legal fees, travel, time off work after being served.

Also, he said that if I were to sell it to a "dealer" none of the above would ever happen because of what dealers have to do in terms of law, paperwork, and their business. Does any of this sound right or is he just out to make a few bucks on quick flip?

I call BS....you are not legally restricted from private sales so long as you do what you can to verify the person you're selling it to is legally able to have a firearm....that is why many private sellers ask for a DL and a LTCH to provide evidence that you may legally own in this state........in which case the original owner simply informs the officers that he sold the weapon and that is the end of his legal liability unless they can somehow prove WHO he sold it to AND that the seller did not try his "best" to make sure they could legally own it

additionally, the dealer makes money from selling guns....they would rather you sell to them so they can make something off it.....if EVERYONE knew that they could sell a gun for more to a individual than a store, then the store's used inventory would be reduced quite a bit.......the stores offer about 60% of what the gun costs them new, so it works out to be about 50% of the price they have on that gun on their new shelf.....sell it to a private citizen and get more:twocents:

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Okay, let me be the first to call B.S. to the dealers story. You will always get more selling on the open market than to a dealer.

I thought BS too. It is nice, well taken care of, low round count, and a few extras. I'd like full private party sale price in lieu of "dealer buyout price" but he made it sound like a travisty to sell to anyone but a dealer. In Indiana for a private sale we needn't do a background check right? Isn't it just make a reasonable attempt to make sure this possible seller is proper right?

Edit: If I do sell, I'll be wanting a current IN DL, LTCH, and bill of sale.

TailBlazer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    This does not make any since. Since you do not have to register a gun in Indiana, they would have no idea who the orginal owner was. And plus, why would they make somone who sold the gun pay for legal damages. I would suggegst that if you do sell it to a non-dealer that you kepp proof of the transaction, and to whom the gun was sold to.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This does not make any since. Since you do not have to register a gun in Indiana, they would have no idea who the orginal owner was. And plus, why would they make somone who sold the gun pay for legal damages. I would suggegst that if you do sell it to a non-dealer that you kepp proof of the transaction, and to whom the gun was sold to.

To be honest, the story was from Ed Hirschy's. The way it was said is that the sale was from one engineer buddy to his other engineer buddy. They knew each other and I guess it got back to some ambulance chaser lawyer looking for a buck.

/shrug

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

correct there is not state registration, but LE can still access the federal database containing gun sales from dealers....you didn't think that little piece of paper you fill out at a dealer just goes in the trash did you? ;)

also, it is common to require a bill of sale when buying or purchasing a gun for safety......but BOTH parties should receive a copy ...I personally will NOT fill one out unless this happens....I'm not going to give someone my private information without having theirs in return.....

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    To be honest, the story was from Ed Hirschy's. The way it was said is that the sale was from one engineer buddy to his other engineer buddy. They knew each other and I guess it got back to some ambulance chaser lawyer looking for a buck.

/shrug
    he still have safes up there that he sells???????

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    he still have safes up there that he sells???????

I'm not certain about the safes. He does have another room he operates out of that I did not see. Not saying he's a bad guy, I don't really know him that well but it seems people have mixed opinions of him.

Edit: LOL on the South Park, I love that episode. Especially when they are throwing the balls at Jennifer Love Hewitt's Mouth.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the dealer is trying to get your gun.

your in fortwayne, go to 21century firarms in bluffton if you decide to sell your gun. but you will get more money and be liability free selling it privatly

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would not step foot into that establishment again. If that is an example of their "salesmanship", then I wouldn't want to have any dealings with them at all.

I would also inform everyone that would listen to stay away.

Top Bottom