Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They might be specifically looking for a reason to fight.

"I'm not going to wear a mask and punch the first person tells me too!"

I mean, there's just as many ancedotal stories and videos of anti-maskers as there are of mask-martinets.
    Plus, what is the expected outcome of such and interaction? The likelihood of me saying, "Excuse me, but you should be wearing a mask" getting a positive response is infinitesimal.

EDIT: I wasn't exactly trying to be dismissive or derogitory in my post, but you said it yourself Hatin: you think not wearing a mask is your right.

How so? Who has a better grasp on the value of freedom and one whose had it and lost it? I bet if I had to walk to work for a week, I'd certain value my car a lot more, hence working hard to preserve it.
    When you say it the way you said it, it looks a lot to me like mocking. There's nothing wrong with wanting to stick up for one's own rights. You've said that you don't advocate for mandates, so that's a rights-based statement right there. If you're of the opinion that people *should* wear masks, and stop short of saying they *must* wear masks, that's fine. But then leave the "rights" mocking out of it because it is apparently a position you also hold, at least a little.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You seem to be assuming the order is lawful.
    Well, it is. The Indiana general assembly duly gave the governor that authority via its constitutionally granted power to do so. Regardless of how foolishly unlimited it is, it's still what it is. Once a foolishly unlimited law is on the books, it's staying there. I dunno. At least until the governor does something the chamber-o-commerce Republican thinks is so foolish that they reign in his power.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When you say it the way you said it, it looks a lot to me like mocking. There's nothing wrong with wanting to stick up for one's own rights. You've said that you don't advocate for mandates, so that's a rights-based statement right there. If you're of the opinion that people *should* wear masks, and stop short of saying they *must* wear masks, that's fine. But then leave the "rights" mocking out of it because it is apparently a position you also hold, at least a little.
    No, I didn't mean it like that, but there are people looking for their fifteen minutes, going into stores phone in hand, just hoping for a confrontation.

The governor created the mandate, fight him, not the poor kid running the cash register at Starbucks.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No, I get it. In order for Jetta to be safe, everyone has to do exactly as he wants them to so he feels safe.

Also, only using Jetta because you did, this isn’t saying he demands people do as he says... just using the name given in the comment.
    In my opinion this isn't quite fair. The read I get is not that Jetta wants us to wear masks so he feels safe, I think he hopes to discover a hidden reservoir of human kindness in us all by encouraging us to do it because it is the nice thing to do. I really think when he looks at human nature he is an eternal optimist

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Faking ‘Science’ to Achieve Political Goals​

These same politicians and health officials are so desperate to make people believe in masks that they doctor charts to make their case, even when their own data actually undermines them. So what is the actual science behind masks? Let’s begin by reviewing the leading scientific studies.

The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine at Oxford University summarized six international studies which “showed that masks alone have no significant effect in interrupting the spread of ILI or influenza in the general population, nor in healthcare workers.” Oxford went on to say that “that despite two decades of pandemic preparedness, there is considerable uncertainty as to the value of wearing masks.” They prophetically warned that this has “left the field wide open for the play of opinions, radical views and political influence.”

A study of health-care workers in more than 1,600 hospitals showed that cloth masks only filtered out 3 percent of particles. An article in the New England Journal of Medicine stated, “[W]earing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection” and that “[T]he desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.”

There are many other credible studies showing lack of mask efficacy, such as studies published in the National Center for Biotechnology Information, Cambridge University Press, Oxford Clinical Infectious Diseases, and Influenza Journal, just to name a few.

Studies do show masks can help in the case of direct respiratory droplets, which would matter if somebody is coughing, breathing, or sneezing directly on your face. That happens normally in a tight and highly confined space.

But the plentiful evidence we have indicates masks would not meaningfully help with aerosol transmission, where two people are just in the same area, or even the same room. This is because the two people end up breathing the same air, with or without a mask, as visually demonstrated in this video.

I have also wondered, with the advent of double and triple masking, if masks that are already damp with breath might not trap the larger than aerosol exhalation droplets in that damp fabric, delay their drying out or fall to the ground, and then allow the 2x/3x mask wearer to actually create a virus laden aerosol on the inside of the mask by virtue of the higher negative pressure needed to actually breathe through the multiple layers

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think that may be more dependent on the person. I've tested my own blood oxygen with and without various masks. It's been awhile since I've run the tests, but I think it dropped about 7 or 8 points with one type of mask, and maybe only 2 or 3 points with another. The worst one was a neck gaiter, which seemed pretty breathable when I first got it, but after several washings, not so much. I'm wondering if the washer gets all the laundry soap out before it dries.
    Liquid detergent has long been discouraged for use in highly breathable fabrics because the detergent blocks the pores that create the breathability. A small amount of a powder works great, like Purex powder with much less affect on the fabric function.

Bonus laundry tip, socks wash inside out, that way it is easier to get dead skin cells washed away...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In my opinion this isn't quite fair. The read I get is not that Jetta wants us to wear masks so he feels safe, I think he hopes to discover a hidden reservoir of human kindness in us all by encouraging us to do it because it is the nice thing to do. I really think when he looks at human nature he is an eternal optimist
    Well... I hate to admit that a Buckeye can read me, but I did marry a Worthington girl, so...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We'll see.

Normally, I get over there for the OH state fair beer judging - they comp us two nights in a hotel so I don't have to stay with the in laws.
    Jackie O's is working on a renovation of an industrial space to open a brew pub here sometime this year to go with all the other good stuff we already have

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hey - why are calling out me? :dunno:

I've been consistent in stating (A) I don't agree with mandates, (B) I think they are effective, but (C) I'm not going to tell anyone they have to wear one.

For crying out loud, I'm at church every Sunday with with a partial congregation and almost no one (incl. myself) wears a mask.

I wear one at stores and places, and one when in meetings at work.

If you're in the store, and not wearing a mask, you won't even get a dirty look from me.

What I am against is the politicization and lack of grace from all sides.

And here's my opinion: You're not being a savior by yelling at people without their mask, and not being a patriot by refusing to wear one.
    Because you wanted to go to Boogaloo or whatever and if you are to be safe when you go to Timbuktoo then you wearing a mask won't protect you. Everyone else that goes to BumfukEgypt would have to wear masks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Jackie O's is working on a renovation of an industrial space to open a brew pub here sometime this year to go with all the other good stuff we already have
    Sweet! I love Chumnalunga (I know that can't be the right spelling)

... googling...

Oh?! They're buying Elevator? Well, that can't be bad. Elevator was good, but once Wolf Ridge and others opened up down there, they really started to look stale and boring. We only went there for cocktails.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Because you wanted to go to Boogaloo or whatever and if you are to be safe when you go to Timbuktoo then you wearing a mask won't protect you. Everyone else that goes to BumfukEgypt would have to wear masks.
    It's Bonnaroo! :p

And its a music festival in TN, filled with a bunch of dirty hippies; my friends convinced me to go. The planned lineup for last year was fantastic - but all I got was a ticket that carried over to 2021, and hopefully won't have to be carried over to 2022.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, Jetta - if you go to Boogaloo, do you have to make your mask out of a hawaiian shirt? :cool:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sweet! I love Chumnalunga (I know that can't be the right spelling)

... googling...

Oh?! They're buying Elevator? Well, that can't be bad. Elevator was good, but once Wolf Ridge and others opened up down there, they really started to look stale and boring. We only went there for cocktails.
    Chomolungma. Named after the actual, original Tibetan name for Mt Everest

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Recently, I have read that "shelter in place" to "bend the curve" and "open capacity" has played out as ********.

Now comes the dilemma...

Do I say, "Centralized state, you can go straight to Hell", or do I say, "Centralized state, you can go straight to Hell?

I'm willing to split the difference.

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I using different masks and face covering depending on what I'm doing.

They are not always respirators.

Keep in mind I (not being blessed with American freedom here) can go to jail (up to 6 months I think) for not wearing a mask.

Sometimes I do have to wear "face covering" just to stay legal.

If I go to the beach where I can stay 50 feet away from people I just wear a scarf, especially since it's freezing cold at the moment.

When I go get groceries, where I can stay several feet away from people, and talk to the cashier behind a glass, then I just wear a surgical mask most of the time.

When in close, to very close, contact to other people (also wearing masks) for long periods of time I will wear a FFP2 or FFP3 mask.

Never wearing a mask for any situation is as stupid as always wearing one even when it's not needed (folks alone in their cars).
    Yes, same here. I wear a mask (actually two) when I go to the clinic. Other than that I don't need one.
    I get groceries delivered or else I do pick up where they bring the groceries out and put them in the back of my truck.
    Everything else I order on line and have it delivered.
    I don't go to stores or inside other buildings much at all. I did go to the dentist once and had to wear a mask from their front door to my stall and then it had to come off of course.
    I do go to get gas and go to my son's place and to my cabin when it is warmer but I don't need a mask to do that stuff.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Well, it is. The Indiana general assembly duly gave the governor that authority via its constitutionally granted power to do so. Regardless of how foolishly unlimited it is, it's still what it is. Once a foolishly unlimited law is on the books, it's staying there. I dunno. At least until the governor does something the chamber-o-commerce Republican thinks is so foolish that they reign in his power.
    Do you think these mandates will pass the Supreme Court test? I don't consider it fully lawful until it does that. Some courts, like the 9th circus, say things are lawful when they really aren't.
    Actually I think it will pass the Supreme Court test as well because of the times we live in, although with some modifications and limitations.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom