• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Early on tried to get across that we either "crossed no man's land" and took our hits or we gave in. As a country, as a culture, as a civilization, we gave in.
    Nobody gets it. Not then, not now. The meow-men just can't.
    The male has been neutered completely. He no longer is allowed to carry his own package as his mom or spouse now has them. He gets them on occasion if he has been a good little girly man.

JasonCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2016
    West Lafayette
    My cousin, my brother and I are going here tomorrow in Florida. I’m hoping the website it out of date. Seems extreme for Florida which i thought was mostly open and we’ll be out at sea.
    dce0ca0eb6916ec9193daf6123af973c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Two UofL researchers say its pointless. If you've seen the myriad of side by side charts showing no real change between mask mandated areas and non mandated. It wasnt just a bunch of coincidences as pro-maskers have implied.

Conclusions Mask mandates and use are not associated with slower state-level COVID-19 spread during COVID-19 growth surges. Containment requires future research and implementation of existing efficacious strategies.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Two UofL researchers say its pointless. If you've seen the myriad of side by side charts showing no real change between mask mandated areas and non mandated. It wasnt just a bunch of coincidences as pro-maskers have implied.

Conclusions Mask mandates and use are not associated with slower state-level COVID-19 spread during COVID-19 growth surges. Containment requires future research and implementation of existing efficacious strategies.

I'm sure the usual suspects will be along shortly to tell you this is all bunk.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm sure the usual suspects will be along shortly to tell you this is all bunk.
    It hasn't been peer reviewed yet. I would not say it's bunk though. There's another study mentioned in the comments that this one seems to confirm. I was once in the yes, masks help, we should wear them camp. But having seen more of the studies coming out that tend to debunk that, I'm pretty much of the opinion that masks haven't had much impact on the number of people who got infected.

With this study, maybe it'll be rejected for good cause. Maybe it'll be rejected because reviewers are humans too, with biases and motives that might taint their reviews. But I suspect that the conclusions of the study are correct even if there was some flaw in their methodology.

My onpinion now is that masks (unless they're N95 worn properly) are useless in most situations. They're only good for stopping infections from droplets too large to get through the fibers. That's only one factor in how it spreads. And the larger droplets that can't get through masks aren't an issue except in limited situations.

They don't help much indoors in smaller rooms without much airflow. That's a situation where stopping the larger droplets would be effective at stopping that one factor. So classrooms, churches, other meeting situations where there's a lot of people but not a lot of airflow. But then masks only protect in that one factor. When the droplets are too small to be caught by the mask, it exposure time and viral load are also factors, and masks won't help much with that.

Masks are useless in most outdoor situations because in open air movement people don't have enough exposure and opportunity for enough viral load to become infected, and it's way less likely that someone will sneeze or cough enough viral load on you to get infected. Masks are useless in large stores for similar reasons to outdoors. They might help keep you from touching something an infected person touched and then you touching your own mouth/nose/eyes. But that's the primary benefit unless you're standing in line close to someone and they sneeze or cough on you.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If I hear of one more company CEO saying they're still requiring masks even for vaccinated people, because they're following the science, I think I should get to throw eggs at them. If they were following the science, depending on some circumstances, they'd not require masks for anyone.

Brimaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    Company I presently work at had a meeting this morning to tell us starting in June will be back in the office. Said people that are fully vaccinated can be in the building without a mask but anyone that is not will be required to have a mask on and social distance at all times. When in a meeting setting or lunch setting if you are vaccinated can sit anywhere and not be social distanced and not need a mask but anyone that is not vaccinated will need a mask and sit in the back and be social distanced from everyone.

I said if you are fully vaccinated then you are protected so there should not be any concerns and that this sounds like discrimination and that it is not right. Was told it is not discrimination but for your safety plus discrimination only affects people of color and not white people.

Then told besides this is only temporary until the emergency usage goes away and the FDA fully approves the vaccines then being vaccinated will be required for employment.

Just tired of all the BS and how everyone knows what is best for me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If I hear of one more company CEO saying they're still requiring masks even for vaccinated people, because they're following the science, I think I should get to throw eggs at them. If they were following the science, depending on some circumstances, they'd not require masks for anyone.
    "Follow the science" is now a mechanism used to shut down conversation. These days it basically translates to, "I'm going to continue pushing this false idea that science can be 'settled' because it allows me the most latitude to implement methods I deem to be remediation, but effectively allows me to control behavior."

It's been working for climate change, so it's been implemented by power grabbing COVID "experts" too.

Brimaster, it sounds like you should be polishing off your resume.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My onpinion now is that masks (unless they're N95 worn properly) are useless in most situations. They're only good for stopping infections from droplets too large to get through the fibers. That's only one factor in how it spreads. And the larger droplets that can't get through masks aren't an issue except in limited situations.

That has been my position all along. If just any old random piece of cloth worked to keep germs at bay, we wouldnt have mandated standards like N95.

If they had said at least "you need to wear a disposable N95 and nothing else is good enough" I could buy that.

just another example of the fallacy of "But we have to do SOMETHING! So we are doing something." actually helping.

For the past year Ive watched "anti masker conspiracy theorists" show these comparison charts that show (maybe prove?) the various acts of "doing something" isnt helping. Now, finally there are experts looking back at all that data in hindsight saying "maybe those kooks werent so crazy after all."

Seriously? It took them THIS long to recognize what some of us have been saying all along? SMH

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I can agree with everything, except what I bolded/italicized. I'll talk to just about anyone, maybe not about masks but... And maybe not about the yoga pants, well actual yoga pants I probably agree. Those leggings that people call "yoga pants", sometimes something should probably be said. When I can count the hairs on places that are generally covered, or I hear the fabric screaming in pain from a couple of blocks away...

They are projecting, they believe that they should and do (or at least want to) accost people for not wearing masks. And by extention they think those who do not wear masks feel the same about those who do.
    Well when I say "don't talk to people on the street" I really mean don't lecture them on your views, or explain them what they are doing wrong (when they obviously do something that doesn't affect you).

Of course you can be polite and talk to random people, make new friends.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mr Orwell. Paging mister Orwell to the white curtousy phone
    I dunno - the fact that it's being widely reported and debated certainly isn't Orwellian.

Is this data being used for one person in particular? Is this being used to restrict someone?

It maybe an invasion of privacy, but that seems like the extent of it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well when I say "don't talk to people on the street" I really mean don't lecture them on your views, or explain them what they are doing wrong (when they obviously do something that doesn't affect you).

Of course you can be polite and talk to random people, make new friends.
    That's what I figured you meant. I still stand by my "yoga pants" part though.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That has been my position all along. If just any old random piece of cloth worked to keep germs at bay, we wouldnt have mandated standards like N95.

If they had said at least "you need to wear a disposable N95 and nothing else is good enough" I could buy that.

just another example of the fallacy of "But we have to do SOMETHING! So we are doing something." actually helping.

For the past year Ive watched "anti masker conspiracy theorists" show these comparison charts that show (maybe prove?) the various acts of "doing something" isnt helping. Now, finally there are experts looking back at all that data in hindsight saying "maybe those kooks werent so crazy after all."

Seriously? It took them THIS long to recognize what some of us have been saying all along? SMH
    Earlier in this pandemic some folks were getting kinda desperate. Don’t just stand there, do something. I said sometimes “don’t just do something, stand there” is better. People overreacted and continued to overreact for over a year. And they’re still overreacting.

Top Bottom