• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to wonder if years of being told to eat less meat and drive a more efficient car etc have made me more likely to tell the 'wear a mask to protect others' people to FATWO

It's hard for me to tell, because FATWO is my response of choice to people telling me what to do anyway
    Crap. More googling.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Shockingly the Indiana General Assembly CAN do (go figure) something other than post pictures of guns and Constitutions. Apparently, and shockingly, they are attempting to claw back the power that they gave away. Huh.

I'll believe it when I see it. House leadership runs this state, and they're all-in with Holcomb.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Ok, a quick Google search does pull up the paper right away.

I did a very quick skim of the findings and nowhere that I could find was the topic of masking or facial coverings even mentioned. I also did a "Ctrl F" to search for the terms "mask, facial, covering & facial covering" and came up empty for all of them.

So it seems Fauci did co-author a paper that found a "majority of deaths in the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic likely resulted from secondary bacterial pneumonia caused by common upper respiratory-tract bacteria." But no where that I see does it attribute that respiratory-tract bacteria to the wearing of masks.

So one might argue that wearing paper surgical masks contributes to the build up and presence of respiratory-tract bacteria, but it also ignores the fact that we have antibiotics today to treat the bacterial infection that did not exist in 1919.

ETA: Apparently a Reuters article debunked this back in October. I get that it's Reuters, so I understand questioning the source of the fact check, but this one seems pretty straight forward and there are source links in the article.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ok, a quick Google search does pull up the paper right away.

I did a very quick skim of the findings and nowhere that I could find was the topic of masking or facial coverings even mentioned. I also did a "Ctrl F" to search for the terms "mask, facial, covering & facial covering" and came up empty for all of them.

So it seems Fauci did co-author a paper that found a "majority of deaths in the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic likely resulted from secondary bacterial pneumonia caused by common upper respiratory-tract bacteria." But no where that I see does it attribute that respiratory-tract bacteria to the wearing of masks.

So one might argue that wearing paper surgical masks contributes to the build up and presence of respiratory-tract bacteria, but it also ignores the fact that we have antibiotics today to treat the bacterial infection that did not exist in 1919.

ETA: Apparently a Reuters article debunked this back in October. I get that it's Reuters, so I understand questioning the source of the fact check, but this one seems pretty straight forward and there are source links in the article.

Not a surprising finding, bacterial pneumonia is the actual mechanism of death for a whole bunch of respiratory illnesses, particularly if antibiotics are not available. The air is full of common bacteria that aren't a problem until your ability to resist them is compromised.

Somebody probably took this paper, put it in a Yahtzee cup, shook it around with their own imagination and some other papers talking about how excessive mask use can create bacterial infection, and dumped it out into this truthy-sounding claim.

On my understanding of the history, the mask thing in 1918 had its epicenter in San Francisco. Most of the country never used them and thus could not die from using them. There may be grains of truth but the claim about Fauci and this paper is indeed demonstrably false and the claim about the 1918 flu appears to have little to no evidence.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I thought we agreed with the No Fake News protocol?
    I admit I didn't Google to check the information and maybe someone took some literary license with the paper. I just believed what I read just like people have been believing what Fauci has been selling even after reversing his position on masks. I submit the following as questions only :D
    it's Just.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Since I don't frequent lefty forums, do you think they have their own fact checkers or is the GWB started a secret KKK chapter and killed a guy still up and believed there?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom