• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    A flu shot is a no brainer for me. Do you guys quoting "60% ineffective" realize that not getting one is 100% ineffective? :laugh:

I've never had a flu shot, and even with my "100% ineffective" status, that has somehow carried me for many years without getting the flu. I must be literally inhuman. I take no pills, get no shots, rarely visit a doctor, and yet, somehow, mind-mindbogglingly, I haven't died; not even once.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    bwframe:

Are you in an "at risk" population...age-wise?

Are you around lots of people as you go about your daily life that are?

If it were me and I answered "yes" to either of those - I'd probably get the shot.

Right now, for me, I'm NOT in the age group that's most at risk, nor am I around anyone who is for any length of time (grocery store not withstanding)

However - my wife is a teacher and both of our kids are in a daycare. She generally gets the shot as it is provided by her employer. I've not gotten one in several years, but I may re-visit. I'm just shy of 37, yet I can tell that it takes me just a "bit" longer to recover from illness than it has in the past.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Worst bit of logic I've seen on INGO for awhile.

And how do you explain the fact that I haven't had the flu since 2006 and have never had the flu shot in that same time frame?

I have no idea, nor do I care. Some people are at a greater risk due to environment, health, age, etc... Many people get lucky. My point was that a 40% success rate is better than doing nothing and winging it. I just see irony in a sub-forum based on survival and disaster preparedness, where so many people refute science and decide to go cavalier with a known and very common killer. I don't blame someone if they're a low risk of it, but think it's silly when people create a conspiracy over it. If I remember right, the yearly death rate was around 36K. Filling the spare rooms full of spaghetti-o's, toilet paper, ammo, and MRE's is going to do little good if your health suffers.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Tell us about these ways to keep our immune system healthy!!!

I'm not claiming everything in this post that I disagree with is misinformation. But when people say things that are factually inaccurate or try to pass off opinion as fact, that is by definition misinformation.

I'm sure you're well aware of the multiple foods that weaken the immune system, and the foods that boost the immune system. For funsies I'll list some ways; From this article. Six easy, natural ways to boost your immune system for flu season - NaturalNews.com

1: Experts have long known that vitamin A plays a role in infection and maintaining mucosal surfaces by influencing certain subcategories of T cells and B cells and cytokines," says a Harvard Medical School publication, Harvard Health News. "Vitamin A deficiency is associated with impaired immunity and increased risk of infectious disease."

2: a study by the Department of Nutrition and Food Management at Oregon State University recently "found that when women increased their B6 intake from 1.5 milligrams to 2.1 milligrams, their white blood cell count increased by 35 percent."

3: "Vitamin B6 works along with other vitamins and micro-nutrients to support the protective activities being undertaken by the immune cells. Deficiency of essential vitamins such as B6 has been associated with suppression of the immunity function which predisposes individuals to infectious disorders."

Of course there are many more, I just chose this one article for fun. I'll also admit eating right may not be enough for some people, and I'm definitely not saying no one should take the flu shot. I do agree with you on opinion vs. fact. I don't believe people get the flu from a flu shot a few days afterward, or at all. The flu shot takes a week or two to work IIRC, and flu symptoms take a couple weeks to set in, so that's easily distinguished.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm sure you're well aware of the multiple foods that weaken the immune system, and the foods that boost the immune system. For funsies I'll list some ways; From this article. Six easy, natural ways to boost your immune system for flu season - NaturalNews.com

1: Experts have long known that vitamin A plays a role in infection and maintaining mucosal surfaces by influencing certain subcategories of T cells and B cells and cytokines," says a Harvard Medical School publication, Harvard Health News. "Vitamin A deficiency is associated with impaired immunity and increased risk of infectious disease."

2: a study by the Department of Nutrition and Food Management at Oregon State University recently "found that when women increased their B6 intake from 1.5 milligrams to 2.1 milligrams, their white blood cell count increased by 35 percent."

3: "Vitamin B6 works along with other vitamins and micro-nutrients to support the protective activities being undertaken by the immune cells. Deficiency of essential vitamins such as B6 has been associated with suppression of the immunity function which predisposes individuals to infectious disorders."

Of course there are many more, I just chose this one article for fun. I'll also admit eating right may not be enough for some people, and I'm definitely not saying no one should take the flu shot. I do agree with you on opinion vs. fact. I don't believe people get the flu from a flu shot a few days afterward, or at all. The flu shot takes a week or two to work IIRC, and flu symptoms take a couple weeks to set in, so that's easily distinguished.

We must have misunderstood each other because we seem to be (mostly) on the same page.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Filling the spare rooms full of spaghetti-o's, toilet paper, ammo, and MRE's is going to do little good if your health suffers.

A normal healthy adult is more likely to die from slipping on spilled spaghetti-o's than from the flu. What sense does it make to stick a needle in my arm, and inject something in me to try to prevent something that I would have very little chance of undue suffering from, and an infinitesimal chance of dying from (of the 36K who die from the flu, look up the percentage of those who are normal healthy adults).

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    A normal healthy adult is more likely to die from slipping on spilled spaghetti-o's than from the flu. What sense does it make to stick a needle in my arm, and inject something in me to try to prevent something that I would have very little chance of undue suffering from, and an infinitesimal chance of dying from (of the 36K who die from the flu, look up the percentage of those who are normal healthy adults).

I agree that a normal healthy adult would most likely be fine, as I said in my last post. Many folks are in a very low risk pool, and it is most likely an unwarranted safeguard against a very minimal threat. I work in a (as IUProf so elegantly put it :laugh:) "petri dish" and it's provided for free by my employer. For me, it's a no brainer. For others, maybe not. It's a personal decision, and I honestly couldn't care any less what they do. I just don't understand when people want to create a conspiracy (for lack of better term) over it. I read all the time where people are concerned over hypothetical apocalyptic scenarios and how they would deal with them (What kind of bugout bag should I buy, what kind of long gun to keep in a vehicle, OC > CC because I can draw faster, super volcanoes, pole shift, EMP's, what would you do in _______ scenario,.....) . But as we head into flu season within a region plagued by very harsh winters, they act as though a flu shot is ridiculous. IMO, taking measures at maintaining good health is probably the most important thing someone could do to help ensure their survival when faced with disaster. If your laid up with the flu and something terrible were to happen, you are going to be at a serious disadvantage. This is not something most folks are going to be concerned about, but it seems like it would resonate on a forum devoted to survival and disaster preparedness. Once again though, do whatever you want to do. It's a personal decision, none of my business, nor do I really care.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    As you can see by now... An argument can be made for every choice. Since you probably are not in the health care crowd and therefore are not being forced to submit to the vaccine you have options,, even split doses! Just weigh it out and go with your best guess. Consider; are you in a high risk group (age, ill, otherwise susceptible), high exposure, commonly get the flu or have household members who may be affected? Go from there.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    My wife is a frontline healthcare provider. She can, and often does, deal with people daily who have the flu. She has, on occasion, stripped down as she hit the laundry room on the way in the house and headed straight to the shower, after coming home from work. 2 years ago, my daughter got the flu. She missed the entire last week of school before Christmas break and was sick most of break. That's right, folks, she was sick for nearly 3 weeks over the holidays. Since then, everyone gets the shot. I've never had the flu, and never got the shot until last year, but I'm not taking the chance on getting someone else in my family sick, even if I never present symptoms.

If your resident medical professional says get the shot, get the shot.

I won't go into her wealth of knowledge (that keeps me up at night) on Ebola.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a regular quarterly checkup coming in early November. I'll get mine then if I don't at CVS first.

any chance that it'll be a lot less expensive at the drug store vs. at your doctor's office? Several years ago, I remember being shocked at how much a tetanus "booster" was. I know it's not the same thing from a supply/demand standpoint, but still!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    any chance that it'll be a lot less expensive at the drug store vs. at your doctor's office? Several years ago, I remember being shocked at how much a tetanus "booster" was. I know it's not the same thing from a supply/demand standpoint, but still!

My new insurance covers it!!

In the past, it was cheaper for me to get it at CVS or the county health dept. Now, I can choose!!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My new insurance covers it!!

In the past, it was cheaper for me to get it at CVS or the county health dept. Now, I can choose!!!

Last one I got was free at one of the prompt-care locations. Fourish years ago when the bird/swine something-or-other flu was a threat and the nation ran out of hand sanitizer?

What promted me then and my concern now is my exposure to my young grandchildren.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Got the shot a couple times years ago. Felt like crap for several days afterwards. Never did it again nor do I plan on it in the near future. I seldom get sick so I would rather take my chances.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Last one I got was free at one of the prompt-care locations. Fourish years ago when the bird/swine something-or-other flu was a threat and the nation ran out of hand sanitizer?

What promted me then and my concern now is my exposure to my young grandchildren.

My layman's opinion is that you should get it, as should they (and their mom).

Top Bottom