• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    The issue isn't making a profit, the issue is those that buy with the intent to resell quickly to make a profit. That is being in the firearms business and requires a FFL. So those that see a deal here, buy it with the intent of flipping it on gun broker are in violation of the law. Just like the folks at gun shows that have a table as a private collector, they buy guns from passing pedestrians and almost immediately put the guns up for sale. The ATF have been arresting those individuals.

There is surprisingly very llittle of that going on, however there are people that have had there EBR 's and AK 's for a while and have decided to cash out there INVESTMENT. I have several AK 's and AR 's that no longer fit my collection and I am selling them ( and yes for a nice profit) to fund other firearms that I want for my collection.

You call it price gouging, I call it letting the market dictate the price, the same principle your 401k operates on.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I agree, I hate stupid as well. I bought my brother a RRA AR15 for his birthday 5years ago now he wants to sale it so I told him I would buy it from him and he told me $1500. That was almost twice what I paid for it the first time. I didn't think my brother was that type of person but i guess I was wrong. So ya there are alot of stupid out there.
    That is shady...

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

In the aftermath of a crisis or natural disaster NEED increases exponentially as devastation has taken away our basics such as electricity, blankets, light, food, etc.

In the current "gun" event nothing has changed except DEMAND, based upon fear of something that hasn't even happened yet.

What amazes me is that gun owners can be some of the most macho men out there (women too) but cry like little babies when someone just mentions gun control and panic like there will be no tomorrow.

Get a grip!

Regards,

Doug

PS - Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas too:D

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I'm all for a free market, but I hate seeing gouging on INGO. I look at this site as more of a community, rather than Craigslist where everyone is strangers. For that reason, I haven't listed anything since prices have blew up. Just can't bring myself to take advantage of the stupid.

I agree. I wouldn't mind taking advantage of someone on Ebay or GB by listing something for auction and letting people drive the prices up themselves. If someone is willing to pay inflated price on here, it's their money. I myself will wait to se what the future brings, as far as new gun laws, before I sell off anything.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Some may call it gouging and some may call it profiteering. Some may call it acceptable behavior and some may not. I have lived over two thirds of my life in the south and Southerners have a very unique and descriptive term for it - "Carpetbaggers". No offense intended.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To All,

In the aftermath of a crisis or natural disaster NEED increases exponentially as devastation has taken away our basics such as electricity, blankets, light, food, etc.

In the current "gun" event nothing has changed except DEMAND, based upon fear of something that hasn't even happened yet.

What amazes me is that gun owners can be some of the most macho men out there (women too) but cry like little babies when someone just mentions gun control and panic like there will be no tomorrow.

Get a grip!

Regards,

Doug

PS - Oh yeah, and Merry Christmas too:D

Yup.

Merry Christmas to you sir.

CM

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would like to see you show me in any ATF rule the above statement is valid.

If you are selling guns at a profit, you are dealing arms regardless if its a private sale. That requires an FFL. It also becomes an IRS issue. I'm not saying black helicopters are going to be landing in your backyard full of armed men from misc alphabet agencies, but its something to keep in mind.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I think what gets me are the guy's that have been swooping up all the available AR's and putting them on line at highly inflated prices. I have seen these guy's in the LGS and there are a few in the classifieds as well. ..........

This /\

Beyond that this practice, I believe, will be bad for gun ownership in the long term.

I've been looking at a bunch of replies from people right here on INGO to validate this.
    High prices will result in restricting gun ownership.
    These people that have no interest in guns other than to make a profit.
    It's purely a speculative bubble.

"Man, I was just scraping my money together for my first AR.... I'm screwed now, the price just doubled." :(

It's been done before.
    NFA 1934 The $200 TAX was an attempt to price certain firearms out of the reach of most people. Back then it was big money.
    $200 now is not a really big deal, but it does still negatively affect ownership to this day.

I think it boils down to people needing a moment of introspection.
    Never let a crisis go to waste.
    Using a tragedy to push a political agenda vs. Using a tragedy to sell.
    Is there a difference?
    Who do you guys want to be?

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    If you are selling guns at a profit, you are dealing arms regardless if its a private sale. That requires an FFL. It also becomes an IRS issue. I'm not saying black helicopters are going to be landing in your backyard full of armed men from misc alphabet agencies, but its something to keep in mind.
    You are not required a FFL to sell any firearm from your personal collection, (you have heard of Gunbroker). The IRS is a whole different matter, (and we all know that everyone on this forum pays there full share of taxes). As for profitting, my dad bought a M1 carbine from the NRA in 1967, with shipping it cost $20.00 ( I have the paperwork) in 1998 I bought it from him for $300.00 ( a little better than a 1000% profit) and it was a bargin at that price. It is now north of $800.00, if my dad had kept it and sold it today that would be a 4000% profit over what he paid for it.

So I ask you is that gouging????

Remember that when someone is selling a pre-ban EBR or AK that they have been sitting on for close to 20 years and are asking double what they paid for it.

You don't have to buy it

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That is shady...

If I give someone a gift, I give it to them completely with no expectation of compensation or return. For example, if I give you an apple, I expect you would likely consume it. It is your property to do with as you wish.

If I ask to buy something from you, I expect to buy it at a price that reflects the current market conditions.

If you're asking your brother to sell you a rifle for what it was worth 5 years ago, what you are actually asking him for is for him to give you a $750 discount on the current market price. If I asked my brother to give me $750 (despite how nice my gifts to him have been in the past), I am almost 100% sure he would say no.

If you gave your brother the rifle with the intent that he would sell it to you for $750 less than the market value, then you never really "gave" it to him at all.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had an AR that I thought of selling for a while. Posted it as a WTT b/c I didn't want to "gouge" but wanted to be fair to myself too. Just made a deal to trade with another member later today. He seems happy and I feel happy. We both are getting things we want and no $$ is changing hands. All is well in my eyes. :twocents:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    To FFL or not to FFL

You are not required a FFL to sell any firearm from your personal collection, (you have heard of Gunbroker). The IRS is a whole different matter, (and we all know that everyone on this forum pays there full share of taxes). As for profitting, my dad bought a M1 carbine from the NRA in 1967, with shipping it cost $20.00 ( I have the paperwork) in 1998 I bought it from him for $300.00 ( a little better than a 1000% profit) and it was a bargin at that price. It is now north of $800.00, if my dad had kept it and sold it today that would be a 4000% profit over what he paid for it.

So I ask you is that gouging????

Remember that when someone is selling a pre-ban EBR or AK that they have been sitting on for close to 20 years and are asking double what they paid for it.

You don't have to buy it
    Believe the trigger time for "in the business" is selling in less than one year. You've seen it and I've seen people churning firearms. Do what ever you want. Even if you beat the rap you'll be financially ruined. Seem to remember someone on here gave up their FFL and had to wait a year to sell firearms booked out to themselves. Many years ago (25-30) the BATFE would go to gun shows and strongly suggest to anyone that had a table with guns on it to get an FFL.

balzack2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    South of Ft Wayne
    I feel as a like minded community we should be sure we keep our best foot forward in these times of tragedy and strive to lead by example to not take advantage of situation monetarily.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Over on SigForum the Mod(Parabellum) is erasing ads of people who are price-gouging. I've noticed a couple of things on here that I sold to a fellow Moderator over a year ago for less then what they just sold it for. Just my two pennies.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Some people are driven by greed. Just that simple.
    I must be a poor business man as I do not see it. If I gave you something it is out of sharing or compassion. For you (example) to attempt to jamb me if I ask to buy it back when you are obviously selling it.....Sucks.

How ya doing gator??

Lets go shooting when the weather breaks....yes

:yesway:
    yeah that.......some the ads in classifieds NOW?......these dudes are nuts.....hope they can get the price......I'd never pay it...even if had a semi trailer stack'd full'a $$. 2000,2200,2800.....?......:rolleyes: Hahahahahaha......GTF out'a here,LOL! :):

(FWIW......AR you put up right 'round T-give'n was best/fair'st deal in there I've ever SEEN in that section.....was gonna snatch it but.....hahaha.....did'n last long e'nuff,LOL!)

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    :yesway:
    yeah that.......some the ads in classifieds NOW?......these dudes are nuts.....hope they can get the price......I'd never pay it...even if had a semi trailer stack'd full'a $$. 2000,2200,2800.....?......:rolleyes: Hahahahahaha......GTF out'a here,LOL! :):

(FWIW......AR you put up right 'round T-give'n was best/fair'st deal in there I've ever SEEN in that section.....was gonna snatch it but.....hahaha.....did'n last long e'nuff,LOL!)

You hit the nail on the head. "...even if had a semi trailer stack'd full'a $$."
    I would bet most of the purchases are being made with a credit card by people who really can not afford the purchaser in the first place. If all the Gun Broker transactions required a stack of cash as payment, things would slow down and even out.:twocents:

Top Bottom