• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 357Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Is it just me or are other people tired of being overheated because they need to keep a jacket on, or look a bit under dressed because they have their shirt untucked? I seems it would be alot easier to just open carry. Since I have NEVER been in a place where the bad guy shot the person oc'ing, then robbed the place I feel a bit safe in the knowledge that I will most likely die of old age and not meet my end at the end of a robber's barrel. The "bad guy will know to shoot you first because you open carry" seems a bit farfetched to me, but that is my humble opinion. I would think he may just be smart enough to rob someplace else instead of add a murder charge to his day. Just my :twocents:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . .Since I have NEVER been in a place where the bad guy shot the person oc'ing, then robbed the place . . . The "bad guy will know to shoot you first because you open carry"
    There is no FBI crime data that shows that any civilian has ever been shot in that way in any state for as long as records have been kept.

Its an urban myth and internet paranoia. So it boils down to the fact that your humble opinion is actually more correct than all the BS about good guys being shot for OC.

OC is comfortable.

But if you are not confident with OC then you may want to look at the CROSSBREED Super Tuck holster.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Is it just me or are other people tired of being overheated because they need to keep a jacket on, or look a bit under dressed because they have their shirt untucked? I seems it would be alot easier to just open carry. Since I have NEVER been in a place where the bad guy shot the person oc'ing, then robbed the place I feel a bit safe in the knowledge that I will most likely die of old age and not meet my end at the end of a robber's barrel. The "bad guy will know to shoot you first because you open carry" seems a bit farfetched to me, but that is my humble opinion. I would think he may just be smart enough to rob someplace else instead of add a murder charge to his day. Just my :twocents:
    This has been beat to death and argued back and forth on here, I will just say to "each his own"

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Tonight I took out my new G19 in my Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB. As comfortable as that holster is, it would be more comfortable for me to OC. There are several reasons I do not OC, but I think it would be more comfortable for me.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is it just me or are other people tired of being overheated because they need to keep a jacket on, or look a bit under dressed because they have their shirt untucked?

There are plenty of ways to conceal without having to do either of the above.

I seems it would be alot easier to just open carry.

Do what you want; we have the luxury of being able to legally carry open or concealed in this state. Just don't expect everyone to see eye to eye with you on the issue.

Since I have NEVER been in a place where the bad guy shot the person oc'ing, then robbed the place

Have you ever been in a place that was robbed, period? Was anyone in there carrying openly at the time?

I feel a bit safe in the knowledge that I will most likely die of old age and not meet my end at the end of a robber's barrel.

Odds are, you will die of old age never having met a "badguy" at all. So why even carry a gun in the first place?

The "bad guy will know to shoot you first because you open carry" seems a bit farfetched to me,

Maybe, but why chance it? Hope for the best, assume the worst. There's also the issue of having to constantly worry about protecting/retaining the gun in crowds, etc.

But to be honest, the reasons I tend to carry concealed are more practical (i.e. dumbasses calling the cops about a "man with a gun," kids asking me if I'm in the Army or a police officer, and those pesky "no weapons" signs in places that I might need to do business) than tactical.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I am about 5'10" 150, so not real big, but I can cc a full size 1911 and my XDm. my daily dress is a shirt and tie, never ben spotted. and very dressy.

If dressing around the gun really bothers you, get a snubby or mousegun and pocket carry. It's better than nothing....

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    There is no FBI crime data that shows that any civilian has ever been shot in that way in any state for as long as records have been kept.

Its an urban myth and internet paranoia. So it boils down to the fact that your humble opinion is actually more correct than all the BS about good guys being shot for OC.

OC is comfortable.

But if you are not confident with OC then you may want to look at the CROSSBREED Super Tuck holster.
    O.K, not that I will decide my carry preference by FBI crime data, but I do want to be as informed as possible, does the FBI actually keep this statistic(being shot by robber for OCing) and if so where can I find these stats? And assuming they do keep these statistics one would have to wonder if all bad guys told the truth to law enforcement if and when he was caught, meaning he admitted that he shot a person for OCing! Would these stats be accurate? Now for me it does not matter as I have several reasons for my choice of carry, but it seems these post always go in a certain direction and INFORMATION is key for us all!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    With the MTAC, I can conceal with a tucked shirt. No jacked needed. No problem. That being said, I have carried with the MTAC with nothing covering the top. Mainly when coming back from the range. It depends where I am.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    With the MTAC, I can conceal with a tucked shirt. No jacked needed. No problem. That being said, I have carried with the MTAC with nothing covering the top. Mainly when coming back from the range. It depends where I am.

I'm too fat to conceal with a tucked shirt and my MTAC. With warmer weather on its way, I'll be pocket carrying my Kahr PM9 a lot more.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    O.K, not that I will decide my carry preference by FBI crime data, but I do want to be as informed as possible, does the FBI actually keep this statistic(being shot by robber for OCing) and if so where can I find these stats? And assuming they do keep these statistics one would have to wonder if all bad guys told the truth to law enforcement if and when he was caught, meaning he admitted that he shot a person for OCing! Would these stats be accurate? Now for me it does not matter as I have several reasons for my choice of carry, but it seems these post always go in a certain direction and INFORMATION is key for us all!
    Its been reported in the press (gun media) that no civilian, while doing OC, has ever been shot during a robbery attempt. Its also been reported that 2 FBI agents were shot under similar circumstances at a bank.

As to record keeping and the bad guy telling the truth, realize it makes no difference if the bad guy lies or not . . . if a civilian had been shot while OC then he'd be laying in a pool of blood at the scene.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Its been reported in the press (gun media) that no civilian, while doing OC, has ever been shot during a robbery attempt. Its also been reported that 2 FBI agents were shot under similar circumstances at a bank.

As to record keeping and the bad guy telling the truth, realize it makes no difference if the bad guy lies or not . . . if a civilian had been shot while OC then he'd be laying in a pool of blood at the scene.
    Oh, no FACTS then?

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian

I do not OC, but I do think it is an intriguing discussion of OC vs CC. There is no way to measure the hypothetical "deterrent" effect of OC vs the hypothetical "target of opportunity" effect of OC. IMHO the deterrent effect is probably more likely to be the case as well as the chance that the average criminal won't even notice your sidearm. It really comes down to personal preference.

If you don't mind being hassled by local LEO (happens occasionally - I've seen examples on THIS forum) or getting stares from the soccer moms, then OC is a very viable option. I also feel that one should be comfortable with a level of weapon retention for no more reason than a toddler or drunk idiot could try to take your sidearm.

I occasionally spend time over at OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!. I do not contribute much over there, but I do like to see the pros and cons of each method of carry. I would recommend you check it out as they address common OC concerns/issues.

Good luck with your decision.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

OC is comfortable.

...or it's just common sense.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

So if you feel better with a gun belt over your tux, go for it. I'm OK with it.

What is it about you guys if you are so convinced you are right on the topic, why do you constantly need the group therapy?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I primarily have OC'd for at least the last 15 years, mainly because it is so much more comfortable. I do CC occasionally, as a social situation will dictate the need for. I have yet to have any one shoot me for it. I just don't understand the irrational thoughts that say if you OC the bad guy will shoot you or they will just walk up and take your weapon from you.

OC if you want, CC if you want, who cares. Just don't infringe on the way I choose to carry.

357Fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008

What is it about you guys if you are so convinced you are right on the topic, why do you constantly need the group therapy?

Welcome to the half aware replies we see so often in here. Did you really think I was discussing how uncomfortable I was while in a TUX??? My shoulder holster fits just fine under my jacket and, in a situation where I am in a tux, I am by definition wearing a jacket.

I am concerned with your "group therapy" statement. You do realize this is a Forum, right, you know, where people gather to discuss things?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    ...or it's just common sense.

"Common sense" is often just a way of saying "agreeing with one's own prejudices" and often has no bearing whatsoever on reality.

If it's such "common sense" then why can't anyone point to a single case of a civilian shot by the BG while open carrying? Not one.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

If discussing issues bothers you (as suggested by your "group therapy" comment) then why are you participating in a forum where people, you know, discuss things?

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    not_this_shit_again.jpg

Top Bottom