• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    To derail the slapfight getting started a bit, do you all who cc, carry stainless (or non-ferrous) firearms? If not, do you wipe your firearm down a couple of times a day? How do you keep the body salts from starting surface rust? I used to cc with a couple of IWB holsters, and I noticed two things: the gun poked me a bunch, and it had visible rust on it by lunch (summertime. I didn't notice the rust until late in the day in winter time). And yes, I sweat. A lot.

I sure like the idea of a "tuckable" holster, but so far, I don't like how loose I have to wear my jeans or trousers just to get an IWB to be comfortable, let alone tuck a shirt in around it as well. Right now I use a Minotaur OWB, and a vest (canvas, wool, or leather, depending on the season) to sorta conceal the holster, but I'm still trying to come to grips with the loose britches and the rusty gun.

Last edited:

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    If discussing issues bothers you (as suggested by your "group therapy" comment) then why are you participating in a forum where people, you know, discuss things?

:+1: Thank you "ignore user" feature.

El Cazador: Stainless, parkerized, or blued guns ought to be able to resist your perspiration (stainless obviously, park/blue if it is not worn through). I honestly do not sweat much onto my firearm, but I think if surface rust were a severe problem, I would strongly consider a duracoat or similar.

I do not tuck around my holster, but with a lot of trial and error I have been able to make adjustments to the location and cant that keep it very comfortable throughout the day. It also very important that you have a heavy duty gun belt for IWB carry. This will go a long way toward keeping your pants and firearm in the correct location.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    How do you keep the body salts from starting surface rust?
    I find that wearing underwear and a t-shirt help.... :): Seriously...if you're wearing an IWB commando....that has to be uncomfortable!!!!

I don't have a problem with people that OC. I simply prefer to CC 90% of the time outside of work. And you are correct. I can find no data that states that a civilian was ever shot while OC'ing during a robbery. I could also find no data to support that they weren't. :dunno:

Personally, I do know that if I'm ever willing to risk 25 years in prison for robbing a bank, the first thing I would do when I walked in the front door if scan for anyone carrying a weapon. And they will be the first ones that get it rather than me going to prison.

When I'm out and about I generally scan where I am to see if anyone is OC'ing anyway. Then I generally stay away from that person....in case they get it first. That gives me the option of (1), not getting hit by a stray shot intended for the OC'ing individual and (2), more time to react while the crook is focusing on the guy with the visible gun.

But in the end, OC or CC is a personal preference. I won't fault anyone for having their own feelings on the subject. Just don't fault me for mine. :)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    There are plenty of ways to conceal without having to do either of the above.

Do what you want; we have the luxury of being able to legally carry open or concealed in this state. Just don't expect everyone to see eye to eye with you on the issue.

Have you ever been in a place that was robbed, period? Was anyone in there carrying openly at the time?

Odds are, you will die of old age never having met a "badguy" at all. So why even carry a gun in the first place?

Maybe, but why chance it? Hope for the best, assume the worst. There's also the issue of having to constantly worry about protecting/retaining the gun in crowds, etc.

But to be honest, the reasons I tend to carry concealed are more practical (i.e. dumbasses calling the cops about a "man with a gun," kids asking me if I'm in the Army or a police officer, and those pesky "no weapons" signs in places that I might need to do business) than tactical.

:rockwoot:+1

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Is it just me or are other people tired of being overheated because they need to keep a jacket on, or look a bit under dressed because they have their shirt untucked?

No need, just a choice.

I seems it would be alot easier to just open carry.

It is.

I would think he may just be smart enough to rob someplace else instead of add a murder charge to his day. Just my :twocents:

You would make a wise criminal.:):

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Feel free to prove OC wrong. You will not find any facts to support that civilians have been shot for OC because they don't exist. The burden of proof is on you folks who make the claim that OC is dangerous.

Why is there any burden of proof of ANY thing on me? For one, I don't care if you believe it. For the other it's all the better for me if you OC every where. If there's a dozen of you packing hog legs, it's all the more chances I'll get to put a bullet in the back of their head some time along the line while they are dealing with the obvious threats.

If yer gonna fish, some one has to be the bait. Fine with me if you want to do it.

Don't have any links to back it up but this is my own bad guy death list:
    Bad guy closest to me dies first.
    Any bad guy carrying a shot gun or rifle get's it next.
    If he's closest to me I pick up his shot gun or rifle given the chance.
    and bad guys with pistols last.

First gun shot and all bets are off. Who ever appears to be shooting at me or going to shoot at me, I shoot them first given the chance.

That's mine. Feel free to make up your own. I hope the bad guys follow your advice and all come in with their guns in the open so I can pick out the threats faster.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Inovate and adapt, then keep yer head down.

When I'm in your "back yard" I'm copying what's kept you alive until I have reason to do different.

Right now, I'm in my own "back yard".

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Why is there any burden of proof of ANY thing on me? For one, I don't care if you believe it. For the other it's all the better for me if you OC every where. If there's a dozen of you packing hog legs, it's all the more chances I'll get to put a bullet in the back of their head some time along the line while they are dealing with the obvious threats.

As one of the ones making the claim that folk who open carry will be targeted first, it is incumbent on you to back up the claim. That's how debate works: the people making the claim have to back it up. And yet nobody has been able to present a single case of a citizen open carrying being "shot first." Not one.

It's not "common sense." It's pure fantasy, speculation without a shred of evidence to support it.

If yer gonna fish, some one has to be the bait. Fine with me if you want to do it.

Bait, huh? So where are the bodies of these people being "shot first"? There seems to be a decided lack of this "bait" being taken.

Don't have any links to back it up but this is my own bad guy death list:
    Bad guy closest to me dies first.
    Any bad guy carrying a shot gun or rifle get's it next.
    If he's closest to me I pick up his shot gun or rifle given the chance.
    and bad guys with pistols last.

Difference between a BG starting things and someone defending themselves and others is the BG can decide "not this time" and not start things.

These elaborate plans where the crime must happen at a certain place and time are a hollywood creation. For the most place the option of "not today, but tomorrow" and "not this place, but the one up the street" are completely available to the BG.

First gun shot and all bets are off. Who ever appears to be shooting at me or going to shoot at me, I shoot them first given the chance.

That's mine. Feel free to make up your own. I hope the bad guys follow your advice and all come in with their guns in the open so I can pick out the threats faster.

Personally, I'd prefer that the BG's decide to go elsewhere, and to have reason to go elsewhere enough that they decide to pick up a new line of work.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    So if you feel better with a gun belt over your tux, go for it. I'm OK with it.

What is it about you guys if you are so convinced you are right on the topic, why do you constantly need the group therapy?

Exactly, you dont need our approval.

It is a forum, you do realize there is a search function dont you?

This topic never dies.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Exactly, you dont need our approval.

It is a forum, you do realize there is a search function dont you?

This topic never dies.

It's a forum. You realize that people participate in forums for the express purpose of discussing things, don't you?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    You mean there are people who believe that, all other things being equal, having more bullets isn't better?? :dunno:

But when are all other things actually equal? About the only time they would be is if, say, I loaded 4 rounds into the 1911 instead of 8, or 10 into the CZ75 instead of 16.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    i wear my pistol in a thigh holster, and people try to kill me all the time. im thinking i should start ccing.

I tried your "warrior path" this evening in Bloomington. Where do ya put yer AR when you are in Applebees? I hung the sling over the back of the chair and it slid off. The waitress tripped over it sending my baby back ribs all over some chinese college kids at the next table. They started getting pretty pissy about it, doing all that kung fu crap and flipping sauce every where. No biggy though, you are right about that OC calming things down in a hurry. They scattered pretty quick when they saw I was strapped. Not the service Berretta, I had a Glock. It fits in the same thigh holster ya know and shoots the man's ammo. Full POWER 10mm, not that wimpy 40Short and Wimpy.

By the time I was done wiping the slaw off my AR there was plenty of room and I just laid it on the seat. Every thing was pretty quiet after that. I'm sure the terrorist, zombies, and thieves all moved on to Target when they saw I was packing heat. Strike up another one for OC.

I think you guys are on to something here.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom