Time Travel - Change ONE Event In History..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Hmmmmm. Interesting question. Probably something to do with the bickering that took place in Constitutional Conventions. Owing to the sheer number of tragedies resulting from its ugly existence, I concur with the suggestion that slavery be excluded from our nation at the outset. I would be too afraid of the ripple effect bringing about far worse ramifications by changing anything else. Who knows who or what will fill the void that comes from removing this or that from history?

A couple of "what if"s which I've often pondered:

What if Mussolini and Hitler had never formed the Rome-Berlin axis, and Italy had remained "neutral" (ala Franco's Spain)?

What if Hitler had not declared war on the United States following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor?

:dunno:

If you like this kind of brainiac stuff, there are a couple of books that explore these kinds of questions. Not surprisingly, the first is called What If. The second is like a second volume (same title) that tackles more questions. Good reads if you're okay with unmitigated conjecture. :):

Specifically demonstrate the effects of Marbury v. Madison, and the court's grabbing of the power of review.

Threadjack warning: and without it, what keeps the Executive or Legislative branches in check? Reliance on their own good will? Isn't that the criticism Jefferson had of Marshall's decision?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    johnunclebob.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Very true. Very true.

Of course, my really important question is if the Frank Fehr Brewing Company of Louisville, Kentucky had not gone out of business, would I be a devotee of Leinenkugel's Classic Amber today? That's the important question.

I have to say it is. To change the major events all of these good folks with good intentions are describing would so drastically alter the present that I would just leave it alone.

I have often thought and wished I could have avoided the situation that got me entangled with the first X (mentioned in the other time travel thread) but the reality of this......We are all the sum total of all of our experiences and paths traveled. To have taken a turn of the path at any point would change everything from that point on. I am sitting right here, right now because of the path I traveled. I am in a good relationship with great kids and a fair life. Had I avoided that situation I mentioned, where the hell would I be. I do know I would have been on a boat headed for the Nam. Be careful what you wish for.

My attempts at change are focused on the future.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Threadjack warning: and without it, what keeps the Executive or Legislative branches in check? Reliance on their own good will? Isn't that the criticism Jefferson had of Marshall's decision?

Threadjack warning secondary addendum: After Marbury, what has kept the court in check?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Paradox.

If you change the past, then there was no need to change it, therefore it was never changed, therefore you needed to change it...... etc.
    Also, what if the "fabric of time" is flexible?
    Meaning...
    What if you killed Hitler, and someone else took his place?
    Major events would still happen.
    Minor events (to humanity) would change.

Just a sci-fi I read.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Rewrite the 2A

''The right of the citizens of the United states to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.''

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And introduce a typo?

@ actaceon277:
    I'm a proponent of the multiverse theory. There is no such thing as a temporal paradox. You go back in time, you are instantly in a new timeline that diverged from the one you actually experienced by virtue of the fact that you were there then. You kill your own grandfather, and nothing changes for you. Maybe prison. You will continue to live in the new timeline, having never been born. If you move back forward in time, you can only move forward in your new timeline. Even if you move back forward to the time and place where you left, it will not be the same time and place that you left. It'll be a new time and place that was exactly like that time and place would be with the difference that way back when, someone killed your grandfather before your father was born and all of the ramifications thereof. If you pick a place to return to that was independent of those ramifications, it'll look and be substantially identical. If you pick your dad's farm, it's liable to be substantially different.

*BREATHE!*

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'd make Montcalm wait another sixty minutes before attacking until Bougainville made it to the Plains of Abraham, so the French could crush Wolfe at Quebec. That or just drown Wolfe in the St. Lawrence River before things got started.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Go back to last NFL season, and tell the Packers to actually show up in the playoff game with the Giants....................

I know how you feel but my regret goes back further in time.Thank you OP for giving me this opportunity, I was just thinking about this very subject two days ago. Many would and have described serious world events to alter.

For me it would be the perverse event known as Super Bowl XVIII where the Washington Redskins lost to the known evil Oakland Raiders 38 to 9. I am still sick over it and that was after the 1983 season. The Redskins had the highest scoring offense in NFL history that season and they went 14-2 including a comeback victory against the Raiders in which the Redskins scored 17 points in 7 minutes, then they were destroyed in this perverse Super Bowl. If I could go back I would give all my wisdom on football to coach Joe Gibbs and see to that this was turned around to be what it should have been.

I guess saving millions of lives has it merits too.

Top Bottom