• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Today I paid $50 for a carton of Camel lights; I'm done. There are much better things in life to spend that kind of money on. Especially in these hard times it is stupid for me to waste money like that. Wish me luck.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well the non-smokers and anti-smokers are counting on you continuing to smoke so you can pay the massive taxes and fund the programs that they don't want to pay for. I hate to say that tobacco taxes are all 'smoke and mirrors' but that is what they are. The anti-crowd funds all sorts of do-gooder programs with those tobacco taxes, if revenues ultimately go down because people quit smoking then all the non-smokers will end up paying the bills for the programs they wanted you to fund.

The reality is that almost NO tobacco tax dollars are used to fund smoker related activities, at least as a % of the tax $$$$$$$$$$$$ collected.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Today I paid $50 for a carton of Camel lights; I'm done. There are much better things in life to spend that kind of money on. Especially in these hard times it is stupid for me to waste money like that. Wish me luck.

Good luck.

I'm told that saving your last box/pack, once it is empty, and cutting drinking straws to cigarette length helps. No nicotine, but it's something to do with your hands instead of lighting and holding a smoke. I'm also told that tic-tacs work as "something to do" and they do the whole breath-mint thing at the same time. Tie those together with the nicoderm patches and you may just kick it for good.

Again, good luck.

Blessings,
    Bill

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Good luck!

It has been 18 months since I have quit and I do not miss it one bit. If the cold turkey route does not work try Chantix. I only took a month of it as it is expensive but it was enough to help me get started.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I quit cold turkey just before I started dating my wife. (7yrs now). The cravings never go away. The cravings are at their worst after a big meal, or sitting down with a cold beer or cup of coffee. I don't regret it one bit. You don't realize how nasty and how bad those things are until you quit. However, I do like to light up the occasional cigar once in a while. I wish you the best of luck. Take it one day at a time and you'll do fine!! :yesway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Good luck!

I heard about how much money you could save by quitting, so I took up smoking for an afternoon just so I could quit. I didn't save as much money as I was lead to believe.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Good luck!

I quit cold turkey almost a year ago. Rough! Explain to your spouse, family, friends, and co-workers what you are doing. It hurts and it is rough but it can be done. :)

Oh and I do not no when you actually quit wanting a smoke. I am so wanting one even today!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Coming up on April 24th, I will have quit SIX years ago.... cold turkey, after smoking for 17 years. I was a 2-3 pack a day Marlboro Red man.

If I can do it, you can do it. It's hard, damn hard, but you can do it.

It's all will power.

The habit smokes are the hardest. After eating, in the can, all those little hobby smokes. After that, it's just a matter of time.

EMC0853

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I quit cold turkey about 18 years ago. I had about one week of physical withdraw which was hard, but it really did get easier faster. The cravings stopped for me after about a year. You have to be committed to stopping. It's a tough addiction to break. Best of luck.

Stopping not only will save you money, I hear there may be potential medical advantages as well.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I tried to quit around this time last year cold turkey. I was doing really well until work threw a bunch of stuff at me and I really, really wanted to hurt someone. Punched a few things while I was at it but never anyone. Had I stayed smoke free April 12 would've been the 1 year mark. Scutter, last year I figured the numbers to over $1300 for me. Now with the increase on smokes...

Ranger Rick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    In GOD'S country
    I quit in '02 cold turkey..smartest thing I've done! I've got a friend that smoked 30+ years, had throat cancer last year, chemo/radiation..can hardly talk and has to use food tube, now he has lung cancer!!!! He knows now but its to late! You can do it!! Just look at all the money you'll have for guns and ammuition....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Good god, talk about a time to quit. $5+ per pack is insane. To think that I've "stopped" a few times since they jumped above the $3 mark. I have a bad feeling things are gonna be alot harder this time around...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i quit smoking about a year ago and it was pretty easy. i still smoke about a pack every couple months. although i think the fact that i chew a can a day starting the day i quit smoking helped.:D but the nice thing is it cost me about 60$ a month to chew and if i smoked it would cost about 150.

bouncerclub

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    If its any help Chantix worked really well for me. And i actually kinda enjoyed the strange dreams that I had while on it. (common symptom not scary or anything just strange) I did it strictly to save the money and really chantix wasn't any more money than the cigs but i didn't have the urge to keep buying chantix.:)

Top Bottom