• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Well, if the Trace (whatever that is) carries an article about it, then everything that Knox has to say about NRA finances is suspect?? Just trying to follow your line of logic here...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Trace is one of Bloomberg's progeny along with Demanding Mommies who need some action and Every town for gun confiscation.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Trace is one of Bloomberg's progeny along with Demanding Mommies who need some action and Every town for gun confiscation.

Ok, but did you read the article? was it misleading or inaccurate? Did you read the other articles linked that discussed the NRA's financial troubles? Attacking the messenger is not only intellectually lazy, it shows an inability to logically discuss the topic at hand.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ok, but did you read the article? was it misleading or inaccurate? Did you read the other articles linked that discussed the NRA's financial troubles? Attacking the messenger is not only intellectually lazy, it shows an inability to logically discuss the topic at hand.

The NRA can take care of itself. As you know, they pocket money so they are literally millionaires. A couple more payouts aren't going to hurt them at all. :):

Really, what's there to read? :dunno:
    Someone doesn't like them.... so...

Just say no when they call for more donations. And they WILL call. That's one way they make those millions.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The NRA can take care of itself. As you know, they pocket money so they are literally millionaires. A couple more payouts aren't going to hurt them at all. :):

Really, what's there to read? :dunno:
    Someone doesn't like them.... so...

Just say no when they call for more donations. And they WILL call. That's one way they make those millions.

To your last part. I've been an Nra member for 20+ years. Not once have i ever recieved a call. A few emails per month, yes. But even then its maybe 1 or 2 a month, and generally are specific to a certain bill thats coming up for vote. Not what id call excessive by any means.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I do not get any requests for money from the NRA, one call many years ago stopped everything except ILA alerts.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Once i returned to them all my disagreements with them regarding the anti gun politicians and legislation they were promoting, they stopped sending me postage paid envelopes.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The bashing gets old after awhile. My last post was completely PURPLE.

....except for the calls.
    I'm on their radar because I've upgraded my account and I'm paying payments on all my daughters life accounts plus donating in between for different causes on and off so I welcome the calls and I get them in clusters. I tell them right away that I have no more to give and if they want to take a small break to talk to me that's fine. I'm also that guy who answers the door to talk to religious solicitors. As long as they know in advance that I won't be swayed in any way, they are then free to practice their arguments on me. It's fun.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    And I as thought there is only three branches of the Federal Government, And the NRA isn't part of the Judicial Branch.

If you honestly don't believe that lobbiests can influence legislation, then why are you urging people to donate to the NRA so that their lobby can influence legislation? You can't have it both ways.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If you honestly don't believe that lobbiests can influence legislation, then why are you urging people to donate to the NRA so that their lobby can influence legislation? You can't have it both ways.

First you can quote my post where I urged people to donate to the NRA, then we can talk... I'll wait.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The bashing gets old after awhile. My last post was completely PURPLE.

....except for the calls.
    I'm on their radar because I've upgraded my account and I'm paying payments on all my daughters life accounts plus donating in between for different causes on and off so I welcome the calls and I get them in clusters. I tell them right away that I have no more to give and if they want to take a small break to talk to me that's fine. I'm also that guy who answers the door to talk to religious solicitors. As long as they know in advance that I won't be swayed in any way, they are then free to practice their arguments on me. It's fun.

I think it’s good to resolve what is legitimate criticism and what is just bashing. Legitimate criticisms should be dealt with. Dig in. Find out if these things are true. Then fix it. That’s how we make things better. It’s almost as if you think those who identify things that may need to be fixed within the NRA are trying to destroy it. It appears likely that there is a bit of scandal going on in the upper levels of the NRA. THAT could be the ruin. Not getting to the bottom of it and rooting out wrongdoers is potentially far more damaging than trying to figure out if there could be truth behind the allegations.

“They’re trying to take our guns.” Is essentially how LaPierre responded to the call for an investigation by the board. That is not a legitimate defense of the allegations. Yes. They’re trying to take our guns. We already know this. LaPierre is deflecting rather than trying to get to the bottom of it. If you have nothing to hide, why act like you’re hiding something? Dig into it. If you’re being accused of wrongdoing prove them wrong. Don’t deflect.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    BTW, agreed on religious solicitors. Some Jehovah’s witnesses came around a couple of years ago, started talking about the origins. I just said, I dunno. I wasn’t there at the time to verify if what they’re saying is true. It could be that way. But why believe it had to be their way, when there are other theories about origins, which don’t require me to believe in prophets? I didn’t think that was all that evocative, but they packed up and left.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...ierre-and-other-officers-elected-unanimously/

It seems the current NRA administration is determined to prevent the draining of the swamp and is entrenching the swamp even deeper.

Unanimously??? Really??? Ever notice the only elections that have 90% approval or more are usually rigged? A lot of communist countries have high approval number elections. That was surly on the up and up....right?!?!?! The NRA is not communist! But corrupt beyond redemption...well...the evidence seems to be piling up over time.

I have lost count of those who have said we can't give up on this cancer patient. But at this point I believe it is misguided to think you can save a patient when there is now more cancer than patient left.

It is becoming more evident by the month that the NRA has abandoned the 2nd amendment for cold hard cash. IMHO (it's worth what you paid for it) it's time for 2nd amendment supporters to choose another organization. One that is focused on using whatever weapons they can to defend our right to own and carry arms. They need to find one of the other pro 2nd amendment organizations out there to donate and support in person both nationally and locally.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This thread changed tone since I was here last... If corrupt business practices come to light, the supporters of the nra in .Gov positions will abandon ship. I'm not sure an organization should be both legislative/lobby and a trade organization.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I have given money in the past to the NRA, but those days are now gone. I now only support organizations that truly fight for the the 2A, like GOA.

I used to give money to the NRA because I naively believed that they were a real 2A supporting organization, but it you look at recent events and their history over the last 100 years, you realize that they are not what they seem to be.

Here is what the NRA really is:

President Franklin Roosevelt decided to make gun control a feature of his New Deal. The NRA assisted Roosevelt in drafting the 1934 National Firearms Act and the 1938 Gun Control Act, which were the very first federal gun control laws. Karl T. Frederick, the president of the NRA at that time, testified before Congress stating, “I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses.”

In the early 1960s, NRA Executive Vice-President Franklin Orth agreed at a congressional hearing that mail-order sales should be banned stating, “We do think that any sane American, who calls himself an American, can object to placing into this bill the instrument which killed the president of the United States.”

The NRA also supported California’s Mulford Act of 1967, which had banned carrying loaded weapons in public in response to the Black Panther Party’s impromptu march on the State Capitol to protest gun control legislation on May 2, 1967.

After the passage of the Gun Control Act of 1968, In an interview in American Rifleman, Franklin Orth stated that despite portions of the law appearing “unduly restrictive, the measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with.”

The NRA on October 5, 2017 called for a federal regulation outlawing the sale and possession of “bump stocks. As has been discussed Ad nauseam on these forums, the NRA's support for the "Bump Stock Ban" which proved to many of its supporters that they have not shed their anti-2A leanings of the past.

All of this combined with the new revelations that the NRA is grossly mishandling funds, and has created a protectionist system for their upper echelons of power, leads me to the epiphany that I cannot support the NRA any longer. I will only support organizations like GOA or SAF, at least until they betray my firmly held belief in an absolute 2A.

But hey! That's just me.

Top Bottom