• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Just 1 thumb safety really isn't enough for some people.
    Mfgs should offer models with 2 or 3 thumb safties.
    I mean, if 1 is good more is better (right?), and some people are all thumbs anyway.
    So, it just stands to reason . . .

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I picked a 1911 to carry daily, all of my other handguns that I compete/train/carry are also SA/thumbsafety to keep the motion the same. I used to compete with a DA/SA pistol and I found myself not clicking off the safety everytime with my 1911.

So I ditched that pistol and bought another cocked and locked 9mm for competition. Never had a problem since with forgetting the safety.

I also unholster with my thumb on the safety but I do not click it off until I start to rotate and place my support hand on the pistol. That way I can be sure that the gun is not pointed at myself and it is still the same motion as I am bringing the sights on target.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    If you watch the Grebner video carefully in slow motion, it appears he did what people tend do to get a ND with a SERPA holster:

He grabs the grip of the gun and is pulling up on it as he pushes the release button on the SERPA holster. By pulling on the gun before pressing the release button, the tension makes it harder to press the button. You can see the holster riding up on his belt but not releasing the gun immediately. With enough finger pressure on the release button, the holster lets go and, as the gun clears the holster, the finger, still under pressure, slaps the trigger, and BOOM, a hole in his leg.

The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC), among others, has banned SERPA holsters.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If you watch the Grebner video carefully in slow motion, it appears he did what people tend do to get a ND with a SERPA holster:

He grabs the grip of the gun and is pulling up on it as he pushes the release button on the SERPA holster. By pulling on the gun before pressing the release button, the tension makes it harder to press the button. You can see the holster riding up on his belt but not releasing the gun immediately. With enough finger pressure on the release button, the holster lets go and, as the gun clears the holster, the finger, still under pressure, slaps the trigger, and BOOM, a hole in his leg.

The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC), among others, has banned SERPA holsters.
    It was very hard to tell from the video, but I share in this "hatred" of those holsters. Have you ever witnessed a ND due to those holsters yourself? I remember hearing they were banned from military or Marine Corps use, but since I don't like them anyway I didn't pay close attention and can't remember where I heard that. :dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    What if a person doesn't have thumbs? The heel of your thumb is part of the palm area of your hand and so it fits on the backstrap, allowing you to have a grip.

While I have all my digits...I prefer no safeties

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    What if a person doesn't have thumbs? The heel of your thumb is part of the palm area of your hand and so it fits on the backstrap, allowing you to have a grip.

While I have all my digits...I prefer no safeties
    Even so, I would question one's ability to hold and shoot the firearm in these circumstances. I had my trigger finger severred a few years ago at the first knuckle and reattched. It's simply amazing how much little things are affected or altered.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Even so, I would question one's ability to hold and shoot the firearm in these circumstances. I had my trigger finger severred a few years ago at the first knuckle and reattched. It's simply amazing how much little things are affected or altered.

While you might question one's ability to hold and shoot the firearm...that's where the old adage of practice, practice, practice comes into play. Without a thumb, the thumb safety is useless.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    While you might question one's ability to hold and shoot the firearm...that's where the old adage of practice, practice, practice comes into play. Without a thumb, the thumb safety is useless.
    My point was, the GUN is useless if he can't grip it. My finger is reattached but I cannot do many of the simplest and most basic things that most people take for granted. As weird as it sounds, even swinging a hammer straight without it turning is a challenge for me and I still HAVE the finger. Hence, I doubt anyone's ability to hold and shoot a pistol at all, much less accurately, without a thumb.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    It was very hard to tell from the video, but I share in this "hatred" of those holsters. Have you ever witnessed a ND due to those holsters yourself? I remember hearing they were banned from military or Marine Corps use, but since I don't like them anyway I didn't pay close attention and can't remember where I heard that. :dunno:

Yes, it is hard to tell from the video, but by looking very closely, we can see the finger adding extra force as he tries to pull the gun out, and, at the instant the trigger guard clears the holster, it discharges.

No, I have not witnessed a ND with a SERPA holster and hope I do not. Still, I too, prohibit them in any classes in which we shoot from holster.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ok. I got that. But that's not what I'm talking about. What is the feeling about thumb safetys and when is the proper time to disengage them during the draw. Is there a consensus?
    I doubt you will find a consensus. Some prefer to disengage the safety as it is rotating towards the target and away from the shooter. Others prefer to disengage it as you're making the grasp on the grip to draw it. At that point, YOU and your finger are the safety and it doesn't touch the trigger until the gun is clear of your body.:twocents:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yes, it is hard to tell from the video, but by looking very closely, we can see the finger adding extra force as he tries to pull the gun out, and, at the instant the trigger guard clears the holster, it discharges.

No, I have not witnessed a ND with a SERPA holster and hope I do not. Still, I too, prohibit them in any classes in which we shoot from holster.
    Yeah, I don't care for them either. I can't trust a retention system that has mechanical parts THAT close to inside the trigger guard.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    As the gun is being pushed out towards the target the thumb safety comes off.

Its natural, I havent even thought about it before.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    when is the proper time to disengage them during the draw. Is there a consensus?

As someone who uses a basic 4-count drawstroke, I'd say (if I carried a thumb safetied gun) it should be deactivated during Count 2.

From Paul Gomez's thread on drawstroke: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...mbative_drawstroke_in_pictures_and_video.html

3065541226_45d5aefd49.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I like Tex, he's an avid outdoorsman who also likes to train and "prep".

To me, he just made the classic case against SERPAs. Didn't lay his finger on it the it was desgined and poked it when it wouldn't come up. Bang! He's very lucky not to do more damage than he did.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    When the hands come together the safety come off, unless there is a need to shoot sooner.

Top Bottom