• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Lee was one of the first progressive presses, but you had to index the shell plate by hand. Next was Hornady then Dillon. I've had all three and if I were to buy another progressive I would look at a Dillon or Hornady. The Lee is a good loader for what it costs, but a little more money will get you into a press which is built stronger. However, if the Lee fits your budget go for it...

MJ317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Greenwood
    LP 1000

I purchased one about a month ago and just started reloading. Purchased mine setup for 9mm and have turrets for 40 cal and 223. I have since reloaded about 200 rounds of 115gr FMJ-RN with WSP primers and HS-6 Hodgdon powder. It is a great feeling that all 200 fired with no hick-ups and decent accuracy. I still had minor adjusting to do and had some missed primers. That was on me for not paying attention to making sure I complete the setting process for the primer on the up stroke. Pay attention to the auto primer in making sure the feeder is always full and complete every stroke. I am pleased with mine and would recommend it to any beginner. Hope this helps.

Reloader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I sell the Pro 1000 and have not had any complaints to date. The press can be finicky if not setup correctly but once it's adjusted it hard to beat for the money. You tube has some good videos on both the 1000 and Loadmaster. If speed is not an issue a cast iron 4 hole turret press is hard to beat as well.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I just bought a used one of another INGO member. I'm pleased, but will tell you that there is some set-up time involved to get it running well.

As with most of the Lee Autoprime set ups, once you get down to the last 15 or so primers, it is a little unreliable feeding the primers into the press to be installed into the empty cases.

I've seen a variety of solutions, ranging from pushing the primers down the ramp by hand, to just always having the primer tray full, to someone created a small weight that rode the primer track and helped push them in place.

It isn't a Dillon or other higher end press, but it doesn't cost what a Dillon costs either. I think it is a great way to get started and see if you like a turret style auto indexing press. If you decide you want to upgrade in the future you certainly can, and would probably either be able to sell the Lee, or keep it as a back-up or dedicated press for a given caliber.

one shot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    I wish I still had the money I spent on mine although it is OK I would have saved another two hundred or so and bought a hornady LNL.

They will load ammo just be prepared to hand prime you will understand after you load and prime on the press a bit

4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    I do hand prime for the 2 calibers that I use that press for, .44, .45, its just unreliable for priming, then I have to fill the case feeder tubes twice if I hand prime but it works way better

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    My experience with the Lee Pro 1000 wasn't very positive. It was inconsistent with the powder charge most of the time. The primer chute wasn't problematic as long as it was kept fairly full. I sold it, and bought a Dillon 550, and I been very pleased with it.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    It's the perfect press for probably 95% of us. It does require some set-up, but they all do. It is a little finicky but you figure it all out after some use and can really crank out the re-loads. I think it is an excellent setup. I use myne for .40, 9mm, 38, and .357. 9mm is a little tricky because they don't have a 9mm shellplate, it shares the .40 shellplate and I find that the primers don't always go in smoothly since the 9mm brass doesn't stay centered well due to it being loose in a .40 shellplate.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    From experience - in a word... Don't. Just buy a Dillon. I've owned an L'n'L, a 1000, a Redding Turret, a 550 and two XL650's. Nothing compares to a good quality press like a Dillon.

4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    Not for the 1000 for sure, its like $260. But I thought the loadmaster looked awesome.

Also from the same guy I bought a tumbler with media and 900 large pistol primers for $20. I hadn't loaded anything before that and quickly relized that I got a hell of a deal.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You only got a great deal if the press works as advertised. The good news is that you don't have much money tied up in it, so when you decide to get a Dillon or Hornady, you won't be crying in your beer.

Top Bottom