Thoughts on required training for LTCH in Indiana.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    OK, here is my take on this. Lets say you have a "reasonable" training requirement. Let's say 2 hours class time and 1 hour range time. Total cost we will say is $25.00 OK, so far sounds good. Now let's look to the future. Someone to the extreme left gets into the Governors office / general assembly. Now the training is 40 hours, 6 hours range time, and cost $1000. Just remember, what is regulated can always be changed easier then enacting a new law.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    No.

Why?
    1. It's not the government's responsibility.
    2. It isn't even the gov't's right to require training to exercise the 2nd Amendment. It borders on "infringement" as all the other restrictions on weapons do.
    3. It would cost more money.
    4. It wouldn't reduce crime.
    5. It would make the backlog worse.
    6. It would add more bureaucracy.
    7. It wouldn't increase safety.
    You are correct sir ! :rockwoot:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Went through training when Texas first launched it.

Obtaining a permit to carry concealed in the State of Texas requires a 10 hour Concealed Handgun License Certification Course which is outlined by the State Department of Public Safety and covers the use of force, gun safety, gun storage, dispute resolution and Texas laws regarding use of force as a defense and licensing requirements.

Obtaining a permit to carry concealed in the State of Texas requires completion of the course, qualifying with a handgun at the range, and passing a 50 question test.

After reading about and seeing some of the dumb **** people do, or not even knowing the laws of the state they are carrying in, I have to say Texas did it right.

I was rather supprised when I moved back here in 98 that I didn't have to do much of anything get a LTCH.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Absolutely not. It's bad enough we have to pay a fee to exercise our right. I do not want the government to also have a say in whether I am qualified to exercise that right.

The more control they have over something the easier it is for them take it away.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Absolutely not. It's bad enough we have to pay a fee to exercise our right. I do not want the government to also have a say in whether I am qualified to exercise that right.

The more control they have over something the easier it is for them take it away.

understood, and the first time someone is busted on school grounds for not knowing the law, they lose that right to carry ;)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    No!

Since the entire concept of requiring a license is itself an INFRINGEMENT of one's constitutional right, it makes no sense to add even more infringements. Two wrongs still don't make it right.

Hey, I have an idea! Let's infringe upon the First Amendment by requiring that anyone who wants to exercise their right to free speech must have at least a bachelor's degree in journalism.

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I think there should be at least some type of basic safety training required. Especially since it's so easy for pretty much anyone without any major convictions to get an ltch here. We all know there are a lot of stupid people out there that don't exercise safe and proper gun use. Who's to say, just my thoughts on the subject.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Do you think the Govt could provide good training? :laugh:

gunsafety.jpg

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm with Alaska - I'd take a course if it would allow my permit to be accepted in other states that don't accept it now, like Ohio. But I don't think it should be required..
    :+1: An optional course with the result being a different "level" of LTCH that hopefully would be accepted in places like Ohio (and a better looking LTCH than that pukey pink one we get now . . :eek:)

Just looked again and actually I like Scutter's idea better . . . :yesway:

So you remove the LTCH requirement altogether, but offer an OPTIONAL class for those who want a resident permit that will be recognized by other states.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I look at it like this a LTCH is bull$h1t anyway. Indiana should be like Kentucky, open carry is legal, no license required, carry in the car in the glove box is ok also, no license to carry needed. You can even put the gun in the seat next to you and no license is required. But when someone wants to carry concealed, then you have to go thru a class, show proficiency on the range, and take a test. That is fine with me, Kentucky is NOT infringing in your right to keep and bare arms, as long as they are out in the open. BUT, they slightly infringe on your right to carry when you want to CC. I am ok with that because you can carry a handgun with you OC without a license, in Indiana you cant have a firearm on you, in your car/RV unless you have a LTCH. To require a person to take a test to get a LTCH is completly ludicris. I like Kentuckys way of licensing individuals, and I think it works well.

INGunGuy

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    The whole idea of being licensed has always bothered me, especially given that you pay for it. It is a Right and as far as I am concerned anyone in any state should be able to carry. Now, I realize there are people who aren't to be trusted with a weapon but they get them any way. I don't know anyone with a gun who hasn't had some sort of training even if it is basic safety from a friend. Making training a requirement is just one more step down the road to ever more restrictions.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Yes and No

Looking from outside the box, yes, I think training seems like a good idea. Carrying a firearm is a serious responsiblity. And handling any firearm, even only at a range, requires a enormous amount of respect for the weapon the user holds in their hand. This is something that a reputable training course should instill. I know I learned this in scouting very early.

...nay sayers, please read on...

With that said, regardless of the users intelligence, coordination, etc., no proper person should have their RIGHT to personal protection infringed on (if one were to fail a training or profeciency course). With that said, any type of course could only serve to restrict this RIGHT.

So ultimately, regardless of what positives a training course can provide, it should in no way be a requirement for LTCH.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Originally the LTCH/CCW craze was started for those who wished to conceal a firearm. Because it used to be socially accepted to open carry, and those that concealed were thought to hide it for some criminal purpose.

Personally I think mandatory training is a waste of both good time and good money. I have had to attend several government firearms courses and learned absolutely very little. Those that wish to have training will seek out better training than any state will mandate ever.

gunrunner0320

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Anderson
    i looked and the 2nd has not one word about being lic. in the first place. so y in hell would you want to put such a thing as test,s and tranning in place to be able to carry ? mabe take a freind shooting would be a good idea then they would be geting help with what they dont know. but other then that forget it

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I think there should be at least some type of basic safety training required. Especially since it's so easy for pretty much anyone without any major convictions to get an ltch here. We all know there are a lot of stupid people out there that don't exercise safe and proper gun use. Who's to say, just my thoughts on the subject.
    Please explain how any amount of training would "fix stupid."

You can't fix stupid.

Top Bottom