This truly insane... house after house invaded...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If police are civilians, too then why do they call every non police person a civilian? I have heard many times police from Maggot all the way to Chief use terms that put themselves in a higher class than civilians.

Police probably started calling other people civilians, when civilians started calling them civil servants.

:dunno:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's a way to disconnect. And I don't like it. I know there are current programs that are trying to get the police and the community they serve together and to see each other as fellow people. Instead of robots (cops) and terrorist all wanting to kill cops (citizens).
    I don't know anything about the case in the op. But hopefully justice is served
    I'm not convinced that is the reason...it might be the result but not the reason. Saying "non-leo" instead of "civilian" takes more effort. Police like to shorten their speech as much as possible...10 codes for instance. Fire departments refer to fellow citizens the same way but no one thinks they are trying to demean them even though they use the term for the same reason we do. It's perception. 99.9% of officers use the term just like "10-4" instead of OK or "vehicle" instead of CAR or "crash" instead of ACCIDENT. The idea of the term being offensive e never crosses their mind.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    If police are civilians, too then why do they call every non police person a civilian? I have heard many times police from Maggot all the way to Chief use terms that put themselves in a higher class than civilians.

The dictionary def would seem to indicate that anyone not subject to UCMJ is a civilian. Not sure why police refer to themselves as such, the suggestions up above make as much as sense as any IMO.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So is this judge saying civil servants can be quartered because they're not military?

I'm retired Air Force (retired reserve for another year, then I'm just "retired") and civil service. So I guess depending on which ID I grab I may or may not be able to show up at somebody's house like the Red Coats back in the day.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's an idea. A system in every home that installs in every room an independent, battery operated device that fills the room with an ear-piercing siren wail as long as any of several occupancy sensors are tripped. The precise location of the multiple siren emitters and multiple sensors would be non-obvious. Each room would be independent of all other rooms, but all rooms would communicate with controllers installed next to each exit from the home, integrated with the over-all home security system.

Police come knocking, "We have a hostage situation/gas leak/impromptu interpretive dance protest near by. It's not safe for you and your family to occupy your home. You have to leave." "Kids, get your coats and prepare to secure the home!" All other doors are locked, windows are closed and locked, and everyone files out under the watchful eyes of the police, and the last thing you do is hit the occupancy denial button on the home security system, close and lock the door. "Wait, wait, we'll need your key to be able to enter your home in your absence." "I don't ****ing think so." "If you don't give us a key to enter your home, we'll just break in violently." "You won't enjoy your stay either way. Bye."

If the sniper team actually forces entry, every room they enter will just assault their ears in ways that no hearing protection is capable of blocking out, and will do so in perpetuity, or for 48 continuous hours, whichever is shorter. Give ten continuous minutes before the individual room might also release an area denial fog of OC in case the sirens weren't sufficiently dissuasive. Because they are independent and battery powered, cutting the power to the house would not deactivate them. Upon return, keying in the code to unlock the correct cryptographic key in the per-room controller would cause them to allow the home to be occupied in peace again. Alternatively, all emitters or all sensors would have to be located and destroyed on a room-by-room basis by the police desiring to occupy the private residence for whatever reason.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This isn't a 3rd Amendment case, but I still see no legal basis for the police to force a private property owner to allow their home to be used as a lookout.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The dictionary def would seem to indicate that anyone not subject to UCMJ is a civilian. Not sure why police refer to themselves as such, the suggestions up above make as much as sense as any IMO.

That apparently depends on the dictionary.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Here's an idea. A system in every home that installs in every room an independent, battery operated device that fills the room with an ear-piercing siren wail as long as any of several occupancy sensors are tripped. The precise location of the multiple siren emitters and multiple sensors would be non-obvious. Each room would be independent of all other rooms, but all rooms would communicate with controllers installed next to each exit from the home, integrated with the over-all home security system.

Police come knocking, "We have a hostage situation/gas leak/impromptu interpretive dance protest near by. It's not safe for you and your family to occupy your home. You have to leave." "Kids, get your coats and prepare to secure the home!" All other doors are locked, windows are closed and locked, and everyone files out under the watchful eyes of the police, and the last thing you do is hit the occupancy denial button on the home security system, close and lock the door. "Wait, wait, we'll need your key to be able to enter your home in your absence." "I don't ****ing think so." "If you don't give us a key to enter your home, we'll just break in violently." "You won't enjoy your stay either way. Bye."

If the sniper team actually forces entry, every room they enter will just assault their ears in ways that no hearing protection is capable of blocking out, and will do so in perpetuity, or for 48 continuous hours, whichever is shorter. Give ten continuous minutes before the individual room might also release an area denial fog of OC in case the sirens weren't sufficiently dissuasive. Because they are independent and battery powered, cutting the power to the house would not deactivate them. Upon return, keying in the code to unlock the correct cryptographic key in the per-room controller would cause them to allow the home to be occupied in peace again. Alternatively, all emitters or all sensors would have to be located and destroyed on a room-by-room basis by the police desiring to occupy the private residence for whatever reason.

Um....OK. If you want to install something like that in your home, that's your choice. Seems a little overboard to me, if for no other reason than the possibility of the bloody thing triggering when I was in my home, by accident. Imagine a water line to your dishwasher rupturing or your regular, normal alarm system activating just after you leave, either for work or for a weekend camping trip, incommunicado. In the first instance, the water damage will be horrendous. In the latter, your neighbors, alarm company, and police dept. will be very displeased with you on your return. Now imagine that with your home full of OC.

Thanks anyway, I'll pass.

I really, REALLY hope you just ran out of purple ink.

Blessings,
    Bill

DanSwanky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Springfield

I think this is perfectly reasonable. I understand the hyperbole but extreme responses will be the only way to deter such an action to show that we are fed up with our gov taking advantage of us because we certainly don't do it by voting. In my house will be speakers blaring "Everybody Dance Now," they will pretend to be upset. After the doors close my hidden cameras will observe them dancing the night away. The footage will be used as blackmail of course.

Top Bottom