This is what I think of when I hear magazines referred to as clips.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Its an imaginary passphrase into the world of the knowledgeable about firearms. Context: Ha! Stupid NEWB doesn't know the difference between a clip and a magazine. Oddly, you seldom see it when it come to"bullet" vs "cartridge" or "grip" vs "stocks".

And is it "grip" or "grips"? I've heard (and used) both. It's one thing with two pieces. :laugh:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Its an imaginary passphrase into the world of the knowledgeable about firearms. Context: Ha! Stupid NEWB doesn't know the difference between a clip and a magazine. Oddly, you seldom see it when it come to"bullet" vs "cartridge" or "grip" vs "stocks".
    There you go making sense. I always figured it was MMC (mutual misery club). New gun enthusiast corrected for "clip" use feels the need to pass it on. New knowledge is always fun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ok, I'll pretend to be a noob asking the stupid questions. I honestly don't get the difference between magazine and clip. The terms seem to be used interchangeably. Is calling a magazine a "clip" totally incorrect, or is it just passe?

Magazines = box shape. Clip = flat and holds the cartridges by their rim.

These are clips:

Clip_M1-SKS.JPG

And is it "grip" or "grips"? I've heard (and used) both. It's one thing with two pieces. :laugh:

I don't know that there is an "officially agreed upon cool kid term (tm)" but I understand it as follows: A one piece is a "grip", regardless of its for a revolver or semi-auto. A two piece set for a semi-auto, say a 1911, is "grips". A two piece set for a revolver is "stocks".

Almost no one says "stocks" any more, though, its fallen out of common usage except among old people and craftsmen who do custom work for revolvers.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok, good to know re the mag/clip thing, because I only do revolvers. I just bought a pair of grips for my Smith that apparently were really stocks, but the Smith doesn't care. I've only heard stocks in reference to rifles, but I've led a sheltered life.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Who brought about and when did this anger about the terminology start? Most of the old vets called them clips for their .45s and M1 Carbines. No one ever yelled at them about it. So I am just curious about the level of anger it seems to cause now.

I know this is an old thread but I am just clinking around this morning and though I would give you my .02 (As a kind of old vet).

M1s used stripper clips to load ammunition from top down into a magazine that was attached to the weapon. 1911A1 Pistols have always been magazine fed as far as I know. When thinking of portable ammunition the two terms get interchanged.

I don't mind that, I point out the difference if it matters, but I mind folks presenting themselves as expert on a subject they know very little about. I think the gentlemen in the video has probably never fired a weapon before.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009

I respectfully submit to you sir that while I have a low post count, I am not a newb. Generally I am highly deferential to those around me and don't care much about terminology, Flash Hider vs. Flash Suppressor for instance, bullet vs. cartridge etc... What does bug me is when someone who probably hasn't ever even fired a shot presents himself as an expert on this topic and proceeds to make poor terminology choices, mishandle the weapon and then tell me he knows what is best for me. I would feel similarly if the gentlemen where standing at the podium with a Disk Brake pad in hand talking about the dangers of Drum Brakes on the back of 1980's pickup trucks.

I have read other of your posts and have found your thoughts to be well stated and reasonable. I am not seeking to start a flame war with you here in my month old thread, just explaining myself and hopefully clearing up a misconception. I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

Respectfully,
    Dave

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I think people are kind of anal about this. I am 46 and have been taught my entire life a clip and magazine are the same thing.

BTW......I was at a friends of NRA event a few weeks ago.....the NRA director was a retired Marine Corp officer and NRA employee......he referred to magazines as clips many times. I really think young people put too much emphasis into deciding which it is.

One thing I guarantee every one knows is this......when someone says they need a new clip, you damn sure know what they mean. The talking heads are always making a big deal of this,but I just don't see it.

A magazine is a collection or storage location....thus is where a magazine you read derived from.

A clip is...a device used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    As long as they follow the four rules I couldn't give a rat's rear what they call them as long as I know what they mean. As long as you're safe with your firearms what you call them is none of my concern.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok, I'm 49, and yes I'm anal about this, but I'm a somewhat autistic engineer, so I'm anal about a lot of things. Words mean things, and there should be a 1:1 correspondence between words and meanings. I feed my SKS with a stripper clip, into the non-removable magazine. It has a slot right there on the bolt. A Garand eats rounds (notice I didn't say bullets) from an en-bloc clip. An AR, AK, G3, M14 etc. feeds from a magazine. A "clip" and a "magazine" are different things. What we have is people that don't know what they're talking about, talking a bunch, and we've allowed that to affect us. Be precise. It's not painful.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is what goes on in my brain when I hear a removable magazine called a clip.
    [video=youtube;ZkcAGvXrRw8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkcAGvXrRw8[/video]
    Note, if you already know the how bad dubstep sucks, then no need to listen.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    A magazine is a collection or storage location....thus is where a magazine you read derived from.

A clip is...a device used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit.

So by these definitions, all clips are magazines, but not all magazines are clips. :rolleyes:

Is this both?
    ruger_sr9_mag.jpg

FWIW - my definition is a clip feeds a magazine. Anyone object to that?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Sorry guys, but a magazine is a clip and a clip is a magazine.

Source: Clip - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Definition #2, Noun, Clip - "a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm"

However much it may not have been the same in the past modern usage has added the specific definition to the word "clip." It happens all the time. In the olde days the generic definition of "gay" was "happy." The slang definition of "gay" was "being a prostitute." Today "gay" has lost the "prostitution" definition from the slang and has adapted "homosexual."

Language evolves.

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hogwash.
    M-W is the most pathetically permissive dictionary out there. Look up the definition of peruse and see.

I'll stick to the AHD4 (my copy is at home).

To JettaKnight (et alia),

American Heritage Dictionary, 5th Edition, Definition Clip[SUP]2[/SUP] Definition #3 - "A cartridge clip"

American Heritage Dictionary Entry: Clip

Regards,

Doug

PS - Oxford dictionary = "a metal holder containing cartridges" clip: definition of clip in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

Cambridge Dictionary = "a container holding bullets that is put into a gun" clip noun (GUN PART) - definition in the American English Dictionary - Cambridge Dictionaries Online (US)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well.
    Manufacturers have interchanged the words.
    US Army used to refer to boxed/enclosed ammunition feeding device as a clip.

Seems kinda silly.

Yes, words have meanings.
    A barrel is not a trigger.

But sometimes, people just want to get silly.

Top Bottom