Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    No, I believe they are my right and I will exercise and possess that right as I wish without fear of what the masses wish to do or even think they can do to strip it from me.

If I feared the masses, I would only in practice be exercising a privilege and should certainly beware not to upset their irrational feelings.
    You shouldn't have to fear the masses. If that is their intent, then they would be the ones in violation. Don't let em make you feel bad about your rights.;)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Guys at work tell me about walkin down Broadway in Gary with shotguns (in the day).
    Now, people freak no matter what they see.
    So what will happen in the next 40 years?
    No gun in the home? We don't want to lose our rights.,
    Society has changed.
    Because we didn't want to make waves.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I believe each of us should be able to do anything within our rights, so long as we don't trample the rights of others. But, I think each of us needs to think about the consequences of what we do and figure out if the consequences are in our best interest. When we take actions that are outside the norm, we will gain attention. When we gain attention, our actions will be analyzed to try to decipher intent. Whatever the conclusion of that analysis is, it can form the basis of the analysis that's going to happen the next time someone sees a similar action. While none of that changes a person's rights, it sure can change the outcome of their attempt to exercise them.

Unfortunately, the most significant outcome of a civilian carrying an AR in a place that never saw someone carrying an AR was a massacre. That's the logical conclusion that will form the basis of their understanding. That's a tough one to overcome. It's common to see someone carrying a handgun. The fear of that is countered by the stories of people using handguns to protect themselves and others. There are lots of those stories out there that act as a counterpoint to the blind fear someone may have when the see a handgun. There are very few stories floating around that counter the stigma the asshat in CO gave us. I don't recall ever hearing of a story in recent times where a civilian was carrying a long gun in a normal area where they used that gun to defend someone. Handguns sure, but not long arms.

I don't know how we change that. Maybe a series of family events that are long arm friendly, such as a 'Bring your rifle and family cookout'. Maybe the image of Granny Clampett sitting in her rocking chair with a shotgun in her lap will help. Maybe a church event that invited the congregation to shoot skeet at a cookout.

I don't think the image will be changed by one of us walking alone downtown with our AR over our shoulder, no matter how legal we are. Maybe if we could get Becky Skillman to start carrying an AR with her wherever she goes, it might start the seed of change in perceptions. Maybe if Florence Henderson were seen to hand her AK to an assistant before she sings at the 500, people might start to accept a long arm for daily carry. But, if I decide to carry my AR to the next grocery run, it will not help the cause. The image burned into the sheep mind right now is from Aurora.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We don't want to lose our rights.,
    Society has changed.
    Because we didn't want to make waves.

I don't see it as not wanting to make waves, but more about bringing the mindset along at a pace that people can handle. You don't start first grade by learning calculus. You take a step by step approach that results in your knowing calculus, but only after mastering general math, algebra and so on. Right now, we have people becoming more accepting of handgun carry and I think that one day we could see the same for a long arm. But, try to cram that down societies throat before they are able to accept it, and they will demand some sort of protection from it. You push them too hard and you will do the anti-gunners work for them. The last thing they want is for any type of carry to be accepted and they would just love to see the sheep stirred up and marching to their cause.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I don't see it as not wanting to make waves, but more about bringing the mindset along at a pace that people can handle. You don't start first grade by learning calculus. You take a step by step approach that results in your knowing calculus, but only after mastering general math, algebra and so on. Right now, we have people becoming more accepting of handgun carry and I think that one day we could see the same for a long arm. But, try to cram that down societies throat before they are able to accept it, and they will demand some sort of protection from it. You push them too hard and you will do the anti-gunners work for them. The last thing they want is for any type of carry to be accepted and they would just love to see the sheep stirred up and marching to their cause.
    Bingo, bingo and BINGO. You, sir, have summed up my greatest fear and the reason for the thread.

I believe the action should fit the circumstance. If I walk into Thorntons (convience store) as I have a lot of times OCing with a single pistol on my hip, it's cool. If I have my sidearm and a shotgun slung across my back with a large ammo belt it's probably not cool. I do believe people would be nervous. If I did that every day I think some customers would find someplace else to get their coke or coffee.

We have a lot of enemies who want to take away our rights. If pushed hard enough we'll get more antis in office then the assault will begin.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Bingo, bingo and BINGO. You, sir, have summed up my greatest fear and the reason for the thread.

I believe the action should fit the circumstance. If I walk into Thorntons (convience store) as I have a lot of times OCing with a single pistol on my hip, it's cool. If I have my sidearm and a shotgun slung across my back with a large ammo belt it's probably not cool. I do believe people would be nervous. If I did that every day I think some customers would find someplace else to get their coke or coffee.

We have a lot of enemies who want to take away our rights. If pushed hard enough we'll get more antis in office then the assault will begin.

So what you are getting at is that we as gun owners need to own more convenience stores?

:ar15::):

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    While others. May be comfy covering up and hiding, others or more out in the open with others infringing on our rights.

If they can step on our toes and ask us to leave when we are doing nothing wrong, then why don't we strap up and protest peacefully with holstered/slung weapons?

I see no difference between this and the OWS protestors, except we would actually be protesting something worthwhile.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Rosa Parks.

Now your thinking! The only problem is that Rosa Parks is dead. Even if she were not, I don't know that she would be on board with the idea of carrying an AR. But, if we can find someone else that is easy to relate to, and that is not threatening, it could work. I go back to Florence Henderson.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    While others. May be comfy covering up and hiding, others or more out in the open with others infringing on our rights.

If they can step on our toes and ask us to leave when we are doing nothing wrong, then why don't we strap up and protest peacefully with holstered/slung weapons?

I see no difference between this and the OWS protestors, except we would actually be protesting something worthwhile.

An open carry event might help. It defuses the whole intent thing and tries to send a message.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Now your thinking! The only problem is that Rosa Parks is dead. Even if she were not, I don't know that she would be on board with the idea of carrying an AR. But, if we can find someone else that is easy to relate to, and that is not threatening, it could work. I go back to Florence Henderson.

Justin Bieber?

Top Bottom