• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Civil service, whatever line you choose ,military, police, etc., is a noble but thankless job. Having been a deputy sheriff in the past makes me feel good, but hearing cops being bad mouthed for the actions of a few bad cops makes me ill. Choose your profession wisely and you will thank yourself later. Better get your teflon shorts on because someone will always be flinging sh*t your way for something that someone else in your line of work did to them.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I am also in the same boat. I was supposed to have left for basic already but they lost my med docs. So I am back at square one.

I am almost done with my degree in Physical Education, so I will be going in as an E3. I have a great job that I am currently working, that will promote me as soon as I finish my degree. So I am joining the National Guard. This will allow me to teach during the week and on the weekend serve. I will have about 1-2 years enlisted then fill out my OCS packet and be an officer.

So in my case I have the pleasure of teaching and serving. Are you wanting to be full time or reserve? Either way you are making a great decision and have my respect as well as many many many others!

if you go this route, dont bank on it being "a weekend a month and two weeks a year". even if you dont deploy, youll find yourself doing much, much more. ive been in the reserves about three and a half years, and have a year long deployment and about six months of miscellaneous time spent in uniform, plus regular drills and annual trainings.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Just go straight into becoming a LEO if that is your main goal. If you join the military and do 20 you'll be too old to become swat. Trust me i'm in that boat.

If you are going to join the military anyway for a few years then become a leo let me suggest these type of units:
    Seal
    Special Forces
    Ranger
    Force Recon
    Scouts

As i've been told my many of certain special agencies these are some of the best to have on a resume.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I have 2 years as a Combat Engineer in the Army, and 9 in the Air Force with the Security Police.

The Air Force lives better. More importantly, at least for the enlisted side, is that you get a lot more responsibility as an enlisted person in the Air Force than you do in the Army. And more freedom if you handle the responsibility well. On the downside, gaining rank is sloooooooow in the Air Force compared to the Army.

Still, with your college, if you have the temperament to be an officer, there is no disadvantage to going enlisted. Pay sucks wind, and you are very much at the bottom of the totem pole. Never saw a 2nd LT picking up butts!!!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    if you go this route, dont bank on it being "a weekend a month and two weeks a year". even if you dont deploy, youll find yourself doing much, much more. ive been in the reserves about three and a half years, and have a year long deployment and about six months of miscellaneous time spent in uniform, plus regular drills and annual trainings.

yep... 6 years in the guard... 3.2 of active duty NOT including basic or AIT :xmad:

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Talk to a recruiter from every branch of service first. Never sign anything until you have thought out everything carefully. Then if you make a decision to join make sure exactly what you want is in writing before you sign. If everything is on paper and fits your needs/wants go for it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Do not rule out the Coast Guard. They have LEDET's: Law Enforcement Detachments. TACLET's: Tactical Law Enforcement Teams. MSST's: Marine Safety and Security Teams. They are anti terror, drug enforcement, and do high risk boardings. Basicly you are S.W.A.T. on the water. You would gain a lot of good experience toward becoming a state LEO, or Federal Agent. Basic is 8 weeks long, in lovely Cape May, New Jersey. Just something to think about!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    CID

If you are interested in LE then you can enlist as MP and with your college should get bumped up to E-3 at least. Once you get E-4 or so you can apply to CID which is a federal LE position and they are really looking for people quite often, I did it for a couple of years and it's not bad. If you decide to get out it is good work experience and there are also civilian CID agents much like NCIS. You already have enough college to get in. Once in you could also go warrant and get a little more pay and responsibility. You can also get paid to learn unique skills like forensic pathology or advanced crime scene investigation, photography, fraud, computers, etc. If you get out after a couple of years there are also reserve CID detachments you can go to.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you want K-9, the Army's MP K-9 units are really good. My brother was an MP and my cousin-in-law is an Army Veterinarian who cares for the dogs in A-Stan.

If you want SWAT, Army Ranger/Pathfinder/SAPPER/Sniper training would help, same for most of the Marines special training. Navy SEAL training would be good too.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Take your time, get what you want.

First things first, thank you for even considering serving your country. As many here have said look at the officer route, you already have the college time so put it to good use. If you really don't want to lead (my son said a 2nd lieutenant is just a private with a college degree) for NCO but choose wisely. Take your time look over your choices and "GET IT IN WRITING" before you sign anything.

Good luck and God Bless.:patriot:

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    My cousin was like you, he wanted to be a police officer. He entered the Army for one thing and one thing only to be an MP. He did his 4 years and walked out with several job offers for a police officer. Now, almost 20 years later he is a Chief of Police.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I joined the US Army at age 20 and served 5 years. Best decision I ever made. Whatever branch you decide to join, you won't regret it.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    No offense at all to my brothers from other services, but if you are an A-Team player, you are a Marine. Anything else is, well, not a Marine.

Before I get flamed, I spent 9 years in the Corps and 11 in the Guard, retiring from the Guard. My brother spent 11 years in the Corps and 17 in the Navy (BUDS graduate). I loved my service time, and would do it agian in a heartbeat. There was nothing like the training and comradarie I got in the Corps.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    Sounds like you have your act together so this really doesn't apply to you.But my son just graduated Army basics at Ft.Jackson,SC.I hate to say it but before he joined he was a first class f***up.At graduation it was like talking to a different man.His attitude has changed,his outlook on life,and his priorities have changed.6 months ago I thought I would be raising his 3 kids as well as the 3 I still have at home.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    No offense at all to my brothers from other services, but if you are an A-Team player, you are a Marine. Anything else is, well, not a Marine.

Before I get flamed, I spent 9 years in the Corps and 11 in the Guard, retiring from the Guard. My brother spent 11 years in the Corps and 17 in the Navy (BUDS graduate). I loved my service time, and would do it agian in a heartbeat. There was nothing like the training and comradarie I got in the Corps.

Do not want to use the word typical. However it's the mantality of many Marines. I can say the same as you about my time in the Coast Guard. If there was one perfect branch, well then there would be only one branch. Everyone has a job to do, and you take away just one branch. It affects the whole system. So please with Marines are the best crap. I realize it's a pride thing, I have pride too. However I respect all the branches!

Top Bottom