• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Well I shot my buddy's ak74 the other day and as I shoot a lot ammo get expensive and he only paid 180 1160 rounds lol it's cambered 5.45 something. Just curious if there is anything I should know about them since I've never owned one. Also a good brand to purchase? Looking to spend about 500 bucks

ThatsTheOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Monroe County
    I have a Polish Made AK74 that I really like, it does "key hole" but its not like I'm really trying to clover leaf rounds at 300 meters with it. I'd say $500 is a good starting point and if I remember right, that's what I gave for mine. Good luck with you reaserch as I'm sure there are many more people on INGO that have far better info then what I've given.

Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    Get a Polish Tantal. These are AK74 5.45x39mm and run in the <$500 range. If you go Bulgy or Russian Tula then you will had 3-5x that amount especially for an AKS-74U Krinkov.

You are correct that the ammo is rather cheap and there is plenty of surplus corrosive stuff available. Make sure you clean it after shooting that stuff tho...

Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    Awesome is there a company that makes the ak in the usa?

I don't believe there is an official 100% US mfg AK47 or 74 for that matter. US mfg's numerous parts for 922(r) compliant and I would believe you could find a parts kit cheap and have a builder build one for you but that will put you over $500. The build alone is upwards of $200-300 and the parts kit Romanian/Polish/Yugo/etc. will be at least $300-ish

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well I shot my buddy's ak74 the other day and as I shoot a lot ammo get expensive and he only paid 180 1160 rounds lol it's cambered 5.45 something. Just curious if there is anything I should know about them since I've never owned one. Also a good brand to purchase? Looking to spend about 500 bucks

Can you tell me where he found that ammo? BTW, check out the Waffen Works AK74.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    You might take a look at the Waffen Werks. I just picked one up not too long ago and it is a very nice well made rifle. I think it was around $700 at my LGS.

JamieQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    I've been thinking of picking one up myself. 47 vs 74 (any differences other than caliber)? What to look for vs what to run from?

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    :wallbash:
    We seriously need a what ak should i buy thread...

This is the 125th one this month.

Type
    What ak
    Purchase ak
    Ak74
    Ak47

In the search, your answers have been answered many many times this month.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have a Polish Made AK74 that I really like, it does "key hole" but its not like I'm really trying to clover leaf rounds at 300 meters with it. I'd say $500 is a good starting point and if I remember right, that's what I gave for mine. Good luck with you reaserch as I'm sure there are many more people on INGO that have far better info then what I've given.

It's a lot easier to clover leaf your shot with one that key holes :laugh:

Awesome is there a company that makes the ak in the usa?

I know Century makes the Centurian, which is 100% American made. I would buy an Arsenal SLR instead though. Century's track record blows on rifles they've built.

RUSSIAN VEPR RIFLE 5.45x39 with 16-1/2" Barrel #AKAGUN-VEPR-545

$500, shoots the 5.45x39 caliber you are discussing, AK style.

^ Solid advice :thumbsup:

I'd urge you to not sleep on the decision too long...

Go buy it tomorrow. Tonight if you can find a store open.

Let the panic buying begin :runaway:. I guess we didn't learn our lesson in 2008.

:wallbash:
    We seriously need a what ak should i buy thread...

This is the 125th one this month.

Type
    What ak
    Purchase ak
    Ak74
    Ak47

In the search your answers have been answered many many times this month.

Couldn't agree more :laugh:

Top Bottom