Thinkin about tradin away my 1911, What should i get to replace it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Point taken. Perhaps I should have added that I've read that about 75s too, but I have no personal experience with a 75 so they may indeed be less problematic. I just would not carry a 97 without extensive reliability testing. The maltfunctions I experienced were rather unique in that the round would catch on the upper part of the barrel above the chamber, catching on the upper chambers edge. All my other feeding malfunctions I've seen are generally "nosedives" as opposed to the unique CZ jams I've seen.

I owned a 97 at one time myself. It would not reliably feed hollow points. It's not the first .45 that I have seen that would not do so. Feed ramp polishing is an easy fix. In my opinion, fmj ammo in a .45 is suficient enough. The 75 I owned was flawless, cycled everything I fed it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would prefer the Glock 17 over the 19 if i decide to go that route. I like having a few more rounds to work with and i have big chunky hands.

If I could only have one Glock, it would be a 19. The reason being, the slightly shorter grip makes for much better concealability. That doesn't stop you from putting in a G17 mag and grip extension.

If size isn't going to be an issue, the G17 is an easy choice.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    SO i handled some of the Guns ya'll suggested plus some others.

I didn't dig CZ or Sig. just felt weird in the hand. They both felt like holding a TV remote vertically. just lumpy and awkward in all wrong places and ways.

No reason to even bring up the hi-point.

Glock was ok but not great. I didn't like the position of the mag release. And it had kind of a strange grip angle.

I wasn't fan of the XDm but the regular XD was nice.

I have no idea why H&K gets away with charging so much. It was the mediocrity hurt my hand more than the price hurt my eyes.

Most of the Taurus guns were alright, just too heavy on average.

I loved the M & P. Just loved it. Right now it is my Top 2 along with the PX4.

Oh and wasn't a fan of the alloy 1911's.

I'd still like to track down a EAA Witness and a Jericho to feel out.

Thank you all for all the help. I think i'm really wittling these down. Its prolly gonna come down to the M & P and PX4. Unless anyone has any more ideas that haven't been offered yet.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    As someone who traded his beloved Series I Kimber away...... DON'T DO IT!!!!

I'd love to have that one back. I <3 1911s.
    If I had to give it up, the M&P is the way I'd go (and in fact went)

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    My guess is that if you don't like the feel of a CZ you probably won't like the feel of an EAA gun as they are essentially exact replicas of CZ guns. That is just a shot in the dark as I've never handled an EAA.

WEB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Carmel
    See if you can get your hands on a grip reduction modified Glock. You might like the grip angle better and the mag button can be extended.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I've Made my Decision. I'm gonna go with the PX4 type C in 9mm. It was down to the M & P and the PX4. I choose the PX4 for the consistency of the trigger and action.

Having both my main and my back-up working the same way would lead to less chance of a deadly "Oops" in a fight.

Thanks everybody for the input. I really appreciate it. Keep your eyes open for a new 1911 in the classifieds sometime tomorrow afternoon!

Edit: As promised: here is the ad https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/101178-rock_island_armory_1911_tactical_large_pics.html#post1178777

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've Made my Decision. I'm gonna go with the PX4 type C in 9mm. It was down to the M & P and the PX4. I choose the PX4 for the consistency of the trigger and action.

Having both my main and my back-up working the same way would lead to less chance of a deadly "Oops" in a fight.

Thanks everybody for the input. I really appreciate it. Keep your eyes open for a new 1911 in the classifieds sometime tomorrow afternoon!

I hope it'll come with a full range report! I've been intrigued by the Px4 series. Something about that rotating barrel seems really cool. I've got a thing for quirky technologies like that.

Top Bottom