Thinkin about tradin away my 1911, What should i get to replace it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    While you're talking CZ, don't forget the newer CZ P-07. It comes in 9mm or 40. It also comes with an interchangeable safety or decocker.

I have a P-01 and find it to be an accurate and enjoyable shooter (still breaking in the trigger). It feels very comfortable in the hand.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    And when it comes to the M&P. Its gorgeous. and i have heard all sorts of great things about it. but I'm not liking the mag disconnect safety. If i muff up and drop the mag in a fight i would still like my one OH **** round please.

M&Ps can be had with or without the mag safety. And with or without a manual safety, too, for that matter.

Brett244

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I would recommend looken into either a XD9 tactical or xdm 9 4.5". The tactical has a 5" barrel and is rather fitting to a person with larger hands (such as myself). I have not held the xdm9 yet but from looking at the specs it is much alike the xd9. The factory mags are 16+1 but there are extended mags with grip extensions that will also give you a bit more room for your hands. I believe they are both around 30 oz. They may a bit bulky for concealing though. Good luck with your decision!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you want something that is DA/SA with a hammer. Look at the FNP. The 9mm is a 16 shot. It's decocker only. They also come with 3 mags. It is one of the most accurate polymer framed pistols I have shot. I got mine with stainless slide for $529. You can also get a USG model, that is safety and decocker. Holsters are a little hard to come by. I went with a BladeTech for mine. If you want a striker fired pistol, then my vote goes for the M&P. The Xd's are a good pistol, but a little on the heavy side. Same goes for the Xdm's. I did forget to mention CZ. I at one time owned a 75B, which you can get with safety, only or decocker only. Mine was a .40, but it honestly for me the most accurate .40 I have ever fired. My :twocents:

Last edited:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Not sure that there is THAT much of a difference, maybe $50 and I don't believe you will find all the choices in the clone variants.

Clearly they are awesome guns, not sure if the salesmen do a good job at all, they have not made a dent in the US marketshare!

From Glock guys :dunno:

I wonder if the countries that issue CZs ban hollowpoints even for police as my experience with a CZ97 and hollowpoints was awful. Less than 50% feeding reliability. I loved the ergonomics of it - next to the 1911, it is the best feeling weapon I have ever handled in terms of balance, pointing, and controls. Due to my experience, I would not carry or use any CZ pistol for SD unless I had tested reliability with HPs.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Many good suggestions so far. Glock, Sig, XD, m&p, CZ all are great pistols. I would try to get ahold of some of the different ones and get a chance to fire them if at all possible. I personally love Glock, but they are not for everyone. All of the above are great guns but all are different in some ways. Best thing to do is handle as many as you can and try to shoot them as well and go with what feels best to you. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ...my experience with a CZ97 and hollowpoints was awful. Less than 50% feeding reliability. I loved the ergonomics of it - next to the 1911, it is the best feeling weapon I have ever handled in terms of balance, pointing, and controls. Due to my experience, I would not carry or use any CZ pistol for SD unless I had tested reliability with HPs.

CZ97 may have problems with hollowpoints but I have several CZ75s that have never had a hang up with hollowpoints. Not sure its fair to condemn a whole product line because of experiences someone has with one gun of a different model than is being discussed/considered.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Look into the S&W 3rd gens, like the 5906.

SW-5906.jpg

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    A 5906 is no lightweight, either. The alloy framed 5904 is a nice carrying gun, though.

I think someone may have already mentioned it, but if you like the 1911 except for the weight, you may want to check out an aluminum framed one. Taurus makes a full sized PT1911 that weighs markedly less than the steel version.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'd recommend the S&W M&P9 or M&P9c. The CZ is too heavy, plain and simple. It has a lot of good things going for it, but the weight is not among them.

If you like the 1911, you'll probably never get used to the grip angle.

Honorable mention to the Springfield XD and XDM in all of their variants.

Older S&W automatics (metal frame) were discontinued for a reason.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    CZ97 may have problems with hollowpoints but I have several CZ75s that have never had a hang up with hollowpoints. Not sure its fair to condemn a whole product line because of experiences someone has with one gun of a different model than is being discussed/considered.

Point taken. Perhaps I should have added that I've read that about 75s too, but I have no personal experience with a 75 so they may indeed be less problematic. I just would not carry a 97 without extensive reliability testing. The maltfunctions I experienced were rather unique in that the round would catch on the upper part of the barrel above the chamber, catching on the upper chambers edge. All my other feeding malfunctions I've seen are generally "nosedives" as opposed to the unique CZ jams I've seen.

Top Bottom