• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Wife and I were recently car shopping (ended up with a Dodge Journey). Found that most of the "foreign" brands were at least assembled here in the US, while most of the "American" brands were from Canada, Mexico, or elsewhere. Not to mention Dodge is now owned by Italy's Fiat, and assembled in Mexico.

And almost all civics are made (assembled?) right here in Indiana.

Even Harleys use overseas parts.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The problem with that theory is that we don't even make good , old fashioned Americans here any more .

We've been out sourced in a manner .

We've been paying foreigners to come here and open up shops (homes)and pump out the babies for us , and they're good at it .

All they need is reduced / free rent , tax breaks , food stamps , free education and health care and they'll happily continue .

The children aren't being taught to read and write in cursive anymore so they can't read the original founding documents and don't have a clue what the 2nd amendment says .

Where exactly do you think Americans came from to begin with? :scratch:

Anyway, guns are definitely something that we still make. While some of the big names may have moved overseas, just look at the AR-15 market and the huge proliferation of little shops making them and making parts for them. Or places like Huntertown Arms, building suppressors right here in Indiana.

Shollz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Most of the liquor bottles are made in the U.S. still. My wife makes Jim, Jack, Cuervo, etc.. bottles in good old southeast Indiana

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Not to mention Dodge is now owned by Italy's Fiat, and assembled in Mexico.

Some are, some are made here. My Ram was built in Michigan, but some are built in Mexico. If you buy new your window sticker will tell you which plant built it. Fiat says they are going to start producing Alfa Romeos and Masarati SUVs stateside, too, with the possibility of 3 plants opening up.

Several of my friends work for Toyota, either directly in their forklift factory, or in supply company's factories that make a lot of the brake and transmission components.

The US is a huge supplier of diesel engines, with International Harvester and Cummins both well represented in Indiana. My previous truck was a Super Duty, and it was built in Louisville with an Indianapolis sourced diesel motor.

GustavHalbach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    The US is a huge supplier of diesel engines, with International Harvester and Cummins both well represented in Indiana.

Uh, I hate to tell you this but while many Cummins engines may be ASSEMBLED in the U.S., they are made of parts mainly sourced from China and Mexico...and growing more so everyday.

-G

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Allen Edmonds and Alden are two companies that still make excellent shoes in the USA.

Roche makes the Accu-Chek Aviva blood glucose meter in the US. A lot of the test strips are made in Indianapolis!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    New Balance is an American company. About 20 odd percent of their tennis shoes are made in the United States. They have 6 factories here. The three different shoes I wear are New Balance and are all made in the United States. They do cost more but are well worth it. I was turned on to New Balance by my podiatrist for my **cked up feet.

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    Pharmaceuticals are WELL represented in Indiana, and I think Warsaw is home to several of the major biomedical implant companies (ie. replacement joints).

Also several Band instrument manufacturers up in Elkhart (ie. Conn-Selmer) along with the RV industry.

And a goodly size chunk of the US Steel industry is up in NW Indiana too.

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    RE: Cars

Is a Ford made in Canada an American car?

Is a Subaru made in Indiana an American car?

Motorcyclists use the word "metric" to mean "foreign." A Harley is American because you can work on it with a 3/16" wrench. A Honda is foreign because you need an 11mm wrench. Ignore the fact that the same Chinese slaves make the parts for both.

It does appear, though, that the situation is different with guns and ammo.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My Super Duty was made in Louisville with a diesel engine made in Indianapolis. Now I've got a Ram, and it was built in the US.

Victory motorcycles are made in the US, as are most Polaris ATVs.

At least some Altima and Red Wing boots are made in the US, not sure if all of them are.

Ball, the makers of canning supplies, has factories both foreign and domestic.

Years ago I heard a comedian on Bob and Tom say the only way you could be sure your money would stay in the US Economy was to take a prostitute to a yard sale and then watch a high school football game...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If you do research into the ownership of the American Named Company, you will likely fine it is owned by a Corporation in another Country. Sad, but it is true.

Some Brands in the Swiss Watch Industry is good at this lie.
    Wow, forgot about this thread.

My point was that what is defined as "made in America" is highly blurred today thanks to economic/industrial globalization.

While your vehicle might be ASSEMBLED here in Indiana, it likely had part A shipped from Canada and Part B shipped from Europe. Then, the company who made Part A probably bought the resources from a steel company in Mexico.

The point is that nothing is truely 100% "American made" anymore in the sense it was once defined. Previously, "American made" was something to the effective of; raw resources mined/produced IN America, used to manufacter a product IN America, to assemble a final product IN America, to be sold to people IN America, with the owners of all the mentioned parties being American.

Today, there is no such thing as truely "American made." As long as ONE portion (no matter how small it is) of this process is conducting by Americans, it can claim that title even though the people largely still assume the previous definition to be true. So, I can make it entirely somewhere else, ship it here, engrave something on it and call it "American made" because the product was not "ready for sale" until after that final step of our defined process.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom