Things I saw at Walmart in a 20 min. visit.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hey, I always do that too. I'd much rather have back more bills instead of a ton of loose change.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Why do people even still use cash? That's what confuses me. Just swipe the card and be done with it. It's easier for everybody, and it doesn't leave you with coins rattling around in your pocket only to be lost later on. Not to mention that several credit card companies these days give you various percentages back, so you actually spend less by using the card instead of cash. (OK, yes, I understand some people don't have the self-control not to overspend and/or pay off the bill each month, and for those people, yeah, better not to use a credit card, but at least a debit card would still be faster and avoid the same problem.)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Why do people even still use cash?

A couple reasons for me...
    I don't like paying for it if I don't have cash in hand to back it up.
    I don't like a paper trail leading to me, whether it's ammo or toothpaste...it's nobody else's bidnezz.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Why do people even still use cash? That's what confuses me. Just swipe the card and be done with it. It's easier for everybody, and it doesn't leave you with coins rattling around in your pocket only to be lost later on. Not to mention that several credit card companies these days give you various percentages back, so you actually spend less by using the card instead of cash. (OK, yes, I understand some people don't have the self-control not to overspend and/or pay off the bill each month, and for those people, yeah, better not to use a credit card, but at least a debit card would still be faster and avoid the same problem.)

swipe the card for $1.18 every morning? :n00b:
    yeah that makes sense.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    swipe the card for $1.18 every morning? :n00b:
    yeah that makes sense.

What are you buying daily for a buck-eighteen that you can't buy less often in larger quantities? (You don't really have to answer, but that is an odd habit in my mind.)

And yes, I do swipe the card for purchases that cost that little. The main reason is that I don't even carry cash. If I want Chinese food, I have to make a special trip to the ATM just so I can pay for my lunch! The other reason is that I get money back for every single purchase I put on the card, so I save money every single time I use it. Finally, cash can be stolen and not recovered; if my card is stolen, I call to cancel it and get a new one sent to me. They'll even void any unauthorized purchases made with my card. That's a win-win-win in my book.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I would like to not have to drive an extra 6 miles to shop at a store filled with people who have recently bathed, are familiar with basic dental hygiene, and dress their children in more than a soggy diaper. But the 10 minutes I would save would be more than offset by the experience.

Did you know that those twelve volt fattymobiles have horns? They do.
    I saw some quarter-ton princess actually honk at people who were apparently impeding her quest for calories.
    Repped for this one.

I have fun at wally world. I have sooooo many people to make fun of.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    c-c-c-c-c-c-coffee!
    That's my guess.

Well, that's probably the right guess. But I'd still suggest investing in a good travel mug and a coffeemaker! That'll also save money in the long run. And you can get better coffee than the McD's stuff (arbitrary example), too.

I carry cash, lots of it at any given time.

No, I'm not a rockefeller by any means, but if a GREAT deal on something I NEED is there, I want some anonymity as well as the ability to buy it on the spot. I'm not talking about the sweet little Coach luggage set for my neighbors Pomerianians, but a decent generator or welder comes along, darned skippy I'm snapping that baby up.

That's legit. It's a little different from using cash all the time, though. It'd be the same if I actually kept money in my wallet for the occasional Chinese food outing.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    What are you buying daily for a buck-eighteen that you can't buy less often in larger quantities? (You don't really have to answer, but that is an odd habit in my mind.)

And yes, I do swipe the card for purchases that cost that little. The main reason is that I don't even carry cash. If I want Chinese food, I have to make a special trip to the ATM just so I can pay for my lunch! The other reason is that I get money back for every single purchase I put on the card, so I save money every single time I use it. Finally, cash can be stolen and not recovered; if my card is stolen, I call to cancel it and get a new one sent to me. They'll even void any unauthorized purchases made with my card. That's a win-win-win in my book.

caffeine. I won't keep it in the house so I buy my daily dose in the morning. Odd habit, yes. I allow myself one pleasure a day, costs me a buck eighteen. :D
    most everything I buy, I use my debit card. Not in the mornings though.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Unfortunately, it seems to be. *sigh*
    I use to go to the Walmart in Franklin and watched a cashier count on her fingers to figure out my change. Ugh. I guess on the plus side, she did figure it out. :dunno:
    Most people use a calculator for the smallest of math computations. I chuckle when a friend pulls out his/her tip calculator. How hard is it to figure out 15 or 20%? Following this thread, it must be harder than I thought. That being said, I would think it is hard to find competent people to work retail, too.

People are definitely too reliant on calculators. I actually got reprimanded at work for not using some stupid form on the computer that did math for me. After I sat down with my boss and showed him that I could write out the form and do the math in my head in less time than I could type the info on the form, he finally gave in and let me do it my way.

I'm fine with others using it if they need to, just don't make me do it the stupid way when I have other crap sitting on my desk waiting to get done since the stupid ones were busy all day typing stuff into the form. I really think my job should require SAT scores as a condition of employment.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer

Have you ever had to actually go through the trouble of canceling a debit card and trying to get your money back?

You'd soon switch to cash if you had.

Not nearly as easy as it sounds. Find out your money is gone, call your bank, call your bank again, do some research, call the bank, stop by the bank, make an appointment, go to bank later, file charges with the police, go to bank...

Try to take my cash from my wallet that's in my purse hanging on my arm...then you have to deal directly with me.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Oh, I do realize that they are convient. After all these years of refusing to use a debit, I finally did get tired of filling up at the gas station and dealing with people wanting to scratch off their lottery tickets at the counter. But, other than that, I still only use cash.

Whether right or wrong, I just have this habit of associating the debit / credit cards with a cashless society and will probably struggle to use them as long as I can.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Have you ever had to actually go through the trouble of canceling a debit card and trying to get your money back?

You'd soon switch to cash if you had.

Not nearly as easy as it sounds. Find out your money is gone, call your bank, call your bank again, do some research, call the bank, stop by the bank, make an appointment, go to bank later, file charges with the police, go to bank...

Try to take my cash from my wallet that's in my purse hanging on my arm...then you have to deal directly with me.

Yep, I have. Lost my wallet on a vacation and had to replace everything therein. And I have had a few fraudulent charges removed already, even though I hadn't lost my card, so they sent me a new card. It's been quite easy in my case. I do notice, though, that you said "debit card". My experiences have been with losing my credit card, so perhaps that's an important difference.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Yep, I have. Lost my wallet on a vacation and had to replace everything therein. And I have had a few fraudulent charges removed already, even though I hadn't lost my card, so they sent me a new card. It's been quite easy in my case. I do notice, though, that you said "debit card". My experiences have been with losing my credit card, so perhaps that's an important difference.

True. Debit only for me. When it's real money, it hurts. I live paycheck to paycheck, and it sucks when you can't buy groceries or gas because some thief took your money.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    A couple reasons for me...
    I don't like paying for it if I don't have cash in hand to back it up.
    I don't like a paper trail leading to me, whether it's ammo or toothpaste...it's nobody else's bidnezz.
    YUP!!
    If I can't pay for it in cash.
    I don't need it!!

AND!!!!
    Paper trails are EVIL!!
    The Feds already know too much about us. :noway:
    Mike

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    That is why I go at around 8:30 on Saturday mornings. Then I do not have to deal with all the morons. I deal with enough of them outside of Chinamart. As for the big women in daisy dukes. They are trying to attract the brothers, and Mexicans. They likes them some ghetto booty!

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Geez I am more worried about the poor little kid who fell out of the cart and hit his poor little head. That had to hurt. :rolleyes:
    Poor kid. I hope his little brain didnt get hurt.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    The Beech Grove Speedway gas station is almost as good for freak watching.

Today, I was treated to this vision of a poseur Harley douche: Big-ass 12" Bowie knife strapped to his belt. Cowboy boots with spurs. :rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The Beech Grove Speedway gas station is almost as good for freak watching.

Today, I was treated to this vision of a poseur Harley douche: Big-ass 12" Bowie knife strapped to his belt. Cowboy boots with spurs. :rockwoot:

Was he OCing his glock on a drop holster?

What was the douche like part about him?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom