• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DriverAndrew

Marksman
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    I don't understand how someone can buy a new gun, lets say a Daniel Defense M4, for say $1799+, never fire it, only take it out and look at it, and later on they get in a bind, they go to sell it, and they ask $1500. What happened to $300+ worth of value? And before you say they don't do that, I want to point out that buyers and sellers in the classifieds seem to expect a substantial discount even on new/unfired guns. A very few firearms seem to go up in value from retail. Most everything I'm seeing is down from retail.

I don't understand how people selling their guns claim that they are unfired, and expect to be believed? Does Anyone go to that person and really buy the gun totally believing that claim? I buy guns from dealers that are 'new' and I often wonder if the store owner had a day of fun with it before cleaning it and putting it back on the display wall.

I don't understand why anyone would not fire a gun they bought, unless they just haven't gotten around to it yet. Do people really buy a gun with intentions to NEVER fire it? Why? Brain Damage? :):

I don't understand why a Never-fired gun is inherently better than a lightly and carefully used gun. Provided the gun has been taken care of and looks and functions as new, is there any substantial difference from being like new? Can anyone do a blind test on two identical guns, one new and never fired, and the other nearly new, lightly used a bit and then cleaned, and tell ANY difference?

I don't understand why Americans like Dr. Who, when we have so many domestic sci-fi shows of our own going back decades? Seems anti-american to me... Take that Tardis off your dashboard and put an Enterprise on there, for Spock's sake! :):

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A used firearm for sale should be at least 10% under retail IMO unless the gun is out of production or in permanent short supply for other reasons. Why on earth would I buy a gun someone says is LNIB when for the same money I can just buy NIB. In my mind there is no difference between firing one shot, one magazine or only 100 rds through a gun, used is used. LNIB is the gun equivalent of 'Only driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady'. Caveat Emptor

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Some people do just buy firearms and put them in a safe. It's more common when a brand is changing hands or going out of business. Changes, or expected ones, in the law will drive this as well. I always figure that if you want the real value of something look at the end numbers on no reserve GB auctions where a sale actually takes place.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I have a Glock Gen4 17, Sig P220R and a Springfield MC Operator that have yet to be fired. I enjoy owning them and yes they will one day see the range. Life gets in the way most of the time but their there If I decide to shoot them. Not a big deal to me but I realize most people don't understand this but everyone's different I guess.

If I decided to sell them then yes, they would go at a discount from new price.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Every gun is different and I make up my mind what I want to buy.
    I'm pretty knowledgeable with firearms and can see and feel damage or wear usually.
    I have NIB guns in the safes that won't ever be fired by me. They'll most likely end up with my kids or friends when I'm gone. I don't give a sh## at that point anyway.
    Some guns mean something to me and I'll keep them forever. Others may be great guns but hold no sentiment or special place.
    Always shop around for the best deal. You'll find prices that vary greatly and stories that stretch those boundaries as well.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    A used firearm for sale should be at least 10% under retail IMO unless the gun is out of production or in permanent short supply for other reasons. Why on earth would I buy a gun someone says is LNIB when for the same money I can just buy NIB. In my mind there is no difference between firing one shot, one magazine or only 100 rds through a gun, used is used. LNIB is the gun equivalent of 'Only driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady'. Caveat Emptor

Out of curiosity, do you figure in sales tax on retail pricing, or is your 10% below retail before sales tax is added in?

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Some people just buy guns and never shoot them. Guy I work with has three new rifles from last year, has yet to chamber a round in them. But he says he has a few thousand rounds for each one and they are for when SHTF. Two even have scopes, albeit cheap ones. I suggested he may want to at least sight them in.

Baba Looey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    You can use vehicles as an analogy. Buy a new vehicle, drive it for a month, take it back and trade it, you're not going to get new price. If you're talking a classic vehicle out of production then it's all about supply and demand and how badly a person wants it. Another example would be the cost of full auto weapons - limited supply - high demand. By the way I believe all firearms are fired before leaving the manufacturer.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I recently (last night) posted in another thread, that I currently own 3 AR's that have not made it to the range yet.......and one of them won't, as I bought it as an investment piece.
    It's an LWRC Spartan in black, they only made 100 of them in black and 300 in FDE. Funny you should mention DD, because one of the other two is a DD, and the other is a Bravo Company.
    Yes, some of us do buy guns and stick them in the safe, like someone else mentioned, life gets in the way sometimes. The DD and Bravo Co. I do intend to shoot, just haven't yet.

fefe2286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2016
    delphi
    Arthur Dent this is true. my father is this way has three safes loaded. some he has fired but other he's had since i was a young gurl. now i find my self doing the same thing as well

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I have loved Dr. Who since 1974. That was when there were no special effects and a good story and your imagination carried the day.

Id say easily 90% of my guns are unfired. If I buy a case of ak47's I don't feel a need to shoot one or all of them. Why I've shot an ak47 many times just like an ar15 just like a 1911 etc etc.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I understand the idea of buying an unfired or rare gun as an investment. However, I doubt that I will ever do so for two reasons. I don't think I'll ever have the money to buy a piece of that quality, and even if I did the temptation to shoot it would be too strong. My guns are all inexpensive tools, and the couple of older/collectible knives I have I got great deals on because they are not pristine.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't understand why anyone would not fire a gun they bought, unless they just haven't gotten around to it yet. Do people really buy a gun with intentions to NEVER fire it? Why? Brain Damage? :):

It is not uncommon. To many, firearms are simply totems like tac pants or beards.

Self-identification, Cargo cult b.s., whatever you want to call it. It is present in the gun culture and it is foolish to deny it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There are "Shooters"...and then there are "Gun Owners." I would estimate the "Owners" outnumber the "Shooters" by at least 10:1.

Life does get in the way. However: I notice many of these folks with safes full of unfired guns seldom miss an episode of "Walking Dead." I get an earful of it at work every day. It's just a matter of priorities. You have to want to get a few rounds in before dark, on a weeknight, more than you want to see that TeeVee show.

Top Bottom