• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sometimes you buy something when times are good and you expect to be able to enjoy it. Then all of a sudden the stuff hits the proverbial fan for you or your family and you need cash NOW. That is why you would take an $1800 firearm that is basically untouched in the box and sell it for $1500. You need the money, and giving someone a great deal puts money in your hands when you need it. Might not be something you want to do, but something you have to do.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Out of curiosity, do you figure in sales tax on retail pricing, or is your 10% below retail before sales tax is added in?

Before sales tax. I am comparing apples to apples. Tax and/or transfer fees figure into whether the overall price is one I am willing to pay, but when I ballpark whether a price is reasonable I usually only have a good idea of the available retail price (not MSRP) of what I am looking at (aquired by seeing what my usual sources want for something if they sell it or have it in stock)

So say store x has something I'm considering for $400 and GhostActual is selling one for $400. GhostActual's should be priced more like $360. I think the point you want to make is that the new gun will actually cost $430 with tax and if we're from the same state GhostActuals will only cost $400 in an FTF. But thirty dollars is not enough of a discount to make me select used over never used. It gets worse if GhostActual is in another state, then typically $25 to ship and my FFL charges (me) $15 to process so we're talking $440. If that was the case even $360 wouldn't be low enough to make me choose unknown provenance over nice and new. The decision for me is very much fluid because I also acknowledge that my LGS need to make some money off me to stay healthy so I don't require absolute parity.

Unfortunately, I can envision a state that this country could achieve, possibly next November, that would make me value a FTF sale a lot more highly

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have loved Dr. Who since 1974. That was when there were no special effects and a good story and your imagination carried the day.

I liked Tom Baker best. I actually liked Dave Tennant 2nd best. 'Eldrad must live' :)

Id say easily 90% of my guns are unfired. If I buy a case of ak47's I don't feel a need to shoot one or all of them. Why I've shot an ak47 many times just like an ar15 just like a 1911 etc etc.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't understand why, that on the occasions I have purchased a lottery ticket, each and every time it has been defective.

I don't understand why the seller will not refund my money or replace the bad ticket with a good ticket.

I don't understand why my plan to become a petro-millionaire has yet to reach fruition.

I don't understand why people allow cats inside of their homes other than to eliminate vermin.

I don't understand how people can carry less than three knives on their person.

I don't understand why Pillsbury frozen biscuits are so much better than their biscuits that come in the tube that you pop open.

I don't understand why everyone doesn't recognize that individual liberty is a commodity whose value is second only to life itself, and arguably more valuable in some circumstance. Similarly, I don't understand why people think it's okay to compromise someone else's liberty in order to enact their own agenda.

I don't understand a lot of things.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I don't understand how someone can buy a new gun, lets say a Daniel Defense M4, for say $1799+, never fire it, only take it out and look at it, and later on they get in a bind, they go to sell it, and they ask $1500. What happened to $300+ worth of value? And before you say they don't do that, I want to point out that buyers and sellers in the classifieds seem to expect a substantial discount even on new/unfired guns. A very few firearms seem to go up in value from retail. Most everything I'm seeing is down from retail.

I don't understand how people selling their guns claim that they are unfired, and expect to be believed? Does Anyone go to that person and really buy the gun totally believing that claim? I buy guns from dealers that are 'new' and I often wonder if the store owner had a day of fun with it before cleaning it and putting it back on the display wall.

I don't understand why anyone would not fire a gun they bought, unless they just haven't gotten around to it yet. Do people really buy a gun with intentions to NEVER fire it? Why? Brain Damage? :):

I don't understand why a Never-fired gun is inherently better than a lightly and carefully used gun. Provided the gun has been taken care of and looks and functions as new, is there any substantial difference from being like new? Can anyone do a blind test on two identical guns, one new and never fired, and the other nearly new, lightly used a bit and then cleaned, and tell ANY difference?

I don't understand why Americans like Dr. Who, when we have so many domestic sci-fi shows of our own going back decades? Seems anti-american to me... Take that Tardis off your dashboard and put an Enterprise on there, for Spock's sake! :):

Go head and try to sell a used gun even if not shot at MSRP in the classifieds once you get 50 Quality posts...... see where that gets ya a bumped ad forever.:popcorn:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    There are "Shooters"...and then there are "Gun Owners." I would estimate the "Owners" outnumber the "Shooters" by at least 10:1.

Life does get in the way. However: I notice many of these folks with safes full of unfired guns seldom miss an episode of "Walking Dead." I get an earful of it at work every day. It's just a matter of priorities. You have to want to get a few rounds in before dark, on a weeknight, more than you want to see that TeeVee show.

Life does get in the way but having a safe full of unfired guns does not indicate how much some one shoots. I have many unfired guns but shoot more rounds per year than many "shooters" that I know...informal practice, weekly league, USPSA, Steel Challenge, weekly group shoot, etc. And I have never seen an episode of "Walking Dead ".

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Truer words have never been spoken on INGO!
    I don't understand why Pillsbury frozen biscuits are so much better than their biscuits that come in the tube that you pop open.

oh yeah, and this too...
    I don't understand why everyone doesn't recognize that individual liberty is a commodity whose value is second only to life itself, and arguably more valuable in some circumstance. Similarly, I don't understand why people think it's okay to compromise someone else's liberty in order to enact their own agenda.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    A Good Friend 50+ years collects Winchester Rifles and Colt Handguns. He had a FFL in the 70's'80's. He has a Safe full of Guns he's never fired. I sold him a Colt that I bought from him New. I owned that Revolver over 25 years and never fired it. I'd still have it had he not asked to buy it. I preferd my 1911's over the Wheel Gun as Shooters.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I don't understand how someone can buy a new gun, lets say a Daniel Defense M4, for say $1799+, never fire it, only take it out and look at it, and later on they get in a bind, they go to sell it, and they ask $1500. What happened to $300+ worth of value? And before you say they don't do that, I want to point out that buyers and sellers in the classifieds seem to expect a substantial discount even on new/unfired guns. A very few firearms seem to go up in value from retail. Most everything I'm seeing is down from retail.

I don't understand how people selling their guns claim that they are unfired, and expect to be believed? Does Anyone go to that person and really buy the gun totally believing that claim? I buy guns from dealers that are 'new' and I often wonder if the store owner had a day of fun with it before cleaning it and putting it back on the display wall.

I don't understand why anyone would not fire a gun they bought, unless they just haven't gotten around to it yet. Do people really buy a gun with intentions to NEVER fire it? Why? Brain Damage? :):

I don't understand why a Never-fired gun is inherently better than a lightly and carefully used gun. Provided the gun has been taken care of and looks and functions as new, is there any substantial difference from being like new? Can anyone do a blind test on two identical guns, one new and never fired, and the other nearly new, lightly used a bit and then cleaned, and tell ANY difference?

I don't understand why Americans like Dr. Who, when we have so many domestic sci-fi shows of our own going back decades? Seems anti-american to me... Take that Tardis off your dashboard and put an Enterprise on there, for Spock's sake! :):

Hey!
    You leave Star Wars out of this! :xmad:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I don't understand why people can't think through basic life questions by themselves to figure things out.

I don't understand why someone would think that I could buy something, keep it for a while, and then turn-around and sell it for exactly what they paid for it. I would expect to pay less than retail for anything bought after someone else owned it. Seems like a simple concept.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    taxes and background checks. Alot of people dont want either. If you do 10% of the retail price, you are actually about 17% low without taxes. Factor in if you had the gun shipped to an ffl then you have transfer fee. Buy what you want, sell it at whatever price you want. people want to sell their guns fast instead of wait around and hagle for the full price, why not lose 100 and move it fast? Thats up to the person. so what? Its your gain right?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't understand why, that on the occasions I have purchased a lottery ticket, each and every time it has been defective.

I don't understand why the seller will not refund my money or replace the bad ticket with a good ticket.

I don't understand why my plan to become a petro-millionaire has yet to reach fruition.

I don't understand why people allow cats inside of their homes other than to eliminate vermin.

I don't understand how people can carry less than three knives on their person.

I don't understand a lot of things.
    I don't understand much of what you don't understand.
    One thing I have learned about frozen biscuits is....The frozen biscuits in the Package from WalMart are a whole lot better than either one you mentioned. Cheaper too.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    People have different reasons. It is America, We CAN have different reasons. In 2003 My buddy bought the fanciest Harley Ultra Glide, I bought a Kawasaki Concours. I traded mine off a few years later with 140,000 miles on it. He still has that anniversary bike, with less than 100 miles on it, in storage. I enjoyed mine by touring the country, he enjoys his by taking the cover off and looking at it. No harm, no foul. If he ever decides to sell his, I'll bet he makes a profit. I figure I already enjoyed the profit from mine.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    And I thought this was going to be a thread about things that you don't understand in general?? Boy am I disappointed and have volumes to say about the things I don't understand. Guess if I want that thread I'll have to go to the break room and start it.

[FONT=&amp]
    From my Army days:

Beginner: learns the rules
    Intermediate: applies the rules
    Proficient: understands the rules
    Expert: understands when the rules don't apply

The topic at hand was explosives, BTW, frankly more dangerous and easier to screw up than guns.
    [/FONT]

Top Bottom