• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eagle_Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    I always keep a chest freezer full of meat. All meat vacuum sealed and I always write the date that I froze it, in perm, marker. Also about 10 cases of canned and not perisheable items, and always write the experiation date on top. When i see something is close to the date, I use it, "rotation". A kerosene heater and container of kerosene. Always a flashlight by my bed. I bought a 12 dollar light that plugs in the wall and turns on when the power goes out.
    Weapons: Always a nine mm in a finger operated safe next to my bed when i sleep. A 12 gauge with a tactical light so I can deal with anyone outside my house when it is dark. I have more guns but those are the two that are always ready in the home.
    Water: 2 15 gallon food grade drums with the proper amount of bleach to protect it. I change the water every 6 months.
    Money: always a large sum in my home in an extremely difficult place to find, in case of a problem with the banks.
    Phone: always have a cell phone. this is actually a very helpful preparedness tool for many occasions.
    Al R.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Keeping any amount of cash on hand is a bad idea; it's de-valuing constantly, and no matter how big a pile of it you've got squirrelled away, you can't fight inflation. Much better to turn it into items which hold value but which are still at least somewhat liquid.

Also, more water is needed...by a couple of orders of magnitude... say, 1,500 gallons might be quantity sufficient for a few months in a true 'the world is roasted and we're this close from being wrapped up in aluminum-foil and tossed along with it' situation, but 30 gallons won't do much at all.

Cell phones will be useless in something big enough to disrupt former daily life.

Freezer is a good idea, but without power, you've got a week, tops, before things start to rot; smoking and salting meat is a better idea, but is a skill which must be learned with a little effort.

However, this is a good start, and I'm glad to see that you take this type of thing seriously. Keep up the storage and slowly continue to increase supplies as you're able, and in no time you should have a good stash of necessaries.

:yesway:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I agree

I agree with evilthompsongunner. You need more water on hand plus a plan to purify more. Have a plan for your meat if the power goes out. I keep a lot of frozen venison. If SHTF and the power is out, my plan is to fire up the gas grill, the regular grill, the smoker and run my dehydrator off the generaor and start turning it all into jerky. Water wise, you might want to look at something like a non-electric distiller so that you can continue to purify water after your stores run out.

You are doing well, but you need to keep expanding your capabilities.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Good preps. More is always better.

I think your idea of having cash on hand makes sense, but the cell phone is only good if the system is operational. On 9/11, I couldn't get a cell call out ("all circuits are busy...").

I'd add some good sleeping bags to the list. They're especially nice when the power is out. Also good clothing for each person: goretex jackets, goretex boots, layers of clothes. Don't go too cheap on this stuff.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Welcome to the survival group Al! :welcome: Your choice to start prepping, makes you ahead of most. Look back in previous post and get a feel for what others have in thier larder.

My chosen way to build up reserves has been to dehydrate, and can. I also do a lot of vacume sealing in both Mason jars and bags. :twocents:

Feel free to ask around, the advice is good and opinions abound! Keep adding to your stash and " keep your powder dry":patriot: Don

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Whaaaaaaa?

That's...

I hope you were not serious. If you were :nuts:.

I hope you're not old enough to buy ammo.

:+1:

LOTS OF AMMO YOU CAN ALWAYS TAKE SOMEONES FOOD AND WATER THAT DID NOT PREPAIR TO DEFENT THEIR FOOD AND WATER

To the OP.... :welcome: 2 :ingo: Good for you ... packing it away.

To Buck Hinkle, you pick which of these fit better, but if you come to my or my families place looking for an easy over-throw, you will have another thing coming you ......that would be criminal and against God's Law!!!!

:n00b: :alcoholic: :ugh: :nono: :rules: :facepalm: :faint: :fawk: :wtf: :dumbass:

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Arrrrrrrr!?

But seriously, if I see someone (BUCK) creeping around peaceful folks that have no way to protect their lives and property, I'm kind of obligated to stop the creep. Do you know what I mean BUCKY?.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Arrrrrrrr!?

LOL, I had a feeling that was coming.

Buck, you need to think this through. Welcome to INGO and all that stuff, but please, think this through. You can't base your plans for survival by pillaging other people's homes. Its a pretty lousy idea to begin with, since you're likely to get shot & killed in the process of invading someone else's property. To stoop to that level makes a man no better than an armed robber. Wisen up.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Having a good stock of Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, Epson Salts, Cotton Balls, Petroleum Jelly (you can dip the cotton balls in the jelly to make one spark tender), bandages, gauze, thread, and needles.

I would rather have this stuff than a large supply of food. You can live for a long time on just water, and you can forage for food. Dieing from infected wounds would not be fun.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm pretty sure talking like a pirate will get you banned around here.

Banned? No, in and of itself, this violates no INGO rules. It is a really fast way to get to see what happens when your rep meter goes negative, though.

Just sayin'...

reputation_red.gif
    reputation_red.gif
    reputation_red.gif
    reputation_red.gif
    reputation_red.gif
    reputation_redh.gif
    reputation_redh.gif
    reputation_redh.gif
    reputation_redh.gif
    reputation_redh.gif

Blessings,
    Bill

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Think

Try to think outside the box. Everyone is prepping vs. someone else trying to take their stockpile. SHTF will last as long as the zombies can go without food and water. After that it will jsut be other preppers. You can't seriously think that other preppers aren't ready to defend their stockpile. Instead, try to be the guy with something to trade. We all have MRE's and Mountain House products. Try to be the guy with a case of maple syrup or jugs of home made wine or home grown peppers. Have stuff to trade with the other preppers. Counting on taking other people's stuff is a losing strategy.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Please tell me that you're joking, Buck.

If not, then all I can say is if you or yours try to relieve me or mine of anything we don't wish to donate, I suggest you bring lots of bandages and gauze to the party. I see a serious case of lead posioning coming your way.

Help, yes if possible. Become volunteer victims, ain't happening.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Having a good stock of Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, Epson Salts, Cotton Balls, Petroleum Jelly (you can dip the cotton balls in the jelly to make one spark tender), bandages, gauze, thread, and needles.
    You forgot antibiotic ointment:)
    Try to be the guy with a case of maple syrup or jugs of home made wine or home grown peppers. Have stuff to trade with the other preppers. Counting on taking other people's stuff is a losing strategy.
    EXCELENT! This thread has already gotten me there. Thinking about the things I have that I had never connected to the topic. Things like hand tools (I've got several of everything), fishing gear(again, just about everything ever made for bass and catfish times 10), liquor, a couple hundred furniture moving pads(very heavy blankets), more 20ft lengths of 3/8 inch chain than I could break in 2 lifetimes, even the big pile of various size and shaped scrap steel beyond the tree line out back could actually be of value when things have been tough for a while........

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    If we're talking about a civilisation altering event like the Yellowstone Caldera popping loose we are talking long term. Long term to me means rebuilding society (Hopefully better) not living as a marauder.

Top Bottom