• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    As a kid I cooked Kentucky Fried Chicken in a Gino's Restaurant, I was lucky enough to meet the Colonel one day I was working.. I often wonder what he would say about all these " New Colonel's" this past year..

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So much i would like to say.....so many bannable things......

:laugh:

KFC isn't my preferred chicken shack (honey flavored syrup?!), but if they're willing to call out cargo pants as dumb...

[video=youtube;Dh2rHsxYh6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh2rHsxYh6U[/video]

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When I was a kid I loved the BBQ, but then they went to the honey BBQ stuff. It's just not the same. I hope that bring back the old original some day.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    When I was a kid we used to see the Colonel quite a bit...He owned the local franchises and would stop in....My mom rode an elevator with him back in the 1970's at a Louisville hospital where they were both seeing the same Doctor...He was very approachable, is from Henryville, IN, and his nephews still own the main hardware store in Scottsburg....I will share a neat Colonel story that was told to me by a guy I used to work with...Thomas was not prone to storytelling and was a very successful young man who grew up in a rough part of Louisville and counts this moment as an impetus for him to work hard and to believe in his dreams and himself....

When Thomas was about 13 or 14 he got a job at a KFC in Louisville owned by Sanders...He had to get permission from his mom and it was only part time but it helped out at home..This happened about the time the Colonel was selling his franchise to John Y Brown (Governor of Kentucky and was married to a former Miss USA) and was taking some of Brown's employees around to the various franchises as the sale was being finalized...Thomas was preparing some chicken and said he didn't quite have it right and the Colonel took off his jacket, rolled up his sleeves and began to show Thomas the proper way to prepare the fryer...As he was doing this one of the young men with him kind of sneered (Thomas said there was no racial element to it, just disdain at his youth) and said to the Colonel, "How do you expect him to know anything????I bet he isn't even out of 8th grade yet.." And then he and the other suit started laughing...Thomas said he got embarrassed and just kind of hung his head down when all of a sudden the Colonel turned around and looked at Brown's two flunkies and said,(in a harsh tone) "Let me tell you two jackasses something...If it wasn't for hard working boys with just 8th grade educations you college boys wouldn't have a *&^&^%& job..." He then looked down at Thomas and said, "Don't ever think anyone is any better that you are...You work hard, never give up and there ain't nothing in the world you can't accomplish..."

Thomas went on to graduate from U of L and attributes much of the success he has had in his life to that one brush with the Colonel as a kid...

As best as I can recall and as told to me at Integrity mortgage, ca 2001 by Thomas Smith....

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    First job I ever had was at a KFC in New Albany. They didn't pay minimum wage as restaurants were exempt. I worked hard after school and on weekends, averaging 30 hours a week or more. I learned the value of a dollar and good work ethics. I later got a better job paying minimum wage before graduating from high school. The Colonel stopped by a few times, while I wasn't working, but as has been said, he reportedly didn't mind getting right in the middle of things and demonstrating how to do the job. He earned his fame and money, as well as, a great deal of respect. Today's comedy portrayals bother me some, but it's business.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom