The wife started prepping today and she didn't even realize it until I told her.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    We have discussed getting some chickens for a while. My wife had some as a child and has wanted more for a couple years now. I told her okay but she never followed through with it until now. We went yesterday to the local farming supply store to pick up a couple things and they were having"chic days". She said she wanted some but we had other things to do yesterday so she couldn't get them right then. When we got home last night she spent about 2 or 3 hours researching them more and started telling me how many eggs they will lay and how we can butcher them after they quit laying etc.. and I just smiled. She went back this morning to get them. When she got back I asked her how it went and looked at her and said, hey you know how you thought I was crazy about stocking food, water, ammo, etc...? She says yeah? So I proceeded to tell her that she just began prepping and didn't even realize it. :D So after we talked for a minute and I explained to her that prepping is along the same concept of why she bought the chickens she was like oh I guess your right. :laugh: Now she don't think I'm so crazy anymore for wanting to be prepared. :rockwoot:

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    I got denied of the chicken thing. Maybe if our daughter (lil princess that gets everyhting she wishes) asks for some it'll be allright. Time to work my powers.

gundoggermax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Just wait until the first time you have to push their rectums back into their butts so the other chickens dont pluck at it

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I'm trying to persuade my wife to get bunnies to raise for food and fur. A word of advice: don't call them bunnies.

Muzzleloaderbill

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Ligonier
    We have 8 chickens. Got them from a guy at work last year. That started the ball rolling or should I say egg. Anyway the wife went got 24 more chicks yesterday. Time to build a bigger chicken coup.

Buckshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Tipton, County
    Having chickens is a great thing. I realy enjoy them but they are hell on the landscaping.. I let them free range during the day and they have made one big mess.. been getting 1 to 2 dozen eggs a day. Guess I need to think about geting rid of a few. looks like the freezer will get filled back up.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I honestly don't think I would have the time for chickens, but I jokingly mentioned the idea to the GF this morning and it was quickly shot down.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I honestly don't think I would have the time for chickens, but I jokingly mentioned the idea to the GF this morning and it was quickly shot down.

We spend less than an hour a day tending to our chickens, if you are doing more than that you are likely going to have pet chickens instead of farm animals.

The benefits far outweigh the "work" they clean up food scraps, eat bugs, clean up bird seed the birds waste, fertilize your yard and garden, eat some grass, till your garden. Even our neighbors enjoy them coming over so their yards can benefit from our chickens.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    We spend less than an hour a day tending to our chickens, if you are doing more than that you are likely going to have pet chickens instead of farm animals.
    True. I don't think with my current location having chickens is even an option (I would need to look), but maybe once I get a lot more stuff off my plate I will entertain the idea.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I wanted to get chickens a few years ago... wife was like :n00b: :dunno:

Fast forward a year and my wife is making cakes & cupcakes and we consume a few dozen eggs a week sometimes and my wife is like :D Lets get chickens...

Unfortunately, it's just not the right timing for us yet... I don't have time to take care of them and she doesn't have a clue how to do so. I've been putting it off... but give me a few years...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

The benefits far outweigh the "work" they clean up food scraps, eat bugs, clean up bird seed the birds waste, fertilize your yard and garden, eat some grass, till your garden. Even our neighbors enjoy them coming over so their yards can benefit from our chickens.

Same here. The initial prep and set-up was labor intensive. And as little chicks in the brooder, they took a lot more care and attention. But upon moving them to the coop outside, about the only thing I do is feed and water every morning or as needed, collect eggs, and count heads at night when I shut them in. The coop gets cleaned as needed.

True. I don't think with my current location having chickens is even an option (I would need to look), but maybe once I get a lot more stuff off my plate I will entertain the idea.

You can have chickens in Indy, but apparently not in Speedway proper.

7.05.140 Keeping farm animals.

It shall be unlawful for any person to own, keep, or harbor upon his premises within the town any cow, pig, bull, horse, chicken, rooster, or other domestic farm animal. (Ord. 950 §1(part), 2001).

Commies. :xmad:

I wanted to get chickens a few years ago... wife was like :n00b: :dunno:

Fast forward a year and my wife is making cakes & cupcakes and we consume a few dozen eggs a week sometimes and my wife is like :D Lets get chickens...

Unfortunately, it's just not the right timing for us yet... I don't have time to take care of them and she doesn't have a clue how to do so. I've been putting it off... but give me a few years...

What's to know? That might be oversimplifying just a little bit, but if you're just talking the day-to-day care and maintenance activities, can she lug a water pail and feed scooper? If so, she can care for the chickens. :):

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What's to know? That might be oversimplifying just a little bit, but if you're just talking the day-to-day care and maintenance activities, can she lug a water pail and feed scooper? If so, she can care for the chickens. :):
    With me being gone it's just not going to happen. I'm sure she is capable, but she doesn't have the confidence to do it without my guidance. She's a city-girl that I'm slowly teaching how to be a country-girl. I'd rather wait until we get into our permanent house too. Our current house is only meant to be temporary for the time being.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    With me being gone it's just not going to happen. I'm sure she is capable, but she doesn't have the confidence to do it without my guidance. She's a city-girl that I'm slowly teaching how to be a country-girl. I'd rather wait until we get into our permanent house too. Our current house is only meant to be temporary for the time being.

So really what you're saying is that she wants nothing to do with it. :D

Top Bottom