The wife started prepping today and she didn't even realize it until I told her.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    well so far so good, everybody is doing there part of taking care of the chics or at least helping entertain them, except our dog. She isn't too fond of them. lol

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The closest my wife comes to chickens is buying them in nugget form.

Hell, I can't even think of the last time she researched ANYTHING. She just has no natural curiosity or spirit of independance.

She used to consider herself "independant" because she liked to do what she wanted free of consequences. I can't convince her that's not the same thing.

She has ALWAYS had to rely on other people for pretty much everything.

prepper24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had a similar moment with my husband. He was prepping and didn't even realize it. One day out of the blue he states, "I think I'm going to start buying ammo for all my dad's guns. If anything ever happened we'd need to get them and he doesn't have much ammo." I was just grinning at him. I told him, this is exactly what I've been talking about and you keep teasing me about you. I've got you thinking like that too! Its nice to be able to work together on this.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Well, not really that, she just wants nothing to do with forging ahead on her own... she wants guidance and help, and I can't really provide much of that at the moment.
    Wow... guess I had no clue how she felt about forging ahead on her own...

She emailed me today and said the baby chickens were so cute at TSC and she wants some... she plans to have her dad build a coop for them next week when he visits her...

I guess she is going to forge ahead on her own... and I didn't even prompt it... she emailed me out of the blue wanting to get chickens...

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Wow... guess I had no clue how she felt about forging ahead on her own...

She emailed me today and said the baby chickens were so cute at TSC and she wants some... she plans to have her dad build a coop for them next week when he visits her...

I guess she is going to forge ahead on her own... and I didn't even prompt it... she emailed me out of the blue wanting to get chickens...

LMAO, so how are the chickens doing?

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I wish I could have chickens, but I believe the town of Pendleton has local laws against them inside city limits. I may have to have a conversation with the town council.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Basement Chickens

keep them in your basement

You first! We used to have Chickens, Ducks and Turkeys. The coop smelled horribly. But I miss them. We had all the eggs we ever needed. And The meat while never pumped up like the grocery store, Tasted superb. I got to teach my children and Scout troop about the measure of a chickens creation. Unfortunately we now reside in a Fascist community that does not allow them. We plan on moving back to the country next year. I will be building a coop first thing.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    LMAO, so how are the chickens doing?
    Doing good. She got 3 of the mixed Bantams from TSC. 1 died, the other two have turned out to be what we think are roosters, but the size of pigeons or doves... Those are hers...

For me, she also picked up 3 Barred Rocks, 3 mixed breed "frizzles" that didn't turn out to be frizzles at all, and 3 Buff Orpingtons. 1 of those 9 died the first day but we're not sure if it was a mixed frizzle or a BO. Still can't tell because only 1 of those 5 looks different from a BO. 2 of the BR's turned out to be roosters.

So we have 3 BR's but only 1 BR hen, 2-3 BO hens, and 2-3 mixed breed hens. Based upon when she got them I'm guessing they should probably start laying in about 4 weeks.

All-in-all what that means is we have 6 layers that should be starting up in a month or so, 2 roosters of which we will enjoy the meanest one in the soup pot, and 2 useless pigeon-like birds that are "SOOO CUTE" in the words of my wife. I'm pretty excited for eggs and so far the roosters haven't gotten mean, although I tried to pick one up the other night to get him back in the coop and he tried pecking me pretty aggressively; he got a little bit of a lesson on who is dominate.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I wish I could have chickens, but I believe the town of Pendleton has local laws against them inside city limits. I may have to have a conversation with the town council.
    My property has C&R's on it that say no poultry but w/o a HOA to enforce them and neighbors that don't mind the chickens we're doing just fine.

I actually had the new neighbors ask me if I had any eggs for sale...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Doing good. She got 3 of the mixed Bantams from TSC. 1 died, the other two have turned out to be what we think are roosters, but the size of pigeons or doves... Those are hers...

For me, she also picked up 3 Barred Rocks, 3 mixed breed "frizzles" that didn't turn out to be frizzles at all, and 3 Buff Orpingtons. 1 of those 9 died the first day but we're not sure if it was a mixed frizzle or a BO. Still can't tell because only 1 of those 5 looks different from a BO. 2 of the BR's turned out to be roosters.

So we have 3 BR's but only 1 BR hen, 2-3 BO hens, and 2-3 mixed breed hens. Based upon when she got them I'm guessing they should probably start laying in about 4 weeks.

All-in-all what that means is we have 6 layers that should be starting up in a month or so, 2 roosters of which we will enjoy the meanest one in the soup pot, and 2 useless pigeon-like birds that are "SOOO CUTE" in the words of my wife. I'm pretty excited for eggs and so far the roosters haven't gotten mean, although I tried to pick one up the other night to get him back in the coop and he tried pecking me pretty aggressively; he got a little bit of a lesson on who is dominate.
    Well, I was expecting eggs in 3-4 weeks, not this past weekend...

Looks like 1 hen started laying. They're tiny little eggs, but they're eggs. She laid 1 yesterday while I was outside working. Took her 2 hours to do the deed but she finally finished and I was able to take a warm egg into my wife and tell her that is the freshest egg she will ever get.

Top Bottom