• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Geez, I wonder how many of you guys have gotten past the first few pages of a book? Patience obviously isn't a strong suit to many guys in here. It's the FIRST episode for crying out loud. You can't expect the show to immediately jump into zombie infestations without a little bit of character development and tone setting. It answers questions now, so it won't have to answer them later (like twd flashbacks). Also with twd, things got ramped up quickly due to a very small, initially, cast.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And I call shenanigans. Ya'll are still going to watch, even if it's mediocre (which I seriously doubt it will be).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The new show sucks.

An hour of crappy drama featuring completely unappealing, non-compelling characters. Weak. Last half hour was moderately okay.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So who else thinks the smart daughter's boyfriend didn't show cause he's a zombie?

If a zombie eats someone tripping, does the zombie get high?

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Look, I agree that it crawled a bit... BUT I'm giving it more time.
    If it had the same feel as TWD it would bring both shows down.
    They have lightening in a bottle with TWD and just trying to do an exact repeat of that with the only difference being a couple of characters and location would be stale.
    Everybody in TWD were rural stick dwellers a.k.a. small town fend for yourself get things done types (Eugene not withstanding).
    The new group seems to be big city institution, rely on .gov types..... different mindset.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Defiance and Falling Skies are about over. You've heard your wife repeat the same things many times. What else are you going to do for an hour on Sunday night?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ?Fear the Walking Dead? Sets All-Time Cable Ratings Premiere Record | Variety

‘Fear the Walking Dead’ Sets All-Time Cable Ratings Premiere Record
    Nielsen estimates that the 90-minute debut of “Fear the Walking Dead” became the No. 1-rated cable series launch on record with 10.1 million viewers, including 6.3 million adults 18-49. In total viewers, “Fear” surpasses TNT’s “Raising the Bar” (7.7 million in 2008) as top dog among cable premieres.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    No surprise on those ratings. Even my son was glued to the screen and that's saying something since mostly watches **it on You Tube.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    And I call shenanigans. Ya'll are still going to watch, even if it's mediocre (which I seriously doubt it will be).

You are partially correct with me. Being post holocaust will always be a positive in my book, but I still have to bond with at least a character or two.

I can endure a two (2) hour post holocaust one time movie with characters I don't like, but a series week after week? Nuh-uh! Mucho harder to swallow.

If after several episodes I can't connect with at least a couple of the characters, this will be one I don't follow.

That said, you are 100% correct that this was only the premier and the stage is being set, so I will in all likelihood find someone I like. The little bit I have seen in a preview makes me think I WILL like the character played by Ruben Blades. Something in that scene caught my attention. He was good in Predator 2 even though he was the first cop to die.

Doug

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If you go back in this thread and read some early posts, lots of us were saying TWD was boring and spending too much time on character development. I watched FTWD with that in mind, didn't expect much craziness in the opening show. I'll give it time, hell, it's set in LA, it's gotta get pretty crazy as everything goes down the tubes.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Anybody thinking the mom is going to be the next Lori?

3q7k35.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

You are partially correct with me. Being post holocaust will always be a positive in my book, but I still have to bond with at least a character or two.

I can endure a two (2) hour post holocaust one time movie with characters I don't like, but a series week after week? Nuh-uh! Mucho harder to swallow.

If after several episodes I can't connect with at least a couple of the characters, this will be one I don't follow.

That said, you are 100% correct that this was only the premier and the stage is being set, so I will in all likelihood find someone I like. The little bit I have seen in a preview makes me think I WILL like the character played by Ruben Blades. Something in that scene caught my attention. He was good in Predator 2 even though he was the first cop to die.

Doug

Look at it this way, and obviously I'm by no means an scriptwriter. FTWD has to follow a pretty basic formula which, IMO, will hook the audience:
    -Character/setting intro
    -a curious problem
    -we have a hint of what the problem is
    -ok we have figure out what's up, but everybody else hasn't
    -society deteriorates, rapidly
    -Bug-IN and watch the SHTF
    -people are crazy
    -a lot of people are turned
    -Most of the city has been eaten or turned
    -Time to Bug-OUT
    -learn how to survive, even though your skill set is limited

It's a pretty simple formula that gets ramped up very quickly. The things we take for granted that are understood by TWD cast, isn't known to the FTWD cast. They will learn how to NOT trust, how to take down walkers, how to keep themselves fed, how to avoid people.
    These are people from LA, where as with TWD, it's believable that a group of people from GA and KY, who happen to be good ole boys, cops, farmers would know the basics of weapons and survival, we can't take the same things for granted with teachers, professionals, and kids. They are going to learn some VERY hard lessons, quickly, or this will be a very short show.

Hence, why I think this will probably be pretty good. There certainly will have to be more walker and people interactions.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Look at it this way, and obviously I'm by no means an scriptwriter. FTWD has to follow a pretty basic formula which, IMO, will hook the audience:
    -Character/setting intro
    -a curious problem
    -we have a hint of what the problem is
    -ok we have figure out what's up, but everybody else hasn't
    -society deteriorates, rapidly
    -Bug-IN and watch the SHTF
    -people are crazy
    -a lot of people are turned
    -Most of the city has been eaten or turned
    -Time to Bug-OUT
    -learn how to survive, even though your skill set is limited

It's a pretty simple formula that gets ramped up very quickly. The things we take for granted that are understood by TWD cast, isn't known to the FTWD cast. They will learn how to NOT trust, how to take down walkers, how to keep themselves fed, how to avoid people.
    These are people from LA, where as with TWD, it's believable that a group of people from GA and KY, who happen to be good ole boys, cops, farmers would know the basics of weapons and survival, we can't take the same things for granted with teachers, professionals, and kids. They are going to learn some VERY hard lessons, quickly, or this will be a very short show.

Hence, why I think this will probably be pretty good. There certainly will have to be more walker and people interactions.

All words of wisdom my good man!

Please don't misunderstand. I didn't say I won't be watching it.

What I am saying right now is that I am most definitely keenly interested and nibbling at the bait, but as of yet thar ain't no hook in my mouth. Not yet, anyway.

I am hoping to be hooked by next episode as I really love post holocaust movies, books and games.

Aftermath, Morrow Project, Rogue 417 anyone? Anyone...?

Doug

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

All words of wisdom my good man!

Please don't misunderstand. I didn't say I won't be watching it.

What I am saying right now is that I am most definitely keenly interested and nibbling at the bait, but as of yet thar ain't no hook in my mouth. Not yet, anyway.

I am hoping to be hooked by next episode as I really love post holocaust movies, books and games.

Aftermath, Morrow Project, Rogue 417 anyone? Anyone...?

Doug

I personally would like if they took a few episodes to showing the downfall of society. Hopefully, it wont be a night of looting, and the next day everybody is a zombie. I'd like to see the slow progression of decay, with more and more walkers gradually showing up. Hopefully some militia types, who "think" they got everything solved; the hoarders, the gangs, the end of world types.

One thing I've always wondered, where would the POTUS be in an event like this. I'd imagine that he/she, and upper cabinet members would actually be hidden away in some bunker, with a FULL understanding of walkers (how they are created, killed) well before anyone else.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I personally would like if they took a few episodes to showing the downfall of society. Hopefully, it wont be a night of looting, and the next day everybody is a zombie. I'd like to see the slow progression of decay, with more and more walkers gradually showing up. Hopefully some militia types, who "think" they got everything solved; the hoarders, the gangs, the end of world types.

One thing I've always wondered, where would the POTUS be in an event like this. I'd imagine that he/she, and upper cabinet members would actually be hidden away in some bunker, with a FULL understanding of walkers (how they are created, killed) well before anyone else.

Regarding the decline and fall of modern empire this has always been a challenge, and can never be truly covered. I believe each one of us brings our own prejudices and preconceived notions of who would do what to whom into the picture. The same goes for writers as well.

If the disease spreads like the hare, the decline would lean toward very ugly in certain ways as people are overwhelmed. If the disease spreads like the turtle, people will have a chance to run from hot spots but then small towns and communities could be overrun and starve for a lack of resources. Add to this mix a tremendous variety of circumstances along with a huge number of outliers and the stories are endless. How does the story change for a family of four (4) when someone knows how to drive a semi? Now add a pilot into the mix? Simple variables of personal skills could change the story dramatically. A couple of guys who are Iraq war veterans with their families is going to be very different from a couple of guys who are computer programmers in silicon valley.

I also think we would be surprised sometimes about how people would react, but in a positive and negative sense. The Last Ship shows this in a very black & white story line. Two (2) military vessels manned by trained personnel take 180 degree courses from one another. One tries to hold things together and save humanity while the other heads straight into the abyss.

Regarding POTUS and leadership bunkers their power would slowly diminish, in my opinion, as infrastructure broke down. If any one of them were lucky enough to have a large group of military near them that remained loyal, then their control would shrink to wherever they could project power. How quickly it would regrow to having small communities working under this unified chain of command would depend upon a variety of factors as well. Throw into the mix a legitimate cabinet member in the chain of command put in charge of an area who may actually be the President legally, but a surviving Governor who doesn't recognize their authority and doesn't want to share stands in the way, with his own national guard backing him. It could make for some interesting stories in the years to come. Also consider someone like Capt Timothy Kuehhas, the current Commanding Officer of the aircraft carrier USS George Washington stationed in Japan. What if he gets recalled to the USA and upon arrival finds no one to answer to? Then what if two (2) monthes later he finds the former Sec of the Interior Sally Jewel claiming to be POTUS? Does he acknowledge her? Does he understand that she cannot serve as POTUS legally because she was born in London, England? Even IF he understands this does he care to follow the law or to back an acting POTUS whom others have followed?

I believe the faster it happens will be the exact opposite correlation to how much control the government can maintain. Slower, even if highly lethal, will give preciously needed time to bunker down and reinforce CaC. A faster spreading disease and CaC will just get overwhelmed. But again, all of the stories told will have the biases, prejudices and bigotries of the writers involved and colouring the plot and theme.

Regards,

Doug

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

I agree with hoping to see a progression of the fall. I have been in LA county a lot due to work related travel. I can say the downfall of society in a place such as this would be biblical level **** hitting the fan. The urban sprawl would make quickly bugging out nearly impossible unless you could leave via water (pacific ocean). The amount of criminal element would assure extremely high tensions among survivors. I'd suggest heading to Compton, every house there has bars on windows and doors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom