Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

As long as we are talking about all the nice ladies on the show, let's talk about SEX!

Specifically, how do you think the sexual breakdown of population would go?

In the 2010 US Census (I looked) females are 50.83% of the population and males are 49.16%, so basically even here in the USA.

In The Walking Dead, as of the last episode there are seven (7) females and eight (8) males in Ricks group. So in Ricks group females are 46.67% of the population and males are 53.33% of the population. Basically even percentages.

Just for those wondering I counted Rick, Carl, Daryll, Glen, Abraham, Eugene, Ftr Gabriel and Noah as the men and Judith, Maggie, Michonne, Carol, Sasha, Rosita, and Tara as the women.

Do you think men would have a better survival rate in a TEOTWAWKI event or women? If so, why?

For my thinking I believe males would have an advantage. Men are generally stronger and more quick to engage in violence which could be necessary on a more regular basis. In the current season of TWD everyone, both male and female, would be nearly equal in their ability to engage in violence. It would be in the immediate aftermath that I believe men would have the advantage.

Of course, it could be argued that men would expend the energy to protect the women, so they would take more risks and allow the female population to survive.

So, what's your opinion? How would the battle of the sexes fare immediately after an event, say one (1) year, versus where TWD is now at five (5) years?

Regards,

Doug

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Initially the women would outnumber the men. Men would get it defending the family. Once society started breaking down the women would get bit, raped, killed, maybe suicide after their kids die. Long term it would be about 50/50. Women still around would use what resources they have whether that be sex or violence.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I would guess it would be fairly even throughout. A fair number of men in the pre-zombie population are wimps. A fair number of women are "tough". The weak of both sexes would be picked off fairly early, and would continue to struggle even years later (if they hung on). See also: the preacher from last season.

In my limited perspective, those that have a propensity to ACT (violent or otherwise) will survive the longest. Indecision kills.

I also suspect that those who are less aggressive/violent will be at a disadvantage. They have to contend with both zombies and violent living people, while violent folks only compete with the zombies.

If you look at long-term current SHTF situations (sub-Sahara Africa, indigenous Amazon tribes, etc..), the genders are fairly balanced. Short term, it can range wildly. In the current Middle East, women and children are simply killed, leaving many more men (who are also killed eventually). In the old Baltic states during the 80's and 90's, the men went off to fight, leaving more women around.

Cliff Notes: the tough will survive, and that will include a fair number of women.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just because you're a bad-ass dude does not mean you do not have to contend with other bad-ass dudes. Witness Joe the Claimer. He managed to organize a bunch of bad-ass dudes to cooperate rather than do what bad-ass dudes are wont to do WROL, which is hyper-compete and kill one another off. Even then, they came into competition with Rick and Daryl (and Carl) and all of the Claimers lost.

I predict that everyone, male, female, hyper-violent and meek at the ends of the spectra will lose. If you're meek, male or female, you'll get set upon by zeds and eaten in short order. If you're hyper-violent, male or female, you'll wade out into the sea of zeds to deal damage, get overwhelmed and eaten. If you're in the middle, male or female, you'll operate smartly, run when necessary, fight when necessary, and as a result, after a while, the zombie apocalypse will average us out, men and women, so that both we and the people we encounter will be of the middle of the road, not too timid, not too violent, temperament.

I consider indecision to be a form of meekness. You don't know where to run, and can't work up the gumption to fight = meek. If you can decide, based on intrinsic knowledge and immediate observation of the situation, where to run or how to fight to maximize your chances of survival is not meekness, even if the decision is to run away.

Last edited:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    For my thinking I believe males would have an advantage. Men are generally stronger and more quick to engage in violence which could be necessary on a more regular basis. In the current season of TWD everyone, both male and female, would be nearly equal in their ability to engage in violence. It would be in the immediate aftermath that I believe men would have the advantage.

Hmmm.... let's not forget behavior in the analysis. Yes, men are stronger. They are also far more likely to fight. While either one might encounter zombies, women are more likely to avoid confrontations with other people.

The real question on population though is the children. Can they be protected? It's a reasonable theory that children like Judith have better antibody protection to the zombie infection and will survive provided they aren't torn apart or killed by another human. IOW, they could survive minor bites. That could be the long term answer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just because you're a bad-ass dude does not mean you do not have to contend with other bad-ass dudes. Witness Joe the Claimer. He managed to organize a bunch of bad-ass dudes to cooperate rather than do what bad-ass dudes are wont to do WROL, which is hyper-compete and kill one another off. Even then, they came into competition with Rick and Daryl (and Carl) and all of the Claimers lost.

I predict that everyone, male, female, hyper-violent and meek at the ends of the spectra will lose. If you're meek, male or female, you'll get set upon by zeds and eaten in short order. If you're hyper-violent, male or female, you'll wade out into the sea of zeds to deal damage, get overwhelmed and eaten. If you're in the middle, male or female, you'll operate smartly, run when necessary, fight when necessary, and as a result, after a while, the zombie apocalypse will average us out, men and women, so that both we and the people we encounter will be of the middle of the road, not too timid, not too violent, temperament.

I consider indecision to be a form of meekness. You don't know where to run, and can't work up the gumption to fight = meek. If you can decide, based on intrinsic knowledge and immediate observation of the situation, where to run or how to fight to maximize your chances of survival is not meekness, even if the decision is to run away.

So....only the centrists will survive?????

Sorry Cathy, I had to....:)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I just received a sneak peak for this Sunday. Not much to go on, but it looks interesting.

The Walking Dead - Sneak Peek: Episode 511: The Walking Dead: The Distance ? AMC

The guy seems to have some good discipline. From last weeks episode he knows Ricks name. I am wondering what group he is from and why?

I don't think he was with the Termites, but that is just a gut reaction. He wasn't from the hospital, this is way too soon. The Claimers wouldn't have had anything to do with him. He could be with the group that took Beth. She was found by the hospital police, but we never received confirmation that they were the ones that grabbed her from Daryl. Everyone from the Governors group was absorbed by Ricks group, those few that survived.

He seems really clean and healthy, a very rare state to be in. Only the hospital police were that clean. Even the Termites were scuffed up.

Regards,

Doug

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    To All,

I just received a sneak peak for this Sunday. Not much to go on, but it looks interesting.

The Walking Dead - Sneak Peek: Episode 511: The Walking Dead: The Distance ? AMC

The guy seems to have some good discipline. From last weeks episode he knows Ricks name. I am wondering what group he is from and why?

I don't think he was with the Termites, but that is just a gut reaction. He wasn't from the hospital, this is way too soon. The Claimers wouldn't have had anything to do with him. He could be with the group that took Beth. She was found by the hospital police, but we never received confirmation that they were the ones that grabbed her from Daryl. Everyone from the Governors group was absorbed by Ricks group, those few that survived.

He seems really clean and healthy, a very rare state to be in. Only the hospital police were that clean. Even the Termites were scuffed up.

Regards,

Doug

Hes from a whole new group. Keep in mind, they have been on the road for at least 3 weeks at this point and have covered considerable ground on their trip to DC. They decided at Noahs old safe zone to continue on to DC, thinking that even though there is no cure, it may still be the best shot at survival.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm still catching up on Netflix, and I have to say it's getting harder to ignore things like seeing them driving down roads with obviously recently mowed grass on both sides. And there's the way that two people will be kindof doing something important, but then, they stop what they're doing so that they can get in an important piece of dialogue. In the real world, there'd be times when whatever needs to be said would be said while doing that important thing that you really do need to be doing. And, would they still have flashlight batteries to waste after more than a year in?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm still catching up on Netflix, and I have to say it's getting harder to ignore things like seeing them driving down roads with obviously recently mowed grass on both sides. And there's the way that two people will be kindof doing something important, but then, they stop what they're doing so that they can get in an important piece of dialogue. In the real world, there'd be times when whatever needs to be said would be said while doing that important thing that you really do need to be doing. And, would they still have flashlight batteries to waste after more than a year in?

Being a "battery guy", working in power sources my whole career, the answer is NO (on the flashlight batteries). Now, some of the lithium batteries publish 5-7 years shelf life, I can believe up to 4, so if they were using the kind of flashlights that use lithium batteries I'd be on board to a degree. However, obvious C and D cell alkaline size flashlights - no way.

About car batteries...All of them are dead by now. You're not going to revive them. The only shot at a car battery you have now is to activate a new/shelved battery by pouring in the electrolyte. I haven't seen them do that. All I've seen is pouring water in an already installed battery and starting the car - ain't gonna happen. You could use a new battery after activating it and start a car...you might use a crank up booster too, but then there are fuel issues from old gas sitting in a tank for over a year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom