• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I am working toward being more prepared. Slow process, but I am getting there and getting more buy-in from the wife.

We have a neighbor who built a new place a few years back. He included a panic room. Reinforced concrete walls, ceiling and floor. To this day it is full of old computer junk, some holiday decorations and still does not have a door! Now that doesn't come close to my basement/crawlspace in a tornado.

Some people have the idea and then it fades with time.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I might have missed it, but a good bow and a lot of arrows or a crossbow and bolts is quiet and deadly. As long as you retreive your arrow/bolt, the "ammo" is renewable. Hand operated pitcher pump, either above a check valve on your pump or drive your own well somewhere so your not reliant on city water when the power goes down. The SHTF scenario is different for each person I believe, I hope all of us are able to survive and also network somehow to aid each other as there is strength in numbers as well as establishing a community so some can hunt while others build while others guard.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Update on the unprepared family member....He has done some shopping

He sent me an email that he has 8 cases of water, stocked up on paper towels and toilet paper. He bought a shelf for the basement and has stocked it with some canned foods.

He and his wife bought about 25 of the items on the list since they realized they are good to have at the house. I have no clue as to what they bought, but they are moving in the right direction. He said the items the got went into two big plastic totes and they have not even taken them out of the packages yet.

They are going to change shopping habits and shop for the week or two week intervals since its just the two of them. That will get them into the planning stages better.

They both said that the idea of family coming to them with nothing and them having almost nothing was the eye opener.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    He sent me an email that I just opened.

This is what they have so far. Its a good start and he is interested in getting a shotgun for the bedroom.

5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
    8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
    9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
    10. Rice -
    11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
    13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
    20. Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
    22. Vitamins
    24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
    26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
    27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
    29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
    30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
    35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
    36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
    37. First aid kits
    38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
    41. Flour, yeast & salt
    42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
    44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
    46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS 47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)
    48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)
    49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
    53. Duct Tape
    54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
    55. Candles

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Glad to hear it Longbow, the more folks we all can encourage to prepare a little, the less zombies there will be.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    With modern cars even a small tool set will not help much....

Having a running car is not a need, it is a convenience... who's to say you would even have a car to use when it comes down to it.

To give you an idea on my thinking I have at least one flast light that does not take batteries..........

The last thing I would ever prep for or worry about is a working car.....

For a big natural disaster your car will be near usless anyway.

P.S. Just because you don't see preps does not mean he does not have any hidden... and for all you know he is playing dumb to keep you away if things get bad.......

A car becomes useless as transportation if there are enough downed trees, power poles and buildings to block the roads. IMO basic vehicle tools should at least include a hatchet, saw and tow strap. With patience and basic tools a single roadblock can be cleared. The tradoff would have to be how much farther you could go in the car vs. the labor required to clear the road. If a single downed tree is blocking your path and driving would let you get 100 miles down the road by sunset then it is worth having some basic tools to clear the road.

Even if a car is useless as transportation, keeping the tanks topped off is still a good idea. Think of all the uses that a running albeit stationary car can be used for:
    -light
    -cell phone charger
    -place to get warm
    -am/fm radio
    -spare gasoline for a generator
    -used with a power inverter as a backup generator

I'll agree that a car is a luxury, but since I own one I'll include it in my list of options if SHTF.

Last edited:

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I agree with the above statement about cars. The problem with a list that is considered the end all needs, I have a 4 wheel drive pickup with a winch. That doesn't necessarily make me better prepared, it is something I use and need so have it. I also have four saddle horses and a team as well as a buggy pony and a little cart pony. Not everyone needs to have a horse on their list, but when the gas runs out I can still farm my place. The saddle horses will be better to ride than trying to drive anywhere. So there are tradeoffs for your situation and place of living. Being prepared is a lot of mind set like being aware of your surroundings and the people in the vicinity.
    I didn't understand your comment on the bow stock. :dunno:
    Interesting list and thread. :yesway:

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield

I might have missed it, but a good bow and a lot of arrows or a crossbow and bolts is quiet and deadly. As long as you retreive your arrow/bolt, the "ammo" is renewable. Hand operated pitcher pump, either above a check valve on your pump or drive your own well somewhere so your not reliant on city water when the power goes down. The SHTF scenario is different for each person I believe, I hope all of us are able to survive and also network somehow to aid each other as there is strength in numbers as well as establishing a community so some can hunt while others build while others guard.
    Iwas curios about the hand pump idea,is there some place that sells kits to do this?:dunno:

shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    Great story Longbow! I didn't think it was gonna end this well when you started the thread! Nice to see it happen when someone actually thinks it through!

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Good show, Longbow! I'm not as big a prepper as I'd like. But most people think I'm nuts IF I bring up the subject. The neighbors I have think it's crazy to spend more than $2 on a flashlight!

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Iwas curios about the hand pump idea,is there some place that sells kits to do this?:dunno:

I have a shallow well on my farm providing water for my home and barns. As the pipe comes in the basement wall horizontally, I have a T with a cap. In the event the power is out for an extended period of time, I can take the cap off and screw on the hand pump and pump my own water. For the cattle, horses and hogs, would go to the pond and dip or use a gasoline pump to pull water as I don't think I could pump as much as they drink in a day!!!

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    What are some ideas for heating water to take baths or showers in a SHTF situation. Cold showers suck.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Longbow,
    Good job getting their eyes opened. You may have saved their lives.

I struggle with this with my father in law. He's convinced this country is headed towards a civil war, but the only food he has is from the last trip to the grocery. They have no long term food or water. Beign realistic though, if the in-laws don't have enough of their prescription meds on hand it's not going to be a concern for very long since they are both way out of shape.

It's weird how many people I know who seem concerned for what's going on in this world, but then act like you're crazy if you bring up any kind of preparations even for something as simple as when the power goes out.

I'm impressed that you got those people to make a 180 degree turn around. Hopefully they'll get more into it, but I'm impressed that they went frmo nothing to where they're at now.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Nice work Longbow, and great list. I'll be the first to admit I check your list against my supplies and noticed a few things lacking I hadn't thought of before.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    What are some ideas for heating water to take baths or showers in a SHTF situation. Cold showers suck.
    A couple of nested black trash bags filled with water and enough sunshine can do the trick depending on the ambient temperatures.
    A wipe-down with a wet towel (hang it by a fire for a bit if the cold is a concern) will get you passably clean.

Top Bottom