• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    My brother took an A Coil out of an old furnace and set it on a grill to heat water. Worked great. Thats one option,as long as you have a pump. I have also seen a frensel lense used to heat water.
    I would say 90 some percent of people ,I talk to are as unprepared as your inlaws.
    Of course last year at this time,I wasnt any better off than them, myself. Something opened my eyes,not sure what it was but things are starting to come together.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    My brother took an A Coil out of an old furnace and set it on a grill to heat water. Worked great. Thats one option,as long as you have a pump. I have also seen a frensel lense used to heat water.
    I would say 90 some percent of people ,I talk to are as unprepared as your inlaws.
    Of course last year at this time,I wasnt any better off than them, myself. Something opened my eyes,not sure what it was but things are starting to come together.
    ----
    We are meeting for lunch in a few days to discuss what they have done. They are talking about getting camping gear on sale to have different ways to cook, clean, sleep and have another shelter.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Sounds like your talk with them has had an increasing impact. Mention to them that there is plenty of like new outdoor gear on ebay. You can probably get twice as much gear as you would have normally for the same amount of money.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    ----
    We are meeting for lunch in a few days to discuss what they have done. They are talking about getting camping gear on sale to have different ways to cook, clean, sleep and have another shelter.
    Never mine,miss read post.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    The group on the outside... as in the aggressors who want only to steal the preps of the people inside the compound?

Surviving is surviving.... No one thinks twice when a lion scavenges from smaller, weaker animals.

Life is tough, rough, rude and mean and wont give an inch if you give it. If you want to live, you got to take that breath of fresh air.

Culturally and society wise, we are, and rightly we are programed to view the mentality as opposed to civilization, but there will be two legged wolves, and they will most certainly come a knocking, and that is life.

Best bet, kill them, and impale they're bodies, heads excerta as warnings, a testiment to what will happen to those who make similar attempts or has the desire, and in such action, you will be a version of the two legged wolve, the lion who didnt give up his meal to the hordes

What are some ideas for heating water to take baths or showers in a SHTF situation. Cold showers suck.

I'd go for creature comforts, and say bath, obtain something, a container that wont burn but conduct the heat nicely, + fire and you got a nice bath.

Perhaps heating rocks and dumping them in could be an idea.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Best bet, kill them, and impale they're bodies, heads excerta as warnings, a testiment to what will happen to those who make similar attempts

Just keep in mind that the repercussions of doing such things could be just as or even more monstrous.

I have no problem with "frontier justice" in the absence of law enforcement, however I think it should try to be carried out with some modicum of decorum.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    We had a great lunch. Gave him some printouts of things to read up.

He is going to sell his Lexus and get a 4 wheel drive truck. His wife said they have 6 large totes filled with items that they could move if they had to. He's getting a ford

I don't think they are going to get too carried away, but by thanksgiving, he will be in much better shape. He is going to show me his progress when we come over.

This went much better than I thought. I was about to write him off.

He is going to get his lifetime permit and we are trying to talk his wife into one also.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    This has taken an unexpected turn for the better.

One of his neigbors was asking my brother in law what he was doing with the stuff in the totes when they came over to watch the ball game

He said longbow said to get better prepared to have stuff if family had to show up in an emergency. So the two of them were drinking and talking watching the ball game and he converted his neighbor to see the light. He forwarded my emails to him and I have a few new ones from the neighbor asking for ideas.

Two converts in about a week! How are you all doing?

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    What are some ideas for heating water to take baths or showers in a SHTF situation. Cold showers suck.

I think those big rubbermaid 60gallon trashcans (clean ones of course) filed with water and left in the sun for a few hours would work well for this job. You would have to put a spigot in the bottom beforehand and place them on a platform or roof before filling with water.

Top Bottom