Not open for further replies.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Oh no. I'm all for the theory on what this bill is TRYING to do. Private businesses should absolutely reserve the right to serve who they want. BUT, that doesnt mean you have to tell them WHY you arent serving them. THis bill is badly written. It has very loose wording that can trigger some very nasty circumstances, THey are now tryign to fix the bill..

The other nail in the coffin is that Pence has made it clear that he "will not pass any legislature barring discrimination" why would he say this IF the bill wasn't really about discrimination? Either way it sends the wrong idea wabout indiana.

i still do get it???......law reads as the law reads.....

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have to keep my lawn mowed, there is no gay provision in that ordinance. Should they protest?

Actually -
    If you mow your lawn too short, it starts to itch. Now you're Gay! :gheyhi:

Remember, I'm from CA and was told these were their rules. Just be careful how you trim.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    My brother just sent me a text...He and the wife had tickets, hotel reservations, and a babysitter for the Wilco concert in Indianapolis....Just got word that they cancelled the concert due to this law....

Brother is mad at Wilco...."Agree with me or I will cancel my concert..."

Remember when rockers rebelled instead of threw hissy fits over laws they did not like????

It's Ok to mistreat your customers if you are on the Johnny Popular side. Didn't you know that? ;)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The bill does NOT directly target a sexual preference. It is coming after so close of a debate and ban on same-sex marriage that its getting the LBGT hate (or whatever acronym you wish). It also does not help that it was sponsered and backed by the same people trying to ban- same sex marriage in indiana.

This bill in reality can be used against everyone. EVERYONE should be offended. What if Shapiro's deli no longer served Christians? There are plenty of people out there that would use this law to hide behind and even treat Christians as second class. It is no stretch of the imagination that it will be used however we humans can skew it.

How does the law enable or facilitate such behavior?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Oh no. I'm all for the theory on what this bill is TRYING to do. Private businesses should absolutely reserve the right to serve who they want. BUT, that doesnt mean you have to tell them WHY you arent serving them. THis bill is badly written. It has very loose wording that can trigger some very nasty circumstances, THey are now tryign to fix the bill..

The other nail in the coffin is that Pence has made it clear that he "will not pass any legislature barring discrimination" why would he say this IF the bill wasn't really about discrimination? Either way it sends the wrong idea wabout indiana.

Actually, no: they don't. There are extant compelling government interests that refute the "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" stance. Those extant compelling government interests still remain, even with the enactment of this law. This law doesn't provide any refuge for anyone attempting to take such a stance.

All it does is require the government to use strict scrutiny when enacting/defending laws (etc.) that cause a substantial burden on freedom of religious expression.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My brother just sent me a text...He and the wife had tickets, hotel reservations, and a babysitter for the Wilco concert in Indianapolis....Just got word that they cancelled the concert due to this law....

Brother is mad at Wilco...."Agree with me or I will cancel my concert..."

Remember when rockers rebelled instead of threw hissy fits over laws they did not like????

Stones tickets go on sale April 10th... and they aren't canceling. There are rockers, and there are rockers. Just sayin'... :)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    This really is a panic.

Disgruntled republicrats write a law that is clearly and unashamedly designed to try to get back at gays for having the audacity to win their battle for marriage equality (There!!! Now try to buy a cake or flowers or rent a hall for your pervert wedding!!! NEENER NEENER NEENER!!!)

The law, predictably, comes back and begins taking huge bites out of their asses.

Now their governor has to BEG them to send him a law that will cancel the desired effect of the FIRST law so that they don't have to lose face by repealing it.

You just can't make this crap up.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    This really is a panic.

Disgruntled republicrats write a law that is clearly and unashamedly designed to try to get back at gays for having the audacity to win their battle for marriage equality (There!!! Now try to buy a cake or flowers or rent a hall for your pervert wedding!!! NEENER NEENER NEENER!!!)

your projecting
    and you seem to have an abnormal degree of malice on this issue

Last edited:

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I'm all for barefoot rights as there are no laws that restrict it. No health codes or anything. Only ones are really OSHA and that only covers employees, not customers.

Exactly
    OSHA has no provision to protect gay rights.
    it must be a license to "allow discrimination"

we must march and protest to ensure that all legislation in the future will have a gay rights discrimination protection provision.
    even if said legislation has absolutely, completely, and unequivocally nothing to do with gays.

remember that having no laws that restrict it is a "license" to discriminate by "allowing it"

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Free rein? It seems the burden of proof is on Fred to prove that this is a substantial burden to his religious conscience. I imagine the other side will get to speak about that too.

Do you honestly believe that after this ****storm, ANY business owner would try to use this law for that purpose?

And no. These issues shouldn't be settled in court. If it's settled in court, one side will have its feelings hurt. Okay, so outside of settling this in court, Fred says he's not going to serve Adam. Adam says he's going to paste the photo of the ***** cake all over the interwebs. That will probably resolve itself, probably with less hurt feelings than going through court.

Absolutely. I do believe there is a small minority that will seek out the attention such an action will bring. You have to question the sanity and motivations of anyone willing to do so, but I have no doubt there are people out there just waiting to be this causes sacrificial lamb.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Absolutely. I do believe there is a small minority that will seek out the attention such an action will bring. You have to question the sanity and motivations of anyone willing to do so, but I have no doubt there are people out there just waiting to be this causes sacrificial lamb.

You know, it's not like they can just refuse service and have no consequences. There is cost and there is a risk associated with it. I just don't see why anyone would risk it. I think if christian business owners have a problem with whatever any group wants them to make, no matter how ridiculous it is, they'll have to either close up or comply.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Good article. I really don't understand the basis for the outcry against this law other than fear and ignorance. Equality should be a good thing, but seems as if some people will never be satisfied with equality, but insist on domination, oppression, and suppression. For a generation that prides itself on tolerance, we must be THE most INTOLERANT generation of Americans that has ever lived. Why the need to force someone to participate in something that they don't want to have any part of and can not accept? Does anyone claim a "right" to order a ham sandwich from a Jewish Delicatessen? Of course not. Christian participation in a homosexual wedding, whether by virtue of baking a cake, providing photographer services, renting the facility, musicians, etc., is just as ridiculous.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Even the Eiteljorg Museum has gotten on the bandwagon. Just got their "We Welcome All" email. Here's a little snippet of what they're using to prove that they welcome all...

"Cultural diversity enriches our world and is an important part of the Eiteljorg Museum's mission. For this reason, we adopted an official diversity statement more than a decade ago. Exhibitions like Blake Little: Photographs from the Gay Rodeo and our ongoing Out West programming are illustrative of our effort to introduce guests to the many peoples who are a part of Western and Native art, history and cultures. The museum has always been, and will continue to be, open and welcoming to all."

Isn't this a little like saying, "Look at me! I'm not a racist! I know a black guy!", or "I'm not a homophobe! A guy I work with is gay!"? :rolleyes: As for the Photographs from the Gay Rodeo... I'm not sure I want to see those photographs... :): But hey, ride 'em cowboy!

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    You know, it's not like they can just refuse service and have no consequences. There is cost and there is a risk associated with it. I just don't see why anyone would risk it. I think if christian business owners have a problem with whatever any group wants them to make, no matter how ridiculous it is, they'll have to either close up or comply.

They'll probably have to close way before the lawsuit is over. All it takes is one popular person on Twitter to rile people against it and effectively ruin the image. That's more true for small businesses. Chik-fil-a had a long, long line at Circle Centre Mall today so they're fine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom