• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You can apply your form of common sense and declare that selfish people have no impact on violence in our society. ( You DID say you disagree with all that he said.)
    You can even expand his concern about the murder of unborn children into all forms of violence, even though he didn't say that.
    You can have the opinion that he said all violence is due to un-chastity; that doesn't make it true.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I just try to apply common sense. And my particular form or common sense tells me that our society is murderous due to drugs, greed, and hate....not because people like to have sex, cheat on their spouses, rub the genie, are gay, or use condoms or birth control pills? I'm betting you are guilty of at least a few of the latter, and hopefully you're not murderous.

Masturbation is harmless in itself, so I'm wondering how it got to be one of the principal ills of society, unless they figure it's a "gateway perversion".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just try to apply common sense. And my particular form or common sense tells me that our society is murderous due to drugs, greed, and hate....not because people like to have sex, cheat on their spouses, rub the genie, are gay, or use condoms or birth control pills? I'm betting you are guilty of at least a few of the latter, and hopefully you're not murderous.

Why has our society fallen under the influence of drugs, greed, and hate?

I suspect the root cause of both sets of observations is the same.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The church has had a hardon for masturbation for a long time. That came out wrong. Thing is, "murderous" in this context depends whether your threshold is before or after birth. Mine is before, and I largely agree with what he said. Once you get comfortable murdering the preborn, it cheapens other life. The objective of sex, or any other pleasure, without consequences, contributes as much as anything as a destructive force to society.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Why has our society fallen under the influence of drugs, greed, and hate?

I suspect the root cause of both sets of observations is the same.

I believe that the gullibility of the American people in allowing advertisers to convince us that we need to buy their stuff, leading to a life-style of both parents having to work outside the home to afford those things, is the single biggest factor in the decline of our society.

It's like we're on the highway to hell, and we're riding there in a plush vehicle with heated seats.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I believe that the gullibility of the American people in allowing advertisers to convince us that we need to buy their stuff, leading to a life-style of both parents having to work outside the home to afford those things, is the single biggest factor in the decline of our society.

It's like we're on the highway to hell, and we're riding there in a plush vehicle with heated seats.

That sounds like greed and selfishness, only restated.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    As the OP, I obviously pretty much agree and find it sad. Morality is the underpinning of a civil society. Here are a few quotes:

Noah Webster, author of the first American Speller and the first Dictionary stated, "The moral principles and precepts contained in the scriptures ought to form the basis of all our civil constitutions and laws. . . All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery, and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible."

Robert Winthrop, Speaker of the U. S. House, 1847-1849, "Men, in a word, must necessarily be controlled either by a power within them or by a power without them; either by the Word of God or by the strong arm of man; either by the Bible or by the bayonet."

George Washington, General of the Revolutionary Army, president of the Constitutional Convention, First President of the United States of America, Father of our nation, " Religion and morality are the essential pillars of civil society."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As the OP, I obviously pretty much agree and find it sad. Morality is the underpinning of a civil society. Here are a few quotes:

Noah Webster, author of the first American Speller and the first Dictionary stated, "The moral principles and precepts contained in the scriptures ought to form the basis of all our civil constitutions and laws. . . All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery, and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible."

Robert Winthrop, Speaker of the U. S. House, 1847-1849, "Men, in a word, must necessarily be controlled either by a power within them or by a power without them; either by the Word of God or by the strong arm of man; either by the Bible or by the bayonet."

George Washington, General of the Revolutionary Army, president of the Constitutional Convention, First President of the United States of America, Father of our nation, " Religion and morality are the essential pillars of civil society."

Yeah, but they lived in a much less enlightened time. We know so much more about psychology and sociology (science so called) now than they did then.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    This is the "Sad But True Pictures" thread. If a pictures gets posted that spawn a discussion requiring more than a few posts, then please start a new thread on that topic in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Sad but true.

latest

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    "It's a good time to be David Bowie ..." The New York Times ran a brief article Monday, Jan. 11, 2016 trumpeting singer David Bowie's upcoming Carnegie Hall honor. However, unbeknownst to the newspaper, Bowie's death would be announced before the issue would make it to news readers, creating an unintentional and ill-timed gaffe.

bowie_good_day.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom